Will the iPad hurt iPhone gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Mar 31, 2010.

?

Will the iPad hurt the iPhone gaming in the long run?

1. Yes

100 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. No

147 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010

PC gamers wont look at the Ipad twice, they all think Apple hardware is a joke for gaming. They'd be right, OSX has never been for gaming, instead people buy Windows for that. The Iphone and Ipod always get slagged off by the core gamer because they have no buttons and the touch screen controls suck for anything that isn't made for it. Like FPS or Action games need proper buttons to work well.

Everyone I know thinks the Ipad is a joke and they wont look at it twice, especially my hardcore gamer friends.

I just don't know who the Ipad is for but Apple Fanbois or the clueless.

You wouldn't want to use it for browsing the net because it doesn't have flash support and you can't install anything, so you'd use Windows or OSX for that. You wouldn't want to use it for games because the hardware isn't as powerful as a PC at the same price and it doesn't haver proper controls. So all you'll see is gimmicky games or Ipod ports. You wouldn't want to use it for business or anything because again Windows and a proper PC is much better for that. You can't use it for a webcam because it doesn't have any of that and it isn't portable enough for it to be an Ipod and it isn't a Phone...

Who is meant to buy it but the stupid?

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Stop laughing, and look how the PC market has shaken out.

There's less developer support in the PC market. Most formerly PC focused or centric devs have increased support for home consoles, or gone primarily home console with their support.

"Core" gamers have ebbed away from the PC market over the years and gone more toward the home console market. And it doesn't help that the PC gaming market for years targeted those older than the home console market. When the consumers in the former group got older, they moved away from gaming. When the consumers in the latter group got older, they moved away from gaming or stayed with the home consoles due to the lower entry costs of home console gaming.

Yes, they do.

But not typically on the platform itself. The yearly "buy a new GPU" craze that hit the PC market started to turn potential consumers away from that very market.

Another example is PS3. $599 intro price point. High sales during the launch window due to early adopters. The more mainstream "core" market, however, balked. PS3 is now on the lower end of the totem pole in terms of sales, including software sales. Why? The "core" market balked; the product was over their perceived value for such a product (game console). When a product is over the perceived value held for such products by the primary consumer market for said product, said product will have issues with software sales directed toward said consumer market.

With iPad you have a double edged sword in terms of the game market. One, the price point may well be over the perceived value of such a product for those younger consumers who make up the bulk of the "core" gamer market. For another, said "core" consumers value mobility; in the mobile and portable sectors how mobile/portable something is proves to be a big selling point.

This "kiddies" nonsense has to stop.

This isn't about lacking ability to pay the higher price, but not wanting to. Holding a perceived value isn't about not being able to afford something, but rather not believing the MSRP reflects the value held by the consumer for such a product.

And what if you want to take serious entertainment at your fingertips when you go to the gym, or take a walk? When you're on the train or bus on the way to work? For a quick "go" on a store or post office line?

iPod touch makes more sense for consumers who wish for those things than iPad due to being more mobile.

3. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Anyone even LOOKED at the iPad app store yet? (Get the new iTunes)

There are so many good games it's not even funny.

MIRROR'S EDGE!
    GEOMETRY WARS!
    PLUS ALL THE TITLES WITH -HD AT THE END!

For example, Minigore HD has DIFFERENT STAGES NOW!

4. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I want to a add a few points.

-I still don't get this idea that the iPad is going to make the iPod touch ill relevant. Many people get an iPod touch because it has the iPod name, it's a portable music player and it has all of the multimedia/connectivity features of an iPhone minus 3G and the actual phone function. For a relatively affordable price you get a portable music player that can surf the web and take advantage of all the cool iPhone apps. It is great for those who don't want the high cost of an iPhone bill (or any other smartphone) or those who aren't on AT&T and do not want to switch carriers (cost, family/friends on other networks, better service with other networks etc..). The main thing is you get all of this and it can fit in your pocket and go with you wherever you go. It's about having a music player, and all the extra cool stuff that fits in your pocket. The iPad is not a replacement for that. The only way it is a replacement is if someone uses their iPod Touch exclusively at home and portability is not an option. Otherwise, people who want all the features and portability of an iPhone without actually getting one will still have the iPod Touch as the main option.

