what I am thinking is dedicated gaming console may do no better job than ipad 3

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Meh... I suppose there are people who approach mmorpgs differently. You can do the same things on an android phone..why get an iphone? =/ Because an iphone does the 'same things' just so much better ( and in a prettier way). The best thing about WoW and FF11 (even ff14) is that there is an insane amount of lore in them and this coupled with great landscape design renders the worlds very believable and alive...something which requires huge production values and something which order & chaos lacks. mmorpgs have always been more popular and feel more native on the PC...but if you want to talk about console mmorpgs.. there is FF11, Square's best selling FF title and DC universe.

Have you really played twilight princess or skyward sword? x_X Or are you comparing Sacred Odyssey to the old technologically crippled Zelda games?

I can tell you are a gamer who highly values game play and solid game play mechanics over story, world development , character developments, beautiful landscape designs etc. Which is fine...but these aspects are honestly things that are lacking in mobile games. If you take a respectable console game and strip away all these components..you will just end up with a gameloft game =/

2. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    You aren't understanding where I am coming from and you continue to make assumptions. Name the best Zelda clone? You keep talking about WoW when we are specifically talking about console games. And FF14 is one of the worst mmos ever. I'm done on this thread though. Every time I post you try to tell me what I think, what I have or have not played, and what I value. It's annoying.

3. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Why talk about Zelda clones at all when Zelda is a bona fide legitimate console franchise that is still going strong? The point of this thread is to compare console games with their ios counterparts. I think this is the 1st time I have posted on this thread or replied to your posts? x_X I am pretty sure I included ff11 in my reply too are you going to ignore the validity of my statements because I brought up wow? We can go on and on ..but the refusal to give each other the benefit of the doubt is what keeps 'discussions' going on the internet isn't it ? >.>

4. That is ridiculous. Of course, if you take the best fps game from the xbox360, it is going to be better than Nova 3, if we discuss it that way, then there is nothing to discuss.

But, which one has better casual games....

New ipad

Which one has a better retina screen...

New ipad

Which one has great touchscreen controls...

New ipad

Which one is portable...

New ipad

Which one has free games and one dollar games?

New ipad

Which one can you play both games on your ipad and phone?

New ipad

Which system has great tilt controls?

New ipad

Which one comes out with a new version with better games every year?

New ipad

Which one can I play on my toilet?

New ipad

Etc, etc, etc...

And that does not include non gaming aspects like internet, photography, videos, youtube, music, etc...

I admit the best fps games are on the consoles now. But many games like Nova 3, mc3, dead trigger, deadspace, etc aren't bad. Plus they are portable.

But games are like $50-$60 with no refund policies, so that is crazy. If you don't like a game, you are stuck with it, huge waste of money.

Plus consoles, for a typical family, you have just one, so children get in trouble if they play too much, and adults can't play too much out of making themselves look like bad role models. Imagine playing dead trigger in front of your kids all the time.

So if you want to compare the best fps on xbox360 vs the best on the new ipad, sure, it will lose. But you have to look at the overall picture, even if it does or does not include non gaming aspects.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #45 backtothis, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    This is a pretty silly argument. All of the points you bring up can be countered if you're willing to spend the money. The only one that's correct is the most obvious one: better casual games.

Better retina screen? But it's only 10 inches? What if I have a high quality HDTV that's 50+ inches that cost thousands?

Touchscreen? Something core gamers hate?

Portable? Yes, but it's not the same experience obviously. There are a LOT of tradeoffs when you make something portable.

Free and one dollar games? I'm fine with paying for good games? Btw, a 250 GB XBOX 360 Slim is $250. The cheapest 3rd gen. iPad is $500.

Play on both iPhone and iPad? Uh, only half the games out there are universal. Not sure how this relates anyways to console gaming.

Tilt controls? Something even most iOS gamers dislike.

New version? So, $500 every year for hardware? That's a plus? Consoles still substantially improve on their games annually, and it's been..7-8 years since the last hardware refresh.

On your toilet? So that's your idea of being a good role model, I see.

Consoles don't just have better shooters. They have better games in every genre. PS2 games have better games in every genre. Casual games are the exception, of course. That's why Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja will always dominate the charts. They're the only type of games the majority of iOS gamers believe exist.

There's a 15-30 minute demo for just about every console release. There are also tons of HUGE review sites with more than 10x the following of TA for console games.

The argument about the kids thing is pretty unrelated to the OP. This thread is about the new iPad being better for gaming.

I agree the iOS is up and coming, but it's going to be a long, long time before we see games of the same caliber. You can say you have as much fun with iOS games as you do with console games, but that's about it. That should be all that matters anyways. Portable vs. console has always been a moot argument.

6. Backtothis,

I realize what you are trying to say, but if the basic arguement is if console games are better quality games than ios, then as I said in my previous thread, there is no point in this thread and this thread should be locked.

It's obvious that console games are better right now. That is what they are built for. They have better hardware and the games are high priced, so the quality level will be higher.

So it's pointless to have a discussion about which has better games. I know there is a pro-console fan club, and of course most of the users here are pro ios, but maybe we should define a better arguement here. And of course as you mentioned, the more money you have the better toys you will have.

How about this, if you had $1000, which would you buy, a new ipad 64 mb with 700 games, cause that is about what I have, even more if you include the over 4000 games I have downloaded.

Or an xbox 360 with say 15 good games.

We can assume you already had a tv, a laptop, and an smartphone.

I think this is a fair discussion. Which would you choose?

If you want to have a discussion about if console games are better than new ipad games, I already agree, console games are better.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I think you're right about the this thread, lol. Locking it now. Not sure which one I'd choose without giving it some thought xP.