What Program To Create Animation ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by onion, Feb 9, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Good info in this thread!

So just to confirm - you can create animations in Flash, export as series of png files then import into Zwoptex which makes a sprite sheet out of this.

Then animate with Cocos2D? Did I understand workflow correctly?

2. ylyu5

ylyu5 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Producer
    Hong Kong
    Just a alternative solution

Have anyone heard about MotionWelder? It is actually a solution for J2ME developers to create animiation. As memory available in mobile phone is much more smaller than iphone, this software allows developer to slice images into more smaller pieces and organizes them in the software

the software is actually free. But it can only supports java at this moment. I think maybe we can make a reader to read the data from its exported files.

3. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#23 lazypeon, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    Yes, this is 100% correct. You don't HAVE to create them in Flash; you can create the frames in any program (Paint, Photoshop, etc... ) Flash is good for previewing the animation in progress, though.

And yes, then you import into Zwoptex. It assembles into a sprite sheet. The name you give the individual frames is important, because that is how you will reference them in Cocos2D. You might call them, for instance, "stickman_run_0.png", "stickman_run_1.png", etc...

Please refer to the 0.99 release notes for Cocos to see how you can use the CCSpriteFrameCache to do animation -- it's really easy and integrates perfectly with Zwoptex:

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/wiki/doku.php/release_notes:0_99_0

(Scroll to "CCSpriteFrameCache / Zwoptex support")

ex: