Who else is sick of iPod 1G users being excluded from great games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Nov 16, 2009.

?

Are you sick of not being able to buy games because you have an iPod 1G?

1. YES! I want to be able to play all games, even at the sake of graphics.

35 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No, they should have upgraded to a better device.

89 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Thank you, the last paragraph is the epitome of what I've been trying to get across. Most people DON'T own these devices, so it's hard to see why they would cater to such a small crowd. And as opposed to how you feel about iPhone gaming, I find myself using it to game more than my consoles sometimes. More games for a better price, and without having to carry around discs or cartridges for the games. Plus I find I can bring my iPod anywhere and am easily able to fit it in my pocket, unlike my DS or PSP which are much bigger and make my pocket bulge out and just gets in the way. And my laptop... much harder to take places. So I find it to be the best source of gaming, and when a game like this comes out it's a huge letdown to find out that I can't play it for a reason I can't fix.

2. JediOne

JediOne Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    +1

I too have a 1st Gen. Touch, which I bought specifically for gaming back when the AppStore had just started - at this point in time, I see no good reason to upgrade to the 3rd Gen. as there aren't a lot of games that take advantage of its hardware and hence justify the cost of upgrading to one ;)

If I can't play a game then so be it - I'll probably upgrade to the latest when more games come out to warrant the purchase :rolleyes:

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    lmfao somerandomdude got owned by the poll

4. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I voted no, and i'm a 1g owner. The difference between your 360 and PS2 examples is, the actual game running power of those pieces of hardware are largely the same, whilst all the iPods have different insides.
    Also, the 1g was built as a media player, with good internet capabilities, when it came out, you had to jailbreak to get games. This means that the chance of touch 1g owners being gamers is smaller than that of 2g owners. Also there are less 1g touches in circulation because of breakage, upgrading, loss etc.
    This makes 1g touches the smallest market to develop for and devs aren't going to go that far to accommodate for them.
    And anyway, CoD:WaW:Z sucks anyway, and I would like you to prove that "it would work perfectly fine" so stop complaining and buy a new iPod.

PS: I'm assuming you have an in car charger as playing a 3d game on a 1g for a long trip wouldn't work, the battery would die in minutes. What make do you have, mine keep breaking....

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Upgrading is, of course, a personal choice. But people should keep in mind that it's not just a matter of having "3rd Gen games" available. Pretty much all games play better in the new devices -- some radically so. My favorite example is Pirate Wings, a great game that got overlooked because of performance issues when it originally came out (before the 3Gs was even announced). On the 3Gs it's near-console-like in quality.

That's exactly right. Next gen devices are in the minority still, but the people who purchase them are more likely to spend money on "real" games (as opposed to casual time-wasters). That's why you'll see the big name players focusing on that part of the market in the near future.

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Well the 1st Gen iTouch can't handle some games, so that's legit and a valid reason. I don't see why it would be excluded from anything else.

7. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I know about 20% 1g owners | 60% 2g owners | 20% 3g owners

I think that the lack of upgraders to 3g is because the lack of any new features, just more power.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    The 1G simply doesn't have the requirements to run certain games, so devs are expected to go out of their way to try and make it run for 1G users? There's such a small number of 1G users compared to the amount of people with newer devices, that it'd be a waste of their time to do such a thing. If it bugs you that much, sell your iPod on ebay and buy a 2G/3G iPod..

9. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Who else is sick of iPod 1G users whining?

10. hackdirt

hackdirt Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Game Dev
    New Zealand
    It's possible to have games that perform incredibly well on the older devices if the developers know what they're doing. I think Real Racing is a perfect example of this. It performs beautifully on my oldschool iPhone.

For my own games, I deliberately turn off certain graphics features (texture quality, lighting, etc) if the software detects older hardware. There are still millions of 1g owners out there, so why ignore them?

11. Sajak

Sajak Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I would say if the Ravensword developers, an indie team, can make games 'futureproof,' big name companies like Vivendi and EA should be able to with no problems (especiall with their familiarity with PC development :| ).

I am seriously getting annoyed by this crap, especially with Nazi Zombies. I can live without bluetooth multiplayer (which from what I understand is the only reason it doesn't work on the 1st gen touch). It's amazing how easily developers will screw over the people that made the app store a success.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yay, it's a forum! :D

1G users whine too much!

Canabalt is too expensive!

Eliminate/MiniGore/Pocket God is overhyped!

Game ZZZ I bought yesterday just went on sale for $0.99!

Apple's policies suck!

Did I forget any? ;)

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Didn't mean to come off as whiney, I was just angry when posting this because I had just learned that Nazi Zombies won't work on my iPod.

Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing why it doesn't work. The graphics, while great, aren't as high quality as Real Racing, which works perfectly without a speck of lag on my iPod. I'd say the graphics are on par with Resident Evil 4, which also works extremely smoothly, even with many objects on screen. Hopefully an update will follow where this is addressed, I've seen it in other games before like Alive-4-Ever, which turned out to be a great game. They originally had it set where only 2g and iPhone users could get it because of the bluetooth multiplayer, but I don't think that's the case here. Ah well, I'll just wait for that update and Ravensword, which will accommodate to the large group of 1g users still around.

14. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    GUYS! IT GOT UPDATED! WOOT!

Now all iPods and iPhones are available for purchase! Also, in the description it no longer recommends that only iPhones/2G's be used! This is awesome.

I'm just excited that it got updated right before/after i posted that. Kinda strange acutally.

15. RoyalCanadian

RoyalCanadian Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    you only post were your friends post? thats weird man

16. C4PTAIN

C4PTAIN Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    i dont give a dang, i dont own a 1g
    :p lol (^sarcasm^)

17. JediOne

JediOne Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    True - I would expect games to run better on the 3rd Gen Touch/3GS Phone considering the hardware under the hood ;) But for me, this isn't a compelling enough reason to justify an upgrade - all the games I have for my Touch play perfectly fine. Also, after the initial rush of buying games for my Touch has now worn off, I'm not spending as much time playing the games I do have for it (usually 30mins - 1 hour).

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

19. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Press Start Studio
    #39 Phil, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    Well, Twin Blades: The Reaping vanguard will be compatible with Ipod touch 1g.

After a couple days of work the game crashes after 30 minutes of play, that's the best compromise we could find without hampering the quality of the graphics/sounds too much. Fortunately we have an autosave feature so it's relatively allright.

Release set for...December!

20. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    just get a new ipod man or iphone tech changes so quick and people want to support it so they can get more outta it