what I am thinking is dedicated gaming console may do no better job than ipad 3

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It's not only the time issue, I've no Max Payne experience before and I just found this game is so great on ipad recently.
    But I won't play it on PC. Yes, same game same thing, but ipad feels better to me, I dunno why, maybe it's so called user experience. I can play it anytime I want and throw ipad away anytime I want quit the game. And I could play it in the bed.

2. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm also one flying the flag for ios gaming over dedicated consoles for much of the reasons alredy mentioned in this thread I.e time, family commitments, mobility and overall experience.

My iPhone and new iPad have since replaced my console needs, so much so that I'm not interested in the next gen Xbox, wii and playstations.

3. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Onlive is making a controller for the ipad and will enable the onlive app to play games pretty soon. Although your ipad has to be connected to high speed internet and is really just making your ipad serve as a monitor (A high quality one), it is going to be the only way the ipad will get AAA gaming for awhile.

4. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Doesnt matter whats in the ipad, now or in a few years time because the type of games for xbox/playstation are just not coming out on IOS and never will be

5. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    This

6. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    IOS already get The Walking Dead now.
    Games like nova3 made me want cease my xbox live gold membership subscription. In fact, I dunno know how MS dare to charge for onlineplay.
    And Great Big War is very complete and deep, there are even no such games on console.
    But I will keep my console and I would buy next gen xbox probably. There are advantages for a console, but it's not superior.

7. If I had to choose between an xbox 360 and new ipad, I would pick the new ipad hands down. While the 360 plays better hardcore games, the new ipad does everything else better like internet, casual games, photography, music, tv watching, youtube, etc etc etc.

Plus it is portable. Plus I hate paying $50 for a game and find out in one hour, I don't like it.

So hands down, new ipad for me. Don't think I'll ever buy a console game system again, just like I'll probably never buy a traditional laptop again. Don't want to say console games systems are old school and will vanish like arcades of yesteryear, but they could.

Just wish the ipad would get a wireless bluetooth joystick soon. Then it would be a true contender to consoles in gaming.

8. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    An iOS device will never be equal to a console as it isnt taken seriously enough, even if the specs one day matched with dedicated gaming consoles, for example people won't think "ohhh infinity blade dungeons is out exclusively for iPad, I hear its good so I'm now going to buy an iPad just for that one game" however people are prepared to do that with consoles, eg. I'm thinking if buying a 360 again just to play halo 4, even though I own a ps3 and have owned a 360 previously, just my 2 cents

9. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    I have been quiet on this forum for almost a year now, but I had to respond to this.

"Whatever you're smoking, I want some!" Only the mighty Ayahuasca plant can manifest such delusions.

10. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

^ This.

11. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars

I think you missed the title of the thread. As you mentioned, the iPad does do everything better, except gaming. So why would you agree that a "gaming" console could be replaced by an ipad if everything you enjoy better about the iPad isn't related to gaming. Trust me, you'll get over your iPad in ...........let's say January of next year.

The iPad is a laptop replacement at best, not a gaming console replacement. iOS gaming has lost its luster to half-baked mediocre experiences, with the exception of maybe 12 games total:

Space Miner
    Field Runners 2
    N.O.V.A 3
    MC3
    Marvel vs. Capcom2
    Aircoaster
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Real Racing 2
    Tiny Troopers
    Anomaly Warzone Earth
    Zen Pinball
    Bejeweled

A good chunk of people erase a title or stop playing after 5 minutes (truth be told). When was the last time you did that on a console game? Just saying.

12. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Order and Chaos Online is better than most "MMO's" on consoles. On top of that, the Sacred Odyssey game from Gamelost was a blast, and the entire Chaos Rings series is well made. You are speaking in general opinion terms, and stating it like its a fact when you speak of "these games are half-baked except maybe 12 games".

13. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we have more games,not only ones you mentioned .
    chaos rings 2, dead space, Great big war , crazy hedgy, chop chop caveman, Death Rally, KOF , Paper Monsters, shadowgun, Swordigo, sega sonic racing, finger shot rpg, the walking dead, spell sword, waking mars, scribblenauts.
    just name some of them above.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #34 backtothis, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    In terms of gaming, the main advantages the iOS has over traditional consoles are the variety the AppStore offers and the insanely low costs of games. There really is something for everyone. I can grab a $0.99 game and delete it in 10 minutes without a care in the world, which happens on a weekly basis. $2.99, $4.99, $6.99..whatever. The only "expensive" games there are on the AppStore are Square Enix's RPGs. I actually read reviews for console games before buying them like I do before going to see a movie.

Since this is TA after all, there's really no point in mentioning how good the iPad is for browsing/music/etc. in comparison to a 360. I love the iOS, but I don't think it really offers the same kind of experience console gamers are looking for. They can definitely coexist though.
    1. Order and Chaos isn't even 1% of World of WarCraft.
    2. Try a Legend of Zelda game. You'll see that Sacred Odyssey is a pretty incompetent clone.
    3. Square Enix charges $60 for their console JRPGs instead of $15 for a reason. The Chaos Rings series can't compare with the modern Final Fantasy titles.

You do get what you paid for though. iOS games aren't the same experience as console games, but they're a hell of a lot cheaper and more accessible.

I have 12,000 posts here and hundreds of iOS games, ranging from Angry Birds to Real Racing 2. I also have a nice library of 360 games. I play freemium builders like Happy Street on the iOS. I've also spent hundreds of hours on "hardcore" PC games like Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2. It really all depends on what you're looking for. When you're waiting in a 2-hour line at the DPS, you sure as hell can't bring your 360 with you.

I do think the iOS is the best portable gaming experience today though. The DS/3DS and Vita aren't too amazing to say the least. I just think it's too hard for big projects to succeed since prices are so flexible on the AppStore. Everything, even if it's by Rockstar or Epic, goes down to $0.99 eventually.

15. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with you, IOS still can't compete with console in terms of big deep games, but, it depends on what genre of the game is.
    For game like Great Big War Game, common, it's deep and complete, need many hours to finish the campagin mode. and it even has a online-versus mode. Even consoles can't offer the same thing and I guess people would not want to play a turn based tactic game in front of TV.
    I'd agree IOS may can never compete with console games like Mass Effect due to their limited budget.
    But for now, I don't think COD is that superior. This title is a yearly remade of a same game. But MC series is keep improving itself.
    COD is still much better, but the gap is shrinking.
    let's see something already happened, the amazing spider man(IOS) is already better than it's counterpart of 3ds--which is supposed to be a dedicated gaming handheld.
    anyway, i will still buy a console for next gen just for triple A games---btw, I even don't think COD is a triple A game. But I won't buy it when the x720 comes out, I need time(maybe 2 years) to see the new console build it's own library of games.
    By that time, how competent the new console is compared with a Ipad 6, I doubt that.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, TBS games definitely work better on portables. We'll see what the future holds for the iOS. Things are looking pretty good so far.

17. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Yeah but kind of surprised GBWG isn't doing so well on the charts after a good week or two after the feature by apple. Ravenmark is another TBS that doesn't even crack the overall charts. Is it possible that TBS titles are a niche genre? Cause I agree that TBS is perfect for the iOS platform

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    TBS is definitely a niche genre. They take a great amount of planning and thinking. Strategy games are pretty much just a niche genre overall. The games that tend to succeed on the charts are big-name titles and "addictive" casual games.

19. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Just some thoughts...

I normally look the other way when I see something as (intentionally?) polarizing as this on a videogame forum, buuuut, here is some food for thought - EA (wheather you like them or not), one of the worlds biggest game publishers, has stated that mobile gaming is one of, if not the, biggest growth sector they have. Also, Epic has stated that in terms of production dollars vs. money earned, Infinity Blade is their most profitable game. More so than Gears of War. (Thanks TA for that info)

I personally love (and mostly prefer) where iOS gaming is right now - a haven for retro and niche games (and just for the record, when I say that I mean 16-bit era stuff, rpg's, Amiga games, strategy, etc.), with the occasional 'big' budget title in there, like IB.

But I could see, and sense that, eventually there will be games with 25 gig file sizes (not any time soon, but within a few years), with tablets replacing consoles.

Even many of the 'AAA' developers are talking about how the PS4/Xbox720/WiiU are going to be the final generation of consoles.

I love the physical copies (though I also love being able to redownload something that I have 'electronically' purchased. Not to fond of the elimination of the used market, though...) and physical controllers; I just feel the industry as a majority is headed toward tablet gaming.

20. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    1) World of Warcraft isn't on console. I was comparing Order and Chaos Online to console MMOs. You don't miss much. You can do the same things.

2) I love Zelda. It is my favorite series, ever. I enjoyed Sacred Odyssey because, for me, it was the next best thing to Zelda. Other console games that have tried to be similar have sucked in my eyes. To each their own though.