What will Rovio do after Angry Birds?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by flybird, Jun 14, 2011.

1. daniller

daniller Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    I love AB and will always love it no matter what the next game is.

2. candywriter

candywriter Well-Known Member

Some people might think it's inane and ultimately pointless, but it is an admirable exercise in simplicity, clean graphics and killing time.

3. banlieue

banlieue Well-Known Member

May 22, 2011
    Maybe buy AB themselves to lure more marshmallows and maintain their top position forever?
    Who knows!

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Lol I was just about to suggest that :p Some kind of castle defensing from Pigs or something :p

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yea I hate it when my iPod 8GB is out of memory :p I can't download Real Racing 2 because of that!! :p

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #26 LOLavi, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    Oh and about Angry Birds Magic, it's only available on Nokia C7 and it's an Near Field C(forgot the rest, well NFC anywayz) where you connect 2 Nokia C7's together to get more levels and levels are beautiful Finnish nature, instead of weird locations :) GO FINLAND:D Will probably work on other NFC enabled phones later, this is just to attract more to Nokia.

Edit: how do you delete this? All are said at http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/14/angry-birds-downloads-250-million-magi/ no need to say more :p

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Wow I just noticed in the post it said Wine and Dine, wow can't wait for a new release :D I kinda hate my AB Rio nowadays tho...

8. TouchHeartRo

TouchHeartRo Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    Good point. I also think so, a good game to kill time and have a relax.

9. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    They're going to make a super hardcore, super deep, free-roaming, 1st person action-rpg to rival Elder Scrolls. The setting will be epic high-fantasy done with tremendous realism, spectacular magic effects, and brutal gore, performed by expert use of the Unreal engine. It will be revolutionary in its scope and scale and real freedom for the player, all interwoven within an expansive, profound, living storyline with endless possibilities and multiple potential endings. You can play as hero or villain, with a massive, customizable skill set that will let you play a role that exactly matches the way you want to play the game.
    Unfortunately, however, you will be limited to just one character race or type: You play the part of a big, fat, round f*cking bird.

10. flybird

flybird Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    :eek:

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  12. Supper001

Supper001 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2011
    Sportsman
  13. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    +46758268756247856726726576256545623987462
    clearly, the large majority of idevice gamers don't know shit about games, escpecially idevice games. They just want casual, angry birds, doodle jump like games.

Think of it this way. People hate lebron james. but he's still successful. he still made it to the final, still is on the all-star team, etc etc etc. the only difference is, lebron james doesn't suck.

14. thomalex89

thomalex89 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Some suggest that they are a one hit wonder if they are they don't have to do anything else with 250 million downloads.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #35 MidianGTX, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    Clearly anything with over 250 million downloads is going to get what seems like a lot of criticism, when in reality it pales to the amount of praise it receives. I like Angry Birds. Physics games are awesome by default, castle crushing games are awesome and Rovio are great at providing value for money and keeping the community gripped by providing so many free updates, they were one of the first dev teams to take this "generous" business approach.

I don't particularly like how much attention it gets... I'm not interested in plush toys, clothes, cakes or playing the game on my PS3, but as an iOS game it's good.

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    +1

It's a casual game that gets everything done right. One of the few games that I know I won't ever be deleting among the ranks of RR2, Dead Space, etc.

17. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    well, everyone has their opinions. I find angry birds bland and repetitive. It's cool for like.... 20 levels. Or in other words, less than a hour. you're flinging the same five birds at random structures. There is little skill involved, I've often shot two birds on the EXACT same path in a row and the building reacted differently. Much of it is based on luck. I have nothing against castle crushing games, as I found crush the castle and siege hero fun, escpecially siege hero. Because that requires more skill. The only reason I got as far as I did was because of 1) a friend beat like half of the levels throughout a couple months on the bus. and 2) because friends kept bragging how far they were like it was impossible.
    and about the praise...
    from app reviewers: "It's the greatest game ever!!!" reviews are by people who have only played super casual games and have no knowledge of the appstore.
    from review sites: while they acknowledge it's worth the money, (which it is for the content: if you don't get bored) and some like it, none would say it's the best game ever, or even close to that.
    Honestly, it really doesn't deserve all of the attention it has garnered. While I do appreciate all the free updates, look what that has done. On any game updated < once a month, you can find reviews like "Update the game with more free stuff already!" one star.
    honestly, it is worth the money by far IF you like it. but what it is is a repetitive luck based physics game imo.

and backtothis: really? you have no idea how happy I've felt since ridding my ipod of that junk. I'd play the new levels from updates and get bored within the first 2 minutes.

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Heh, my idea of a good casual game that's very attractive and accessible at any time. Angry Birds doesn't rush you. You get to play at your own pace. Sure it's based on 75% luck, but that also fits my ideal casual game. It's not a game you sit down and play an hour straight of, of course. I might play a few levels while I eat lunch at work, wait in line, etc. On top of all that, it's just a well-made game. I'm probably only half way through the levels in each of the three games, but it's been pretty fun.cede DS RCA

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah there's an element of luck, but that's what happens with physics games. If you want the destruction to behave realistically, you can't just use the same canned animation each time. The fact it never behaves in quite the same way each time adds a small amount of surprise and variety into the game that doesn't exist in games without physics simulation. You can play a level over and over, each time seeing different results... to me that's exactly what gives physics games their appeal. The skill isn't completely gone though, you have to know what you're aiming at (and then hit it) to even give the luck part a chance.

20. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    so....
    inconsistency in the physics (or a mm making a huge difference) leading to a game based largely on luck, makes the game good? :rolleyes:

I think seige hero is more fun, cause that's a legit physics game. you get perfect precision so it's more of a planning, where to shoot game, not a just fling it and cross your fingers game. entirely skill there. That's a quality game. :D