Will iDevices ever be the portable devices of choice for hardcore gamers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Feb 15, 2010.

1. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Sure, you can have hundreds of games on your iDevice. But how many of those have a full storyline, 3D graphics, and depth to the game, as Athlos seems to be stressing as qualities of AAA titles?

In my opinion, no portable device will ever be able to satisfy a "hardcore" gamer, as the original question specified. There are too many flaws associated with the positive points. The iDevices look promising as gaming platorms, but at this point, nothing the iDevice has can realy overcome the exclusivity barrier that the DS has because of Nintendo's games associated with their device.

2. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I doubt that happens. As much as the DS sells here, it pales in comparison to the populatiry in Japan. Is the iPhone even that popular in Japan? I know the Xbox and the Xbox 360 have sold horribly in Japan.

3. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    #43 Athlos, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    What are you talking about? The ipod touch runs DS equivalent games for nearly the same time, that means they're almost the exact same battery. Processor hungry games eat battery life faster, it's not because the ipod touch wasn't made for it, it's because the battery isn't adequate to handle it. But it's still about the same as the PSP's battery life when it comes to psp equivalent games. They all use nearly the same battery, it's just the differential in games creates a differential in battery usage.

As for your example of Super Mario 3D, that game doesn't require nearly as much battery life as a game like CoD Zombies, NOVA, or Modern Combat. (It's like using a N64 battery to play a PS2 game, it would run out faster)

4. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Hmm i havn't seen a AAA title for iphone yet. Belive me golden sun ds is coming and i absolutely loved the world end's with you. With classics like fire emblem , advance wars , little indie devs can't compete with big companies...

5. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Yeah..... It pisses me off to no end that I cant have these games on my iphone. I HATE hauling around multiple handheld devices.

6. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    For the ipod touch, they can. It's the way apple's market is set up.

Anyways, I did some research regarding actual batteries of each device, here's what I found:

Ipod Touch 3G: 1400 mAh
    PSP-2000(Slim): 1200 mAh
    Nintendo DSi: 1600 mAh

The higher the mAh, the higher the capacity. So it looks as though the ipod touch is right in the middle.

7. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #47 Omega-F, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Your definition of AAA is messed up bro.

A triple A game is:

either a game that was extremely expensive to make or a game of an exceptional quality. iPhone games are anything but that.

How many times a game has been downloaded or how popular it is doesn't have absolutely anything to do with AAA, because if you apply that concept, then "Farmville" for Facebook would be the most "AAA" game in history.

8. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    It's psp 3000 and psp go now

9. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Then why don't you still play your gameboy? Besides, it's unfair to compare anything to classics, classics are unbeatable. That'd be like comparing bioshock to doom.

10. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I dont really get it... Why are you constantly posting on a dedicated iphone gaming forum when you HATE iphone gaming?? It just doesnt make sense to me.

There are many iphone games of exeptional qualtiy. It doesnt take millions of dollars to make something exceptional quality.

11. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I said Treyarch made a AAA game, not that iphone games are AAA...

12. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    AAA are the big name games on a platform that receive excellent reviews all around. It really doesn't deal with cost, but most AAA titles do have big budgets. It's all about bigger name games with very high review scores and overall being considered high quality games.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not to question your awesomeness, CaptainAwesome, but comparing the processor capacity of the DSi to the iPhone 3Gs is just silly. We have a number of DS ports already available in the App Store. With one exception (civilian voices in GTA:CW) they all run faster, include more levels/features, and have much higher resolution on the iPhone than they do on the DSi. Just compare AC2, Broken Sword, Giana Sisters, Wire Way and GTA:CW.

You're in much safer ground with the PSP; it's amazing what it can do visually, considering that it's running on 5 years old technology. I'm sure that big dvelopment budgets help, but there's no question that Sony engineered the device to be a gaming powerhouse. Too bad that many of those graphically impressive games are no fun to play at all.

14. donner

donner Well-Known Member

BTW.... AAA doesnt have an actual definition, so its really up to you what it means.

15. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    LOL, I have to agree with you on that one.

16. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Treyarch is not really an AAA developer, hell, they are considered to be a B team and those who have played their games acknowledge that. Their COD's are decent, but pale in comparison to, say, Infinity Ward's games.

17. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Soul Calibur Broken Destiny both look way better than CoD Zombies

Also, while the iPhone does pass the PSP in resolution (actually, the PPI for the Go is pretty close FWIW) the iPhone 3G does not pass it in graphical power. I'm not too sure about the 3GS though.

18. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Yea, I believe only the newest generation iPod and iPhone pass psp in graphical power.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Frankly, it doesn't matter. The DSi has about a quarter of the graphical power of a PSP and it's about 100 times more fun.

20. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    The problem with iPhone games, and why they'll never be the main source of gaming for someone who enjoys 'hardcore' games is that they just do not hold your attention for more than a few hours.

I envision that something like this game:

[​IMG]

is going to be on my ds for at least 50 hours. Now, can you truly say that for an iPhone game? :rolleyes: