What qualifies as a hardcore game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by donner, Jul 29, 2009.

1. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I get it - Casual games are built for anyone to get into and satisfy quickly. Hardcore games like RPG's only satisfy if your dedicated to the whole 100 hours of the game experience.

Why is it that so many FPS games are so freaking easy then? not very hardcore really....

Still, I think theres a lot of "casual" games that have better gameplay then the "hardcore"

2. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    #23 RobCRX, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    It's like Halo 3. It's easy to be good and have fun in the social matches when you first start out, but when it comes down to MLG in the hardcore playlist it's all about who can get the 4 headshots with battle rifle off first(which is the fastest way to kill someone with your starting weapon(Battle Rifle) in the MLG gametype in Halo 3 if you don't play it).

3. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Anything with challenge really. There isn't a clearly defined line. It is obvious with some games- Gears of War vs. Ponyz, Resistance vs. Circus Star, but it isn't as definitive with others.

4. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    #25 Gamingfun, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    Ah yes the whole hardcore/casual thing has only come up somewhat recently. In reality there is only one thing to know. A game is a game nothing more and nothing will make it a casual or a hardcore as it is a video game and people will play it regardless.

The only difference are the end users. Their are some who just feel as if it's the end of the world if they are grouped in with a gamer who plays a game they'd wouldn't want to play. So they have to consider themselves hardcore in order to feel better... or something like that. The only people who are "hardcore gamers" are self claimed "hardcore" nothing more.

So really there is no game that qualifies as a hardcore game just like there is no game that qualifies as a casual game. They are all just plain old video games.

5. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I agree.

6. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    http://gamebattles.com/

I consider that hardcore.

7. Gamingfun

Mar 23, 2009
  8. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    If you are ranked on that site.. that would qualify as hardcore. :)

9. Gamingfun

Mar 23, 2009
    Ah I see. That's dedication more than anything :) pretty cool site