-Regarding the comment that hardcore gamers spend money, this device is not for the hardcore gamer. Yes there are hardcore gamers who are Apple fans or do play a lot of idevice games and will pick one up. With that said, the majority of "hardcore" gamers do not take iDevice gaming serious. There is a reason why mobile gaming has little to no coverage on major gaming websites or podcasts (aside from those specific to iPhone/mobile gaming). Right or wrong, these devices are not hardcore gaming devices. A hardcore gamer would rather spend $500 on any consoles do they do not own, or upgrades to their gaming PC.

-Regarding gaming on the iPad specifically, we'll see how long the current emphasis on iPad gaming lasts. If the games sell well, there will continue to be games that come out on the device, but it would foolish to ignore the massive market for the iPhone/iPod Touch. As long as the iPhone is a major force in the smartphone market, there will be millions of devices out there. A major advantage right now is the premium pricing of the iPad apps, but I think those will settle down to prices a little more in line with the iPhone. As I said before, unless Apple forces devs to set minimum prices, market forces will continue to drive the price down. If iPad apps are similar prices, and devs are not getting a higher profit margin (esp. with the fact that iPad apps prob take a bit more investment to develop), the iPhone will definitely be a better market.

-Finally regarding the market that the iPad focuses on, I think its hard to tell right now. I do agree that the iPad liekly does appeal to a wider range demographic and will likely skew older than what the iPhone, and specifically the iPod Touch does. This of course isn't law, but it is the younger consumers who are more likely to really focus on gaming with any of these devices, and with an older audience, I dont think gaming will be as big of a focus for many on the iPad.

5. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I sort of understand this mentality because I'm in the same boat -- I want Small Worlds but I kind of don't want an iPad.

At the same time, I don't want a game that's designed around the capabilities of the iPad to be shoehorned onto the iPhone either. Making compromises and concessions generally isn't a good thing.

I think each device will just end up providing different experiences once everything settles down.

6. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Agreed. The Wii and DS more than proved that to people.

What annoys me is games that are only released on the ipad, even though they definitely aren't built around it's features. Take Geometry Wars for example, which is part of a genre that's been proven to work well on the iPhone and IMO actually isn't as suited to the ipad (because it's a pick-up-and-play type genre), and has fairly simple retro-styled graphics that wouldn't tax the iPhone, let alone benefit at all from the ipad - and yet for some reason this game doesn't seem to be getting an iPhone release.

7. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Well just in the last two hours there has been a new Tap Tap and Aurora Feint game with no mention of iPhone releases. It doesn't make much sense. If anything, at least do releases for both.

8. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I hear ya. Geometry Wars being exclusive to the iPad baffles me for all the reasons you outline above.

Publishers seem to be enamored with the $9.99+ de facto standard price point on the iPad right now (and probably with good reason). My guess is things will get a little more normal once the iPad gold rush dies down and we'll start seeing things fall where they make the most sense.

9. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    There is no way those prices hold. All it takes it one developer undercutting competing games and everything falls back to where it is with the iPhone. The cool thing about the App store is that it really is one of the best real world examples of something close to a perfectly competitive market, which is why prices are so low and it really is a consumer friendly environment. That won't change with the iPad unless there is a concerted effort by all (it would have to be funneled through Apple) to keep prices higher.

10. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    We'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I think the iPad (besides the name) is a stupid piece of tech -- no offense to those who think it's awesome and already pre-ordered one. Gaming-wise, the iPad is to Apple what the DSi XL is to Nintendo and the PSPgo is to Sony: a new SKU without a clear target audience. I know the iPad is not just a gaming device and does more, but everything else it does besides play games is exactly the same thing you can do on an iPhone (and iPod touch to a slightly more limited extent). That's my thing. I'd have love for the iPad if it had multi-tasking capabilities or word processing (and no, an app doesn't count: I mean a REAL program), etc., it'd be cool. But it's just a bigger iPhone/iPod touch basically.

