Universal World to Conquer (by Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Louard, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
  2. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation on how the line of sight works. Though I would have prefered to have a line of sight (in the picture above) and just a higher chance of missing or less damage taken for target B (or even the possibly of hitting of the other units near the target). Definitely put your example in the FAQ :)

3. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Any chance of an iPad version? I don't really play much on my iPhone anymore.

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    We're cooking up the first major update - with a little luck, it may be submitted as soon as this Sunday. Tweaks to LOS for archers and wizards are definitely on the table.

5. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It's something we've talked about, though we can't commit to a date. The game's been in on-again/off-again development since before the iPad existed, so unfortunately most of the graphics aren't really iPad-ready at this time. Any interest in being an iPad beta tester? ;-)

6. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    Canada's got the right idea!

#1 New and Noteworthy App in both Strategy and Board categories in the Canadian app store!

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just started this one up and having a good time with it so far; glad to see more quality turn based strategy items on the app store.

8. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Graphics: Simple and clean. Nice hand-drawn style. The sprites have little animations when attacking.
    Some of the tiling around the outside can be a little rough. It would be nice if water tiles extended beyond your view, instead of ending abruptly in the green exterior. "Hot on the Trail" is a good example of this.

Gameplay: Solid and well balanced gameplay. It can be pretty challenging too, since missions come in sets with units that carry over between them. Sometimes it feels like that artificially expands the difficulty, but it works out as long as you're careful with your moves.

Controls: Overall pretty good. There's some awkward UI elements, mainly in navigating the missions map. Do I really need to press everything 2 or 3 times with fly-out menu buttons in order to start a stage? It doesn't hurt the game, but it doesn't work how most people would expect in the iOS environment.

Content: 21 missions, with multiple battles per mission is a decent amount of content. There's not a ton of unit variety, but enough to make strategy interesting, and they all feel unique. OpenFeint leaderboards for each mission are present, but it would be nice if there was a single board for overall score. Skirmish mode vs the AI or a friend adds a lot to extend the lifespan of the game. Online multiplayer would be ideal though.

Overall a solid turn-based strategy game. Nothing groundbreaking, but still fun. Worth a look for strategy fans.

4/5

9. Daivuk

Daivuk New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

I win?

It's big because I took the screenshot on the iPad

10. Daivuk

Daivuk New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Previous link broken, wrong dropbox folder, here it is:
    [​IMG]

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Congratulations, Daivuk!

PM Louard or myself with you email address and we'll paypal you your prize.

A small 1.2 update has been submitted with the following improvements:
    - multitasking enabled for fast app switching
    - fixed some minor graphics artifacts (i.e. the border on character portraits)
    - limited support for retina display; most assets aren't truly retina resolution, but this still improves presentation
    - better feedback for obstructed hexes

Meatier stuff slated for later updates includes online multiplayer and additional (free) expansion packs; we'll announce here when they're ready.

12. Daivuk

Daivuk New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Btw another bug. I went back in my missions to find the dragon one. Everytime i click a mission i already won, it resets it. And dots disapeared from the map or turned blue. Trying to play a previous mission shouldnt kill my progress... Only register a better score if i do it better.

13. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Yeah, right now once you restart a mission it'll won't be in the "completed" state again unless you re-complete it.

One thing I'd definitely like to do (that would have been handy in your mission-hunting expedition) is to provide a preview view of each battle as you're browsing them from the map, like we already do for single skirmish battles.

14. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I honestly bought it even before this thread came up. I saw it on Upcoming games and went to store to buy it. I was disappointed at lack of fast app switching but now with it coming, I can see myself spending a lot of time on it. It's great to have a developer that addresses these issues swiftly. I look forward to more games/updates from ya.

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Additional free expansion packs?!? Nice... thanks. Still early on but this one is definitely worth it. Glad to hear it seems the development has paid off.

16. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    As per his request, a $5 donation has been made in Daivuk's name! Mighty generous of you man!

17. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

HD Gameplay Trailer:

Part I:

Note:

First twenty Minutes of the Game (Campaign).

18. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    The World to Conquer 1.2 update is likely to be approved by Apple this weekend.
    In the meantime, here's a fun little bit - it's an "Attract Mode" easter egg, introducing some of the units.

19. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #39 Marcus70, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the update Stroffolino. Looking forwarding to testing it out.

I have a question about promo codes. I was fortunate to received a promo code for World To Conquer and I wanted to post a review on itunes on the US app store. However on itunes says, "In order to post a review, you need to have purchased or download this first." As a developer, are you aware of this possible policy change on itunes regarding promo code reviews?

20. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #40 Stroffolino, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
    Yeah, Apple appears to have changed their policy recently (with no warning to rank and file developers, as usual). There's a thread about it in the developer forum here.

This change apparently kicked in rather recently. Now that people won't be able to submit user reviews for games downloaded via promo code in the AppStore, I wonder if we'll see less developers bothering to hand them out.