Which handheld?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Jul 30, 2014.

1. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I would go for the 3DS/2DS simply because of the better library imo (in contrast to Vita). Of course, you don't get the emulation side of it. Maybe you could pick up a PSP on the cheap as well for the emulation.

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for the help guys.

I think I've decided on the Nvidia, well I'm 75% sure.

Been watching some videos on YouTube and the Nvidia looks ideal for emulation, sure it doesn't really do GameCube or PS2 at all but it does most of the others. There are things about it that I'm not really fond of but in the whole, that seems like the best choice for me personally.

Vita looks good but has few emulation options right now (although it does have some nice games and it would complement my PS4!)

3DS I'm not really interested in, the emulation side seems small and no offence but I'm not really a Nintendo games fan as I dislike most Mario games and Pokemon.

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    With certain flash carts, the 3ds actually has a lot going for it emulation wise.

In general though, I would recommend a 3ds if you have friends with it. The number to multiplayer games is something to consider.

However if you have money to blow, I'd go vita. The amount of JRPGs is enough to keep you busy for a LONG time.

4. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    The thing is much more rpg games coming to Vita but for a mobile platform!?!

Dude if you are still interested in mobile games you could get a MFi controller like MOGA or Logitech for your idevice and iOS.

It's so better till get an Android machine with buttons.

5. Zerodactyl

Zerodactyl Well-Known Member

The same thing that everyone else said for the Nintendo 3DS but buy the Nintendo 2DS if you want to save money, buy the Nintendo 3DS for Streetpass or buy the Nintendo 3DS XL for better gaming.

6. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks but I'm not a huge Nintendo fan, I really don't play Mario games or platformers and I dislike Pokemon games.

7. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I've decided on an nVidia Shield purely because of it's emulation grunt and ability to output to a TV.

My only problem is that it doesn't seem to be available in the uk!!

I can only find one supplier and that's amazon and owing to past history I won't deal with them.

Does anyone know of another uk shop where I can buy one?

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #28 Teknikal, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    I don't think the Shield tablet is available officially in the UK until the 14th of August might not be easy to find even then but you never know because PCworld stocked the Tegra Note as an Advent Tablet.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with the Shield.

Edit: Actually looking at the site I just linked I found where to pre order the shield it shows where you can get it from as well.

http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/buy-now/

9. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks but I don't want the tablet, I already have an ipad ;)

I want the original nvidia shield. Mainly for the buttons/sticks

10. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    You might have serious problems then as it isn't even on Nvidias UK site, it is on the American one still which makes me suspect it's not being supplied here in the UK anymore.

Might be a case of having to import one.

11. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Yeah it looks like it'll be hard.

Looking at other options but most android systems have no buttons/sticks or are on a phone. I won't buy a phone ;)

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah the original shield was never officially offered in the UK. You can try Ebay, not sure what the prices are like though.

13. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I don't have an eBay account, don't really trust it.

After several hours searching I can't find a uk supplier of the original shield, looks like I'm going to be buying a psp or vita simply because they are available here.

Sucks tbh.

14. wml

wml Active Member

Jul 4, 2009
  15. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks but I hate amazon ;)

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Other than late delivery and snarky replies by Amazon's customer service officers, what's to hate about Amazon?

Amazon is quite an easy way to order stuff. The only strangeness I have encountered is that the DVD for Captain America: The Winter Soldier is just not listed at Amazon for some reason...

iPadhasbeenwatchingMarvel'sAgentsOfSHIELD. ..

17. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I'd go with the Vita personally (if I had to get a non-iPad handheld). I have access to a 3DS and the screen and graphics make it almost unbearable for me. I don't have a vita but I assume it's better. plus if you have a ps4 you can do remote play on it.

18. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    The Vita would be good for my PS4 but I've been looking at YouTube videos of the RPGs it has and nothing really seemed to grab me. It's emulation options are pretty slim too.

I was going to plump for the shield but it's almost impossible to get in the uk apart from amazon and the shield tablet has kind of made it obsolete now. I don't want a shield tablet as I'd have to buy a controller for it and that's two items to carry around and two devices to charge.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    The remote play was flawless on release but when they made changes to way you pair devices it's been a bit hit and miss (at least here), I should probably try deleting registered devices and redoing it, maybe a legacy problem.

One other bonus though if you own a PS4 and Vita is the games that support native crossbuy, there's been old PS3 games like Fl0w, Flower, Dead Nation, Hustle Kings that I got for nothing plus more recent purchases for the PS4 like Steamworld Dig, PixelJunk Shooter and so on.

20. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #40 Teknikal, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Sorry I posted to the wrong thread while I'm here though I'll recommend the Vita which I have.