I dunno, we'll just have to see in time but I just got my iPod touch 3G back in October and love it b/c it's portable. I'm a hardcore gamer and it still hasn't replaced my DS Lite but I still really like it. Unless Apple REALLY treats their "gaming division" with the same level of seriousness as gaming companies with the iPad, it's a no go for me.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Something that I'm beginning to realize is that while I'm thrilled that many of my favorite games are now Universal Builds with native iPad support (for free! :)) they're also about 3 times larger than they used to be...

12. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    As long as the iPad uses a mobile operating system, the only advantages to it I see are a bigger screen and better system specs. Games and movies look better on it, and it'll be easier to read books, but otherwise it does the same thing as my iPhone. All of those advantages come at the cost of portability. The iPhone OS is great for a mobile platform, but for a device that is trying to market itself as bridging the gap between the iPhone and a netbook or laptop, it really limits itself.

If the iPad OS evolves into something more in line with a fully functional OS like Linux, Windows or Max OSX, then I think it'll be more useful.

13. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I don't know if I agree with that. I see both the DSi XL and the Go! having clear demographics they're targeting. The problem is they're half-assedly going after target markets that don't care (elderly gamers and gamers that want reduced functionality).

The iPad, by most accounts, doesn't click until you use one for yourself. Without having touched one, I can certainly see how it would be well-suited for certain types of games just like I can see how other experiences would be better served on the iPhone.

14. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    IT
    #74 Mr. Obvious, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Wow...all you have to do around here is say the IPod Touch is going to diminish and the claws come out. LOL

I hear what your defense is about the portability. I hear what your problem is with the price point. But I can flat out guarantee you that the IPad will attract Developers by the thousands and the IPod will be an afterthought.
    Not forgotten completely. But think about it. If you can write an app for the IPad and make 10 times the money in the same time it takes to write an IPod app..........whatcha gonna do....

You kiddies keep saying it's not about the money....but that is all I hear from you. You whine because a developer wants to finally make money off their hard work. You all cry when a game comes out that is more than two bucks. You squint real hard and talk about how its not worth the two bucks. LOL
    Have you kiddies bought a gallon of gas lately?

These developers see the IPad as a great way to finally get paid. So yes they are going to rush to develop apps. If you think it's bad for IPod now, just wait till the madness starts. Yes Yes I know...fingers in your ears.....blah blah blah....Can't hear you Mr. Obvious....blah blah..blah.

I am a gamer. All platforms. Been around for a long time. Seen the consoles try their darndest to keep up with the PC. The PC was for a certain type of gamer. Still is. I own a PC gaming machine loaded for bear. I also own a MAC Pro loaded for bear. I also own an IPod touch. Love it. I have already pre ordered my IPad. Can't wait. As soon as Apple makes the IPhone available in a CDMA form...I plan to buy one of those. OH yeah, I own a PS3 and a Wii. Don't play those much. My son does.

There is room for gaming all over the place. I am just happy the portable world is doing so well. When I sit on the beach holding my IPad and can surf the web, check my stock or play some Real Racing HD, NOVA or Uniwar. It's all good.

15. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    For starters your condesending attitude is not needed. I, like many of the posters on here, are well beyond our teens. Just because I'm adult doesn't mean that I don't place a value on my money and where I'm going to spend it.

With that said, I think you, and many developers for that matter, are wrong on the future on iPad app pricing. Prices were very similar when the app store launched for the iPhone, yet market forces drove those prices down. The same will occur with the iPad. Prices are higher now because it's a brand new product, but after the initial rush, it will just take some developers not being able to resist price drops or sales to get prices to drop. Mirror's Edge saw a price drop within the day yesterday. Once prices drop and developers realize they are selling apps for a product with a small fraction of owners compared to the iPhone/iPod Touch, things will shift back towards the mobile devices. There is no way to prevent this unless Apple imposes price minimums on apps.

