Will Ipad3 have graphics similar to xbox360?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RCranium666, Jun 21, 2011.

1. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

You realize this product hasn't even been announced yet? Thus rendering anything said here into baseless speculation? You get that, right?

2. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I did not realize that!:rolleyes:

3. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    No, you see the size of the PS3 and 360? If anything Microsoft and Sony would have built a smaller console the size of an iPad by the time it's possible for a console with the capacity of a 360 or PS3.

4. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    True, but those consoles are using 5 year old technology now. I'm not asking if ipad3 will run crysis2, but games like Raiden4 with all the graphics.

5. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    I believe the industry's prediction was 2014.

I've read several articles from early 2010 that speculate a 3 - 4 year time frame before anything honestly comparable to a current generation console can be produced on a mobile product. Although the PS VITA simulates a more "PS3" feel to portable games, there is obviously a large gap in terms of true processing power. Here is an example:

ANDROID WILL HAVE PS3 GRAPHICS IN 3 YEARS.

Taylor Wimberly on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm33 comments
    0share0share0 0

First, on the topic of games, I have a small update to a story we ran last week. I had been speculating that Epic Games would announce the Unreal Engine for Android and I was completely wrong. Epic unveiled the Unreal Engine for Palm’s webOS and that was it for mobile.

We did however, get a glimpse of future mobile technology at the recent Game Developers Conference.

Imagination Technology, makers of the PowerVR GPU chip that powers the Motorola Droid, said we will definitely have “graphics comparable to the PlayStation 3 in three years”.

They can predict this with certainty because the chips are already being designed and it takes about three years for them to reach an actual handset. The new chipsets will be focused on multiprocessors and Imagination Technology claims you could theoretically have three or four in your phone.

6. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    The technology exists now, but cannot be produced on a massive scale. Once a new type of chip is tested, they need to design and build machines that can produce mass amounts of these chips. This all takes several years and sometimes even longer than most would think.

We are truly living in exponential times.