Will iphone gaming die due to piracy?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by linuslim, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    My philosophy is that someone who downloads an album for free is no better than the person that walks into a store and steals a CD. Same goes for apps. Only, most people need to park a truck in front of the store their stealing from.

2. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Agreed. Piracy is equivalent to stealing.

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Piracy is bad. But also, who's to say on the major system there is no pirating? no one. because it happens. but guess what, the system manufacturer overcomes these and (like the ps3) releases updates that stop it. Tapulous has popups that reigster that your a pirate! And im sure apple is trying to stop this, we just need time. But hey, some people think its right.

4. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Well if you want to look at it from that perspective stealing a Lady Gogo CD from the mall is still not the same thing as pickpocketing the change donated to the guy standing outside the mall panhandling and playing a guitar.

5. newbatthis

newbatthis Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
  6. one f jef

one f jef Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Yes yes, just like how musicians no longer make music, movie companies no longer make movies, game companies no longer make games (there is piracy on major consoles as well as pc, so they are equivalent in this matter).

So yes, as you can plainly see by the evidence around you, iPhone gaming will SURELY DIE.

7. jbone1337

jbone1337 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    75% are pirated? i dont know where that number came from lol.

so that means there are probably 8-12% are jailbroken.

of that say 12%, how many of those download cracked app store apps? Im jailbroken and i dont. So maybe 5-10% do that, so its more like a loss of 5-10% of sales.

I agree that developers need to focus on making quality games and keep constant updates to increase sales. Also the making more ingame purchases might eliminate some pirating too.

8. ultimatehobo

ultimatehobo Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    #28 ultimatehobo, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    i jailbroke and i just was not all that for me. so i restored to a regular ipod because it was ot so cool and i just thought it was boring and it wasted battery. so people piracy is stupid and wrong. if u wanna go to jail fine by me but im stayin legal:)

9. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #29 tblrsa, Jan 27, 2010
    Well, it´s easy to answer this question. Indies will apparently always decide to develop for the iDevice platform, simply because they just have to meet the hardware requirements for XCode, pay 99$ a year and are then allowed to supply as many apps they want in the whole year. I really can´t listen to the outcry against Apple anymore.
    Nintendo for example doesn´t accept home offices as secure locations, so 90% of the independant devs developing for the iDevices wouldn´t get the SDK for the DS or the Wii anyway.

Maybe in common-law, but for sure not in civil law jurisdictions. Piracy is not even the proper legal term for copyright infringement. Stealing is something completely different alltogether (in civil law jurisdictions).

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Developers have to pay $99 a year to put games onto the Appstore? I never knew that. And how did you know, anyhow?

11. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
  12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #32 Vovin, Jan 27, 2010

Heck - there are over 40 million iDevices sold! 10% are 4 million devices... 5% pirates means 2 million pirates...

13. owaispoul

owaispoul New Member

Jan 23, 2010
    There are a number of cases of piracy of the iPhone games and other application but the real ones would always be real and would have some hidden benefits, like the security, :rolleyes: but the pirated ones wouldn't have any of these features. :p Moreover, iPhone would require even bigger and better reason to be out of the market after such instant popularity. :D

14. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    As long as there are indies iphone gaming wont die. We wont succumb to the pirates.

15. linuslim

linuslim Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    how many itouch and iphone devices in total? i hope developers do not feel dishearten by the piracy stats. i am sure most developers had made good profits.

16. jbone1337

jbone1337 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    ya 2 million pirates, but 38 million legit buyers >.>

17. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Have books died due to libraries?

This is a stupid discussion.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #38 Vovin, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010

Do you really think that there are 38 million gamers? Gamers are the minority. Most people use the iPhone for surfing, phone, iPod and messaging purposes!
    Even Doodle Jump, the game that sold more copies than most of the other games is just close to 2 million sales, not 38 millions... Count in, that most of these customers only might have bought it because everyone says it's cool - but these are not the gamers as we are. Flight Control hit the 2 million copies sold mark. Another game mostly every iDevice gamer has. Get real.

And let me correct: it's already more than 250 million devices sold.

19. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Not sure I understand the association your making. What's the library in this case? The iPhone?

20. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Pirating is NO PROBLEM. People who pirate wouldn't buy.

False. My friend used to buy apps, and now he pirates them.

Will pirating wreck the app store? No. It hasn't, and it's been going on for a while. People are making money off the app store, just not as much as they would've.