Where's the triple A?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Wikilix2, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I disagree. Battery life on Ipad is pretty reasonable, even for demanding games.

Also, I don't think gaming on Ipad (not even the pro) is tiny, especially if the game is designed for the display in mind. Personally, I have more immersion playing telltale games, for example, on tablet than I have on the TV. A RPG with touch devices on mind, for exameple, wouldn't change that.

However, it is not viable on a financial point of view.

2. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I dunno man. Assassin's Creed, Order and Chaos 2, World of Tanks, etc...They all chew through an iPad Pro fairly quickly.

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I mean tiny as in the actual size of the device, as in there isn't much room for a battery (in fact the majority of any iOS device actually IS a battery, and still battery life is a big problem). Not even just battery life but heat. You think your iPad's battery life is fine, and that's because games and apps are designed with that in mind. I promise you if you plunk Skyrim onto your iPad it will eat the battery within minutes and burn a hole through your hands.

Also, all iPads have better battery life than iPhones, for the most part, but there are FAR more iPhones in the world than iPads. I don't game on my iPad at all anymore, I don't like it, so the fact that it might have better battery life means absolutely nothing to me. It would be really foolish for any developer to spend the type of time, resources, and money that a Skyrim-like game would necessitate only to turn around and only be able to sell it to a tiny fraction of the market. And it would be extra silly if that only reason was because those devices had marginally better battery life.

4. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Haven't played those. You might be right, cabuckn.

You are right on the economics, Boardumb. I was talking hypothetically about the device handling it.

As much as I love gaming on my Ipad, I am well aware that I am not on the majority on the market here. Not even close to that.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It makes me appreciate the devs that do try to cater to our smaller audience. The Crashlands and Lost Socks and Wayward Souls of the world. You're already swimming upstream just deciding to release a mobile game at all, but those folks are sticking their feet in cement blocks before diving in because they are passionate about a certain type of gaming experience.

6. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    This. So much this.

7. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Same here. Crashlands is outstanding and I would love if the devs could price it even higher. The game deserve more than $5 bucks in my opinion.

Haven't played the other 2 yet, though.

And the thread about Canabalt just made me very sad.

8. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Skyrim is definitely a bad example because I doubt even my iPad Pro could handle it without killing battery life and turning the SoC into slag. I bring it up merely to point out that the economics of creating such an expansive yet detailed game on mobile from scratch just doesn't work. Porting a game from another platform though is much more affordable. I tend to gravitate toward those types of expansive game experiences, which is why I own so many ports (though even I might be falling into the "mobile games are small and compromised, while PC and console games are so much bigger" meme that was brought up as a reason why the developers of Crash-lands will put their next game on PC first, then go to mobile).

Ahh, calling the iPad Pro tiny... I guess I'm the opposite of Boardumb. I game all the time on my iPad, but rarely on my iPhone nowadays (maybe playing Shooty Skies while in line at the grocery store?). I should probably not even mention my 6 in my signature given how irrelevant it is to me for gaming.

9. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    OFFTOPIC: Is the Ipad Pro purchase worth it? I game mainly on my Ipad air.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I should probably point out again that I don't refer to the device as tiny due to screen size or anything like that, I specifically mean tiny in that there's not a lot of room to add a large battery in the device casing itself :)

11. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    It's still pretty respectable. the Pro only has a slightly smaller batter than the 12" Macbook. The word you might be looking for is thin, I presume?

Dankrio, depends on the devices you have and what you want to do with the iPad Pro. It can make a great laptop-replacement if you already have a desktop. Few games take advantage of the higher pixel count but that's fine. It's been a lot of fun setting up my Pro on a table and just playing something like Final Fantasy 7 with a controller. Makes it feel like a small TV.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Right, respectable but in no way adequate enough to run the kind of high end games being discussed in this thread. Even my laptop barely lasts two hours if I'm lucky, and I don't even play games on it. And you're talking about the largest iOS device available on the market. It's not just iOS devices, it's portable electronics in general, and it's been a problem for decades. The Game Boy was smart with its lo-res, non-backlit grayscale screen, its batteries would last for days. Compare that to the Game Gear which was an actual Sega Master System shrunk down into a smaller package, and its (eight if I remember correctly?) AA batteries would be wiped out within a couple of hours. I only ever played my Game Gear while it was plugged in, I would have gone broke buying batteries for it if not.

