Who else is sick of iPod 1G users being excluded from great games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Nov 16, 2009.

?

Are you sick of not being able to buy games because you have an iPod 1G?

1. YES! I want to be able to play all games, even at the sake of graphics.

35 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No, they should have upgraded to a better device.

89 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Pray to god no one plays for more than 30 minutes. Is there a slowdown building up to that point, or does it just spontaneously crash?

2. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Press Start Studio
    From the testing sessions it seems there is a slowdown successively building during loading of levels - but levels themselves play just fine.

Then at some point it crashes during loading, which is no big deal because the level at which you were was saved so when you restart the game you'll be up and running for another 30 minutes from where you left it, no data loss.

From your profile it says you have a 2nd generation iPod touch, those are crash-free.

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

what pisses me off more about the issue is

You buy a game, or app, and once you try to sync it, you find that is it not compatible, so you are screwed out of your money
    and i am not talking about a new game that would have performance issues on an older device, but a regular app that the dev didn't set to be compatible and would run perfectly fine on any generation

4. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Yup. 1G owner here. Pretty annoyed, but I can live with it. Not planning on getting Call of Duty at all, unless they drop the price to like a buck or something which is never going to happen.

I'm just going to wait until my senior year for my parents to get me an iPhone. By that time, the iPhone's going to be called the iPhone 7GXYWIX Omega or something.

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I have a 2G touch, but I don't play many graphically demanding games like Gameloft's so it probably wouldn't matter to me. The few things I wouldn't like about the 1G are probably no volume buttons...it doesn't have a speaker either does it...and the fact that it isn't new

6. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    you guys are like old people. we like ya, but we don't pay attention to ya.

anyway, just wait and be happy with Ravensword. it should be good enough to please your every need

7. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

Most of the time, it is not intentional.

Some devs get confused in iTunes Connect (portal to manage apps in the appstore) when it comes to selecting the compatible devices that the game or app should support. If one does not pay attention, it is easy to miss it.

For my app, I made sure I was not excluding 1G iPhone / iPod owners by just not selecting 2G devices and above only...

Cheers

8. Zombie_dance

Zombie_dance Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lol the funny thing is i gotta 1st gen ans it works better than my friends 2nd gen rebooted :D but should i buy a 2nd gen to is what im wondering but my 1st gen is 32gb and a second gen would prolly be 16gb abd i have 19gb of music and i love it all wait i got it! Ill carry around both!

9. Sirius

Sirius New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    It's sad, but technology has come too far in the past few years. I love my 1gen to death, but I don't think it's worth it for companies to dumb down their graphics for what's now the minority.

I'm biased, though, because I can play any graphic-heavy game on my brothers 3Gs... Heh...

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Lol I think the same way :D

11. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

Why cant i play 360 games on my xbox first gen. because the hardware cant handle it. Just walk into the apple store and buy the newest iphone or ipod touch. Dont complain that u cant play the newest games. its almost the same as asking why cant i play ps3 games on my ps1. thread should be closed.

12. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    You Guys do know that zombies now has 1G support right? Been playin it all night.

13. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I have an iPhone 3GS but I have kept my 1st gen iPod Touch just for review purposes. I have found that most games still run generally quite well and very few games have crashes.
    For example when I tried Gangstar it was super laggy and unplayable on the 1st Gen, but not the 3GS. An update came out and the game now plays fine on the 1st Gen but obviouisly not as good as the 3GS.

The fact is all games are still playable on the device, as long as it doesn't NEED to have bluetooth to play.

14. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I can see why OP is upset. Early adopters always get screwed nowaday. Its happened for everything(ps2, ps3, xbox). You got stuffs first before anyone else then you will be outdated n probably left-out first. Yes it sucks but thats just the way it is. But theres another way to look at this is that you, an early buyer, have contributed a small part into the whole success of the platform. You make its possible for the platform to grow n evolve so you should be proud.
    About dev abandond ipod 1G, im a developer myself, just myself n an artist so I wont be able to speak for all the bigger team or large budget company. But for me, to support more than one platform thats mean min of 50% more amount of work that i have to do. Not mentioning money to pay for extra testing device... Just not something that developer like me can afford.

15. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    #55 seyoon, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    Who else is sick of iPod 1G users being excluded from great games?

Who else is sick of Windows 98 users (with 256mb RAM) being excluded from great programs and software? :p

16. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm sick of older gen devices holding devs back.

JUST UPGRADE!

17. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I can't see how making it able to work on the older devices is any harder for the devs. For it to work on older devices the graphics have to be less intense and less complicated so shouldn't that mean less work for the devs?

18. lvillalt99

lvillalt99 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Actually Tmonine, in my personal experience it can be the total opposite sometimes. Depending on the resources available at runtime.

I've worked in places where one sometimes needs to support a platform for a number of years contractually, so to me it is more of a sign of professional competence when people think about the variables during design and development. Yet, there is always a point where users need to be cut off.

I actually bought a used 1G before the SDK was announced (but after the first Apple apps came out). I was banking that with the new Apple, this would snowball into good Apps. I was tired of backporting stuff into my Palm TX.

I think it worked just as well as when I convinced my boss to run some CERN software on a spare NeXT. For something called the world wide web....