Why did you choose iTouch over iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by h0130j03, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Bethany

Bethany Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Two-year cost to own of an iPhone: $1900
    Two-year cost to own of a 16g Touch: $320 (assuming one $10 firmware update a year.)

That's why. I'd love to have Internet everywhere, but not for that much money, especially since I spend most of my time at home or on campus, and I have WiFi both places.

For calling, I have a $14 phone and a $25 a month pay-as-you-go plan from Virgin, and even that's frankly excessive for my phone needs. (2-year cost $600, but I can drop or scale back anytime... and looking at that price, maybe I should!) I'm not a big phone user.

If there were a pay-as-you-go plan for the iPhone (pay for 3G Internet time by the minute) then I would be VERY tempted. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.

2. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    At first I hated the idea of an iPhone because of the monthly charges, the bulkiness, everything. I really wanted to get an iPod Touch at first because it's a one charge price: you buy it you keep it.

Well, ever since I bought my brother an iPhone 3GS, I was playing with it for a long time and I really like it. It's fast, you have internet anywhere, and you don't always have to try to find Wi-Fi. I'm going to keep my iPod Touch first gen until the next next generation of the iPhone comes out.

3. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Because it's cheaper. I have had a 1G since it's debut back in 2007.

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I got mine last year because it came free with the purchase of my Macbook Pro.:D

Gotta love those Apple Store education discounts.

Still, I would've chosen the iTouch over the iPhone anyway. I don't actually use my cell phone all too often (I kinda hate the whole concept of always being in communication or capable of communicating with people, tbqh). Got a cheap pre-paid cell phone, put about $100 on it every year, more if I'm at a shoot or something. Besides, I'm almost always near a landline (office and/or home office, where landlines are still necessary), so if someone needs to contact me they can through that avenue.

And if I don't pick up, too f'n bad for them. I got stuff to do.

Like play games on my iTouch :p

5. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    IT
    #25 Mr. Obvious, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    Biggest and most obvious reasons were already given. Personally, I have been on the Sprint plan for years, and with the way folks talk about their lack of service with AT&T, I am not ready to dump Sprint and head in that direction.
    The IPOD Touch on the other hand is a great little machine, and at 16gb, it is holding all my apps, music, and videos quite well.
    As for the phone as a gaming machine, I think the world is ready for one that they can use as both, but they will have to wait until battery life extension is figured out. That is unless they are willing to tether themselves using the charger while playing. (not comfortable)
    You see, you need a phone for the purpose it was created, to send and receive calls and text. Period. Everything else is gravy. But all this gravy comes with a price in that it uses alot of battery. So if you have the occasional app that you can go and check the weather, or your investments, or maybe some sports scores, great! But to use a phone as a gaming platform is really not what it is best for, YET!
    Once the designers figure out how to extend battery life even when you are playing Doom and Sparta for hours, then we will see it more for what it can be.
    My suggestions for Apple would be to find a way to extend battery life, while allowing the user to do whatever they want and not worry about not having any juice left to make a phone call.
    Oh, and open up your product to more than one carrier. That would be a huge help.
    You have the best phone on the market, hands down. But there are millions of potential customers that you have ignored because of the ties to only AT&T.
    While yes you can buy the phone at full price,(no discount because not through AT&T) and you can jail break it (not too many of the older generations will even try to attempt this) and put it on another carrier.
    Fine, but for the reasons above, you are limiting your market and shutting out good folks like me, (Sprint user) from taking advantage of your Awesome phone.
    There are more advanced phones coming over the horizon. They will not already have all the support like the IPHONE has with the Itunes store, but they will be far advanced with computer like abilities that will offer greater graphics and more options.
    NVida has created a prototype phone/gaming system that blows the doors off of anything we have out. It just needs someone to pick up that torch and move it into the phone market. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_tegra_apx_us.html

This is no slam on Apple. I own a MAC PRO and an IPod Touch 16 gb.
    So I support and love Apple products. I just think from a marketing perspective, shutting yourself in with one carrier as a partner is really not going to help you in the long run. Hopefully, that will change.

6. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    i have an ipod. no monthly fees or data plans, etc.

7. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    I would of got an iPhone but it's only for AT&T.
    I use Verizon.
    I heard they are making a iPhone for verizon too. Not sure when.

8. anonymous

anonymous Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    skater
    US
    iPod touchs 2gn are smaller and faster than iPhone and the iPhone cost 60$ a month x3 years wich is 2100$ for thAt.

9. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I would prefer an iPod Touch with GPS, but it's also convenient to have access to the internet anywhere.

10. MojoArcanus

MojoArcanus Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    AMEN, Brother!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. My cell phone gets thrown around, dropped, left in the hot truck, the cold truck, the dog chews on it, etc. My iPotch, on the other hand is treated like a one of a kind piece of fine china. I have a PSP, and I've always treated it the same way. Never have wanted an iPhone. It would be like fusing a flat-screen plasma TV with a washing machine!!! NO THANKS!!!:D

11. Houli

Houli Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Hmm. I couldn't live with just the iPod Touch. I always find myself using location based apps and games when I'm out so I need the constant data connection. Plus the features as a phone rock like the threaded SMS view that makes sense.

12. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I did mainly because I don't have AT&T as a cell-phone provider and I don't want to have to switch over. But also because of the faster speed and engine and size of it as well.

13. Houli

Houli Member

Jul 2, 2009
    We talking about steam trains here? What do you mean by engine :p? I presume you mean processor.

14. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    +iPhone

It is the iPhone for me. I travel quite a bit and have tried many smartphones including Blackberries always looking for an all in one device that can play music, make phone calls, send email and browse the web. I can't STAND carrying more than one device the only exception being my photography equipment for work.

I purchased the original iPhone in October of 2007 and haven't owned another brand of cell phone since.

Not an Apple fanboy, tried the iPod classic and actually sold it five months after purchase because at that time I purchased a phone that would play mp3 songs, so I used it.

Yes in my opinion the iPhone isn't the best phone out there (it actually is better than my previous blackberry though) but I use email, etwitter, sms and beejive a lot of the time. Can't beat the web experience on it or the GUI and no preloaded crapware like you get with other ATT/Verizon/TMobile/Sprint subsidized phones.

15. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    well at the time there was no 16 gig iPhone, i couldn't (and can't) afford it, being a teenager and lastly i would be screwed if i lost it or ran out of battery ALL the time

16. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    haha I can relate.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I feel like a bit of a goof, however, since I started off with the ipod touch 2nd generation 32G model but now, over 100 games later, I doubt I'm even using much more than 8G. Might seriously consider just getting a 16G on my next upgrade...speaking of which, any clue when the ipod touch 3gs are coming?

18. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    Something will be announced in September.

19. aboll2009

aboll2009 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    Sh*t, I thought it was coming OUT in September!!!:mad::mad::mad::D:mad:

20. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    haha yeah, sucks doesn't it?