You seem to be taking this personally as if I'm saying that battery life in iOS devices is terrible or something. I'm not, the battery life in iOS devices is absolutely phenomenal considering the size of the devices and all the things they do. What I'm saying is that battery technology itself has not advanced in the same way as most other technology in the last 40 years, and right now a full-scale game like Skyrim would not be practical given the constraints of battery technology and how important battery performance is to users.

13. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Oh, please, Dankrio, please do yourself a favor and get Lost Socks and Wayward Souls, they're so good and so ridiculously cheap if you consider the hours of entertainment you'll get from them. They're both challenging, "old school" games and have no iaps.

I promise you, you'll have a really hard time playing them, and the sense of achievement you'll get as you progress through them is priceless! Great soundtracks as well, imo, especially WS.

14. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I got Wayward Souls already, just haven't played it yet, because backlog is huuuuuuuuge. :(

I am gonna grab Lost Socks, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

At the moment, I am studying hard for some competitive tests. Add that to a full-time job and you see I can take no more hard challenges at the moment. lol

That's why I am playing more "laid back" "games" like Telltale's and others. I wish I can handle more complex things soon.

15. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Haha, got you, you're certainly doing the right thing then :)

Good luck for your tests!

16. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Oh, the Game Gear... Six AA batteries, and good for only a couple of hours or so. I used to take mine on two-hour flights and have to choose between playing it in the departure lounge or on the plane.

I tend to carry a portable battery pack for my iPhone everywhere now, as I used to own a three-year-old 4S that barely lasted an hour if it had to do anything special. It's a great feeling when you upgrade and, at least for the first six months or so, you barely need to charge once a day.

17. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    So deos 6S PLUS, I can play AC for 2:30 / 3 hours on my phone.

18. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Just been thinking about this, and have to ask: do we really want triple-A games on iOS? I mean I love Implosion, and am happy to see more of that ilk, but I'm not sure I want to see iOS develop into a platform where only the big developers have the time and resources to create something people would actually pay for. It would be sad if we were all sitting around reading previews all year on TA but only seeing a handful of games released each year that are worth their salt. Like consoles, basically. The glory of iOS is that there is a HUGE library of games out there with something for everybody. As someone who grew up in the 8-bit era, as did many here, I don't mind if we are mostly fed nothing more advanced than PS2 level software - I was blown away by playing Dragon Quest VIII on a 4S, for example.

Basically, I think there's a good balance right now. The amount of original, independent games is so high, I'm happy if we just get thrown the odd AAA port every now again. As the technology keeps improving, the level of ports will follow suit. I'm sure eventually something like Fallout 4 will be ported, even if it's four years down the line. Till then, there's enough to keep us busy.

19. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    The glory of iOS? the glory of iOS! dude you really missed the glory years and days of iOS, back to 2008/9/10 and you will find more AAA games on iOS than ever, Do you remember old Gameloft? have you ever seen their old games or better i say have you ever been in 2008 for the glory of iOS?

What happened to iOS? i wish i had my old 3GS and back to 2008 for the Glory of iOS.

20. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #80 Dankrio, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    italodance, I somewhat agree with Orangutan. It is all a matter of perspective. For me, the glory of iOS is not a Call of Duty or GTA clone, like Gameloft (not that those are not cool), but real gems like Device 6, Monument Valley, a Dark Room and Crashlands. I would take any of them over a bland big budgeted game on PS4 or Xbox one that has nothing to offer besides pretty graphics. But that's me. Indies have been providing me much more fun than AAA games for the most part.

That being said, I would also love to see more AAA games. Not to overrule those games mentioned, but to stay beside them. I think the more, the merrier. People have different tastes and it would be great if iOS games could scratch as many backs as possible.

The point being we already have much more games than possible we can play. lol

I never cease to be amazed with the sheer ammount of good games that have been constant being released. Just look at TA news. That is impressive. Maybe we could look more at what we already have instead of looking for what we lack.

The game I am looking forward most at the moment is Fallen London, which is f2p, by the way.