Regarding the Touch, you and others claim it will be forgotten but the iPhone will remain strong. Don't you realize these go hand in hand? If the iPhone is still getting games/apps, the Touch will still be able to use them.

So rather than insults, how about actually replying to the substance. You are basing your whole arguement on the higher price for iPad apps, yet there is no way that will happen in the current app store. Care to respond?

Regarding your various PC/consoles you own, that's great. I'm happy for you. That still doesn't change the fact that the regular hardcore gamer could care less about the iPad or iPhone/iPod Touch gaming for that matter.

16. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    While I appreciate your guarantee, I don't think its worth that much. Are you offering cash payouts if you are wrong?

If developers could write an app for the IPad and make 10 times the money in the same time it takes to write an IPod app of course that's what they would do. But, there is no reason to believe that they can do that.

If there are 85 million iphones/Touches in the wild at the end of the year and 7 million iPads, you have to get a much higher market penetration in the iPad market to make as much money as you would in the larger market. Even if you could price your software higher, you would still need to sell to a higher percentage of people in order to make the same amount of money.

If all that mattered was the price you could sell for, then Ferrari would be the number one grossing car manufacturer in the world, and GM would make all their money selling solid gold Cadillacs.

Some developers will target the high end and make money selling that way, and some will target the lower end and make money that way. Its foolish to believe that one market segment will rule it all.

And most important, you are ignoring price pressure. Even if developers decide not to lower their prices, an expanding market is going to drive prices down. If all 50 developers who made $1-$3 TD games for the iPhone switch to make $5-$15 TD games for the iPad their number of sales is going to go down. Some of them are going to cut their prices to increase sales. If it works, more are going to do the same thing. The equilibrium point may not be as low as it is on the iPhone, but if the market gets flooded because all the developers are there, it is certainly going to be lower then it is now.

Keep in mind the when the App Store first opened, prices were similar to what they are now on the iPad. They didn't go down because developers got generous, they went down because developers decided they would make more money that way.

17. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    IT
    Calm down there young whippersnapper. Nobody on this side of the discussion is angry or upset. If I sound condescending to you, it might be just that I write from a matter of fact not opinion or emotion. I can see how that might come off with a little apprehension.

I only seek to state the Obvious. The IPad will have developers scrambling to write and re-write their apps to take advantage of the moment. IPod Touch will fade in that regard. There will still be apps written for the IPhone...like you agree....and the IPod will benefit from that. But as far as writing apps for the IPod in order to make all those 99 cent app lovers happy....it's going to take a back seat to the IPad for quite some time. It might even have to sit in the trunk.

Most people work for money. When they can do the same thing but make more money doing it....it's obvious they will choose to do that.
    Otherwise....it would be charity. No?

18. Daniel Novoa

Daniel Novoa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    But The developers aren't going to forget neither the itouch or the iphone, already talked to gameloft. asked if they were ditching the iphone, and they responded:

19. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    #79 txag2005, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    All those people who post about developers "finally getting paid" or who think the iPad is a gold mine don't understand economics. It will take a lot for the iPad to be the same gold mine that is the iPhone/iPod Touch market.

20. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I think if you want to take a name like Mr Obvious and talk about your theories as if they were facts, you need to understand economic forces a little more complex then just "people want money". People do want money, but markets are a bit more complicated then that.

So, your theory (if I may summarize) is that a company like Chillingo, who just past one million paid sales on their 99 cent app Angry Birds is going to decide not to do any more development of 99 cent apps because if everyone who purchases an iPad this year buys their next $5 game they will make more money that way? Doesn't that sounds silly to you?

To put it another way, while you make more money selling a $10 game then a $1 game, its easier to develop a $1 game then a $10 game, its easier to sell a $1 game then a $10 game, and most important, its easier to come up with an idea that appeals to 1% of your target audience then 20%.