Will iDevices ever be the portable devices of choice for hardcore gamers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Feb 15, 2010.

1. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Some DS control schemes I can buy, but trying to use a PSP game as an example? That kills your argument. Physical controls or not, PSP shooter controls are TERRIBLE.

2. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    You haven't played Resistance, haven't you?

Is not great by any means, but is still far superior to any iPhone FPS.

3. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    #83 SarcasticGamer, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    When you decide to give an opinion you should at least try to back it up with valid arguments. Your arguments are all hilariously flawed.

I played it and frankly it doesn't live to the hype, Killzone: liberation is better, it's a forgotten game right now.

4. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #84 Omega-F, Feb 15, 2010
    Says someone who can't come with a good counterargument. The irony :rolleyes:

What's flawed about my "virtual buttons on certain games (the majority of hardcore games) will never, ever, ever, ever match an actual physical control argument" Try to prove that statement wrong.

5. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    No, but I've played enough on the PSP to know that without a full redesign, shooter controls on the system are terrible.

The fact is touch controls are a new thing and there is a certain learning curve with both developers and gamers in being successful with them. For years the thought of playing an FPS on a console was laughable until Bungie came out with Halo and proved that an FPS can work well. Now fast forward 8 years later and console FPS games are a dime a dozen and many gamers actually prefer the controller vs. mouse and keyboard.

6. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Haven't you heard the term 'preference' ? You speak of hardcore games so let me tell you that FPS, RTS , and TBS works better on a touch screen interface and Racing games works better on accelerometer. The only genre i will agree with you is platforming.

7. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #87 Omega-F, Feb 15, 2010
    Here's an interesting analogy; playing FPS's on the iPhone is as awkward as playing a N64 FPS now. For those who are accustomed to better control methods is just impossible to go back to awkward controls.

8. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    You live in a bubble buddy. Sure, you may get responses like "yeah, I agree with him" here since you are on an iPhone only gaming board, but you would get slaughtered on a multiplatform forum for saying such a mind blowingly ridiculous thing.

9. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    So you call the psp control scheme 'better control methods' ? Like I said all your argument are flawed.

10. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    It was akward as hell playing an FPS with any controller for a while during the PS2/Xbox years. It was akward the first few times I played just about any game on my Wii with the motion controls. Any new control scheme takes time and the right developer to make it work. Touch screens may never fully catch on, but they are definitely the hot thing right now in terms of mobile devices and I would not be surprised to see touch controls heavily used in a DS2 or PSP2 design.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You bring up Resistance? You mean the game in which you aim by moving around a box about 2/3 the size of the screen, then tapping the stick to move from one target to the next? The game that makes Modern Combat seem like a hardcore FPS experience? Talk about lowering your standards, man.

12. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Hahaha! Buddy I am slaughtering noobs like you on a multiplatform forum. No one will agree with you that the psp do justice to any FPS! That is why we are shouting for a second Anolog stick cuz face buttons for aiming sucks.

13. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    and yet again you utterly fail to prove so.

Like I said, PSP shooter controls are not the best thing ever, but they are still superior that any iPhone shooter. But then again is kinda hard to take you seriously anymore since, according to you, FPS's are better on touch screen based controls :rolleyes:

Go and take a nap bro, you are just delusional.

14. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    RTS controls and likely TBS as well are without a doubt better on a touch screen vs. a controller. FPS controls are of course based on personal preference, but as I've said a bunch of times now, DS and PSP FPS controls aren't great. For RPG games, I can see where a touch screen would be beneficial for a WRPG with a lot of menus and places to click on the screen but for JRPG's, controllers are probably better.

It's not exactly an insane statement.

15. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    yep, that same game you mention has better control than any FPS on the iPhone ;)

16. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Yes cuz they provide mouse like precision. No one will agree with you that the PSP fps is superior with anything its crappiest of them all!

17. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Touch screen's allow for the option of a virtual dual analog control scheme, which well implemented work's much better than what you get with the PSP.

18. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    RTS and TBS play definitely better on a touch screen. Nintendo DS has the advantage here because you also have buttons and a more precise screen. Playing Advance Wars feels better than say Uniwar.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's just nonsense: Resistance solves the no-dual-stick problem of the PSP by eliminating aiming altogether. It doesn't give you better controls -- it gives you less control.

20. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Dear lord, you have no clue what you are talking about.