Which RPG is a must have?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dark_Messenger, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    #41 Dark_Messenger, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
    Ok!

The candidates of the mighty RPG-list is...

*drumroll.....*

Definite buys:
    - Vay
    - Zenonia
    - Guardian Soul
    - Dungeon Hunter

Uncertain buys:
    - Undercroft
    - The Quest

Probobly not but in emergency buys:
    - Elven Chronicles
    - Crusade of Destiny

Was that correct? =)

2. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    For your tastes as you listed before it sounds like a good fit, although very different from mine :). I'd second the suggestion of trying both the lite versions of Undercroft and The Quest since you can get a good taste for the (free) game and transfer your save game to the full version if you find something you like. Personally, I enjoyed Undercroft more of the two because it's party based.

3. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    My list is similar to yours but I didn't like Guardian Soul. Dungeon Hunter, Zenonia, and Hybrid are my definite favs. But, more RPGs should be coming soon, including Ravensword.

4. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I havent read everything, but:

id say get Dungeon Hunter and The Quest...

The Quest is just really badass, its a huge rpg with so much to do, I havent played Undercroft, altho that seems like its not as intense (and maybe some spell effects are better).. What did turn me off was that you cannot return to previous areas once you leave.. ewwwww (for Undercroft)

Ill also mention that in the Quest the only guy I can get to really do damage and survive is a Dual Wielding death knight life-leeching (a biggie) character... pretty badass but may not be your first choice (mine was a mage, but he needed way too many mana potions)

Get Dungeon Hunter for more action/grafix/etc... if that is more your flavor or what you want... Also the world map to Dungeon Hunter really just blows my mind, its so amazing

I have zenonia, and its O-K but I havent gotten too into it, seems kind of cool

5. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I write music for a living.
    Los Angeles, CA.
    on the iPhone: Dungeon Hunter
    on the PC: Fallout 3

6. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    I already got Dungeon Hunter but i would like to start off with something not so hack n slash:ish. =)

I will check out The Quest, i get the feeling that people thinks its really big n hardcore and kind of unaccessible but as many points out to, if you like the gameplaymechanics then those things are just good.

Ps. I seldom (never) playes as mage or spellcasters or wizards etc. I like hardcore swordwielding dudes like knights and fighters. A real letdown would be to pick up a goodlooking rpg just to realize that im stuck with a wimpy dude in a girlish robe that goes abrakadabra on people and throws sissy fireballs. =(

7. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    ZENONIA. You'll love it, if what I just read above is true.

8. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I really enjoyed Vay but had no desire to play through it a second time. I played it over last summer so it is pretty "old" and not as fancy and polished as some of the newer titles. I would recommend it if you like the turn based team battles.

9. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I just stumbled upon this thread since I got an itch to play an RPG like my ol' SNES days..I looked for a Lite version for Zenonia but can't seem to locate it in either the Iphone app store or Itunes itself..perhaps it was removed?

10. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    lol I know what you mean about mages. Don't worry in the Quest you can be a badass dual sword wielding fighter. Also there are plenty of wimpy mages waiting to be slaughtered!

11. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I think this is a very accurate description, so OP should use this as reference based on his preferences. Zenonia is fun to play when you're not in the mood to think or do lots of in-game reading and walking around, so I would classify it as the most "fun". Personally I didn't like Dungeon Hunter that much, it was simply too easy, and way too linear. All you have to do is hold the direction button, and keep tapping enemies. There's no depth at all (which is exactly like Diablo). The Quest has too much depth, which I didn't like either, but at least I appreciate that the developers are trying their best to make a true RPG feel to it. Undercroft is basically a dumbed-down version of The Quest, where you don't have to think that much and story is much more linear, but still much more depth than Dungeon Hunter and Zenonia.
    Inotia 2 is coming out some time at the end of the year, and Zenonia 2 soon to follow, those will definitely be landmark RPGs.

12. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    I will have an eye open for those to. I think that some sequels of games, especially on new platforms, tend to get better then the originals. Maybe bec the devs learns from the misstakes and/or hopefully listens to what the masses want.

Anyway, i picked up all the above games now. Now i just must complete the last levels of amature surgeon before starting up the rpg streak.

13. Nikademus

Nikademus Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I am a great lover of the Quest, for its depth and the fact the development team are dedicated and working on so many expansions - the last one of 2 expansions to date (HOL 1) was fantastic and is part of a 5 part series.

I have to say, while alot simpler in game mechanics, and alot more linear as mentioned, I found Undercroft really enjoyable, and puzzle challenge wise more interesting tgan the Quest (which relies a little bit too much on just clicking everything).

In terms of pure grind, Chronicles of Inotia and Vay where enjoyable. I really enjoyed a more recent release - Kingdoms of Gorath, which is great for levelling combat skills, getting loot etc.

Lesser successful titles - Crusaders of Destiny is great (more Fable like) but a little expensive comparative to other titles.

Dungeon Hunter and Underworlds both have there place as hack n slash (often referred to as more mainstream Diablo clones) - I enjoyed playing them, but not as much as most of the above.

As for old skool games, I played Perilar and Dragonsbane II (but didnt complete it) when there were few rpg games on the AppStore.

Are there any old gits here that used to have a ZX Spectrum? There was a fantastic game called Chaos I wish someone would port - a wizard dual. Not sure if its ad great as I remember, but I loved that game as a kid.....

14. yxkpro

yxkpro Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    High School Student
    Missouri
    Here's what I think of these games, hope they help you choose.

Zenonia - I actually thought I would enjoy it when I bought it... but it turned I didn't. It looks really nice, the cool graphics. It just wasn't my type of game. Can't really explain what I didn't like, but it was probably the type of gameplay. It had a little too much going on. You can try out the lite version.

Hybrid - I tried the lite version and enjoyed the fast-paced, based on the fighting-type game. Not sure about the story though, didn't get a taste of it on the lite. (I'm giving my take on these games so you can understand what I like, and if you feel the same way about them, maybe you'll feel the same way about the paid games.)

Crusade of Destiny - Definitely my favorite RPG on the iPhone. I did enjoy the grinding, I just feel compelled to keep leveling up. The quests are really interesting, trying to beat these bosses or trying to find people. Whenever I beat it (??), I will definitely play it again and level up some other skills.

I really enjoyed Legend of Zelda: OoT, and I felt the same about Crusade, so maybe / maybe not....

Hope you enjoy the games you pick out.

15. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Is the wolfenstein RPG anygood?

16. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    #56 Dark_Messenger, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks for the reviews!

It has been some while since playing a rpg now but if a look back at those played i have mostly enjoyed the Japanese type ones (FF, turnbased, both party and single hero kinds etc), but also the ones that are not so traditionally rpg:ish but of more simple and hack n slash:ish character (diablo etc). The main reason, i think, is that the old school japanese often has the game focusing around a really good story and has well developed characters. The diablo kind of games is more collecting loot and find just "that" piece of armour etc. In my last run-through of the diablo games i remember finding myself more engaged of the item/looting part of the game than the actual story and mission objectives. Once i equipped my character just the way i wanted, with all uniqe shit that litterary took me weeks to find, the game was just not funny any more..

Though if i MUST choose i'd go with the traditionally rpg:s any day of the week.

17. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    #57 Dark_Messenger, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    I didnt like it. I forced me through it but was kinda glad when it was over. It looks neat on the screens but you fool yourself on those. The gameplay is really stiff and simple and the challange of the game is really shifting. From beeing the worlds simplest game it suddely bec the hardest when reaching a boss. Get old school wolfenstein instead, they really made a good port on that one!

18. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Where on earth is that Elder in Crusade of Destiny?

19. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    So ive played all night finishing Dungeon Hunter. I liked it even as the controls was a little sloppy but as a whole, still a weak 4 of 5. GG

20. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    Im currently playing Undercroft and enjoys it. Cant really remember the last time i played such a "primitive" game but never the less me thinks its a good game. =)

With that said, how is it compared to The Quest? Will i automaticly like it if i enjoyes Undercroft?