Who will make this? (true console quality game)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tocarina, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

It will probably be a few years until developers start making games that rival other handheld consoles like the DS and PSP, let alone PS3 and Wii, especially the epic RPGs they have. So far I don't think there's a single game for iPhone that is the same quality as a console game. Eye-candy like NOVA are too shallow and short to quality as a full-fledged shooter. And Gameloft, Gamevil, and perhaps com2us are the only developers pushing the boundaries here.

2. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    They still haven't achieved all their goals for it. Like sharing tracks and stuff like that.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Funny you should post this today. Check out the main story on the site.

4. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Jesus Christ I do sound like you o__o

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Just so you know, Brother In Arms, AC 1, AC 2, GTA Chinatown are all based on the DS version, so they're definitely on par with DS games (plus better graphics and lower price).

Games like Super Monkey Ball 2, Monkey Island, NFS, Peggle, Doom are all console quality too.

I agree that it will take time until we have hundreds of great console-quality games, but definitely not as long as we all thought before. Just compare what you can get for $10 when AppStore was launched and what you can get for $1 now, you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I don't want iPhone to be just-another-PSP, we should still have some original titles that play best on iPhone such as Labyrinth, Fieldrunners, Zen Bound, Sway, Beat It, Scoops, etc. Those are beautiful games you can't play as nicely on other platforms!

6. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I think the same. I prefer the iPhone to have its personality and actually I love the mix with casual pick and play games and big console experiences.

Sometimes I see our device as a Warioware game because I have like 200 games that I just play a little time

7. gelas_plastik

gelas_plastik Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    #27 gelas_plastik, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    The way I see this, to have a console quality games on itouch, it has to be a port .. in GTA:CW case for example, I think Rockstar might see it as a 'snack' .. I mean, they probably make a tons of money out of DS and PSP version already, so if the itouch version didn't make it, they really don't have much to lose there .. and some more they don't even have to spent a lot for a port, so as far as the pricing goes, it shouldn't exceed the limit that currently being set for appstore standard which is 10 bucks ..

As a consumer, I would prefer this kind of market, instead of having an original console quality games at premium prices .. I wouldn't mind paying 10 bucks for a port, and to be fair I think 10 bucks for a port should be profitable enough for developers ..

Itouch in my point of view should be retained as it is .. it can be a phone, multimedia device or PDA .. any effort to change it to a pure gaming console will convert it to a different product altogether, which will deceive the true purpose of having it .. I mean, for example as for now, at my age, it doesn't look weird when I play games on my itouch because people see it as a smart device capable of gaming, BUT if let say itouch is being marketed as a pure gaming console, my daughter will probably laugh at me when she saw me tilting my itouch when playing NFS .. and that actually happened before when I play God of War in my late PSP ..

:)

anyway that just my personal opinion ..

8. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Actually GTA DS version didn´t sold that much copies and for that reason they released to the PSP to try to make profit. I am not sure if in the PSP market did better but I suspect not. Then I feel here in iPhone will sell very good and 10$ X 100000 costumers will be a lot more than with the original DS version. Maybe if that happens Rockstar will think about making another GTA with Iphone in mind. My guess is that will happen in a year

9. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

#29 Aurora, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    I hardly think Gameloft's so-called FPS games are "console-quality", even handheld consoles. They're all short and have mediocre difficulty, and offer no unique elements. The only thing that they have in common with DS and PSP games is the visual/audio. Assassin's Creed probably wasn't meant for any handheld device. I'm rather biased towards any Rockstar games, especially the GTA series; I never had an interest in living the life of a bloodthirsty gangster where more than half the script is filled with expletives.
    If a clone of something like The Worlds Ends with You, Tenchu, anything in the Tales series, Fire Emblem, or Oboromuramasa came out, then I would consider that the first console-quality game.

So that makes it the second time you sound like me? If you have a problem with that how about stop sounding like me, instead of posting things that makes no sense, especially ones with biblical references?

10. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    GTA is the first, and it's now out.

The Mistwalker/Sakaguchi project should be another, perhaps the first real iPhone-exclusive console level game.

11. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    well im kinda trying to make an LBP, but im taking it extremely slowly and everybody that is interested all agrees, we need money for this project. We need money for a good engine, and an awesome team. But, im hoping that this actually happens, cuz I know our version wont be that 3 plane side scrolling customizing awesomeness that we all know and love by the name of LBP.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Aurora, whether you like it or not, GTA games are console games. No if, ands, or buts.

As far as FPS are concerned, Nova and Modern Combat are better than anything available on the PSP or DS. They are short, yes, but gameplay is exponentially better (particularly than on the PSP, where you have to aim with the face buttons). And difficulty? Please: PSP 3D shooters have so much auto-aim than you can play them with your eyes closed.

13. GTA for iPhone. Console quality has arrived. But I am quite surprised about the price...

14. What's "The Mistwalker/Sakaguchi project"?

15. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    if someone made a LBP or a BLW (BigLittleWorld) then it would be number 1 within hours.. easily

16. Gameloft, how about SmallLargeMoon: Rucksackboy Adventures? :D

17. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

Great question!

Here is the answer ....

It will be iD.
    Mark my words ....

:)

18. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
  19. JoshCM