Universal Wide Sky (Universal app by Marcus Eckert)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in love with the art and sound design but I really can't figure this game out. I've already put more time into than I do with a lot of iOS games but I still never feel nearly as in control as I'd like to be.

2. mwhite67

mwhite67 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Looks nice, but I don't really like the gameplay. Gets boring pretty quick.

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You've got it the wrong way around.
    If they make it universal, then I'll buy it.
    If you want a really successful game these days, you just have to make it universal from the get go.

I'm really disappointed, I wanted to buy it after watching the videos.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Not necessarily. Look at Rovio for example...they've been doing juuuust fine. :p That said, yeah...there should be an iPad alternative at least. The developer doesn't have an iPad, so it makes sense that this is an iPhone-only release though.

Screen orientation option or auto-rotation, please.

5. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Don't let the x2 resolution idea bother you for iPad. It's still a looker on iPad 3.

6. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Tilt controls = no buy, thank you. Give me buttons any time.

7. saehild

saehild Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Beautiful game design. That trailer alone was incredibly crafted, though I can't stand tilt control games, is just rather use touch. Purchased but hoping for alt control scheme.

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    It auto-rotates just fine on my phone...

9. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I should have been more clear, what I meant to say was Universal or both iPad and iPhone versions.
    Just like Rovio, in fact... :)

The developer could easily have borrowed an iPad if he doesn't own one I would guess, there's so many people with iPads now, he doesn't need an iPad Mini, as its the same resolution as iPad 2.

Retina could be implemented down the road if it sold well, as well as Achievements which IMO is unnecessary in a lot of games, even if the youngsters sometimes prefer an inferior game with achievements to vastly superior games without.

What I'm saying is that there's so many people with iPads that don't use their iPhones for gaming anymore that it's akin to shooting yourself in the foot not to plan for the iPad at the get go.

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmmm I slightly agree here, since I got my iPad a couple of months ago I haven't bought a single game for my iPod touch, now I only download universal or HD versions.
    I just pass on games that don't support iPad as I don't like playing x2 mode.

This looks cool though so I'll pick it up if it does go universal. :)

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Maybe it's an iPhone 4-specific issue? Or perhaps the iOS version? Someone else complained about it in the front-page article.

Oh, I totally agree with this and know where you're coming from. I haven't used my iPhone for gaming since getting my iPad a month ago, and whatever iPhone only releases I've gotten have either been barely touched or deleted already. If this ultimately wins me over to the point where I just must play it all the time, I guess I'll just have to put up with 2x mode on iPad...something I haven't done, except with one of those silly "Battery" apps.

12. Fruityth1ng

Fruityth1ng Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Will buy when universal :)

Just to chime in: I'll buy this instantly if the developer promises to make it universal rather than two separate apps.

Cherry on whipped cream addition: iCloud progress sync :)

13. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Been playing this for a bit now, and the more I get used to it, the more I love it.

I will say, however, that having an orb spawn right near the ground when one of your rope missions is "don't touch the ground" is evil.

14. Jet_Black

Jet_Black Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Looks awesome, love the art style. I'll wait until an iPad/universal version.

15. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    I thought I was going to die laughing watching Sanuku's vid, failing the launch and it then just flat out saying 'You're not very good at this are you?'. Overall all the writing of that bit is superb. Definitely going to pick this one up once I get home.

16. m.o.n.k.

m.o.n.k. Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I would like the rope to keep going until it grabs something rather than have a max length which isn't all that long, i think that could alleviate some of the frustration of swinging? I'm finding it tough to discern what is the top of the hedgehog when I'm flying through the air also. I'm sure it's something i'll get used to and better at in time, but at the moment it's getting in the way of the beautiful artwork, great sound, charm and sublime presentation. It's got a lot of potential though and I dont regret putting money on it, I would have happily paid twice that. It's got some of the nicest aesthetics on the app store along with hundereds.

17. Tobi (AppGemeinde)

Tobi (AppGemeinde) Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

This game is awesome! The graphics and animations are awesome and the gameplay is simple but sort of addictive. For this price a mustbuy!:)

18. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    I guess lucky him, this also happens on my 4S with 6.0.1 it doesnt auto rotate at all

19. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Wondering if I should get this and bouncey? Are they both good and have lasting appeal?

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Both ooze quality and you would be spending $2 on 2 of the best new releases out there, IMO.