Universal World to Conquer (by Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Louard, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    Update has been approved!

The 1.2 update to World To Conquer has been approved and should be hitting the app store within a day or so.
    Here's the official 'What's new' on the update:Improved presentation on retina display. Tighter line-of-sight for archers/wizards. Better feedback for obstructed shots. New skirmish battle: "The Ritual."

2. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Can you control the Dragon unit in this game?

3. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    No, the dragon is a neutral unit who finds both your and your opponent's units equally tasty ^_^

4. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    The game seems to be very good, but the price is crazy!

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A lot of turn based strategy games on iOS are priced higher but are very worth it. These have a lot more content than the average casual time waster. World to Conquer is very worth it; the price is definitely fair.

6. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    #46 blibby, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    4 bucks is more than reasonable, but unfortunately every time I buy one of these turned based strategy games it just gets ignored. I love both fantasy and military turned based strategy games, I'm just finding that these games require a gaming platform more substantial than the iPhone.

Good luck. I'd be interested in giving it a shot if they release a Mac version.

7. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #47 Stroffolino, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
    A desktop version of WTC has existed for PC & Mac for many years. Before you get your hopes up, it's a stuffit archive and requires Rosetta to run. It's also rather dated on all fronts. Nevertheless, I was able to fire it up just a few minutes ago and marvel at how much better the iOS remake is.

As far as cost goes, it's a niche game and doing just fine at its current price point - it's our second best selling title behind Card Shark.

We're working on online multiplayer support for skirmish matches now, and bantering a number of ideas for new unit types.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Stuck on battle 1 of Into The Fray, good difficulty and I'm hoping to crash through the the red zone soon.

Capital ideas! Please keep supporting with updates.

9. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Pocket Gamer WTC review

Full review here

In a bit of unrelated news, a 2.0 update has just been submitted to Apple with the following changes:
    - fixes for multitasking (now working properly)
    - fixed a UI glitch that could accidentally select "The Ritual" from the skirmish picker, depending on where you clicked
    - fixed cosmetic issue with arrow animation
    - fixed cosmetic issue with water shores near border of screen
    - fixed "Nick of Time" achievement
    - made "Rack 'em Up" achievement easier to earn
    - several achievements are now updated using OpenFeint's "percent completed" feedback
    - increased accuracy of archer and wizard shots at long range

Focus is currently on online multiplayer for WTC (and Card Shark!)

10. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    The 2.0 update is available. If anyone spots any problems with multitasking, please let me know - there were some subtle bugs that were fixed in this latest update.

I'm still neck deep getting multiplayer support hooked up - and looking forward to kicking Louard's tail long distance in head-to-head skirmish matches.

But it's also really fun to brainstorm new unit types and story ideas for the next add-on campaign.

One thing I've been thinking might be fun to do is a campaign where you play from the perspective of Dimitrius, the final boss... where you get to control him alongside his allies in a series of battles against the forces of good. Dimitrius is about as badass as they come - he could probably take out a dragon single-handedly.

For anyone that's been on the fence about picking this up, I've got a batch of promo codes for the update. Post something that looks interesting about the game here in this thread and I'll PM you a code while supplies last.

11. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    #51 Chocolate, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    Promo codes, did you say? :p

Well, I'm a bit broke right now, and I like strategy games a lot. And this looks like one of the best ones on the IOS market, so I'd love to have it. Currently working part-time and doing an unpaid internship full-time, so sadly both time and money are limited these days. But there's always a few minutes here and there for a good quality TBS game like World to Conquer.

And oh yeah... I'm interested in the game because I loved games like Tactics Ogre and Disgaea, and this reminds me of those games. I also like the graphical style being used, and I'd imagine a touchscreen interface could work well with a game like this.

So if you should feel moved to pass me a code, well, thanks Stroff! :)

12. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    To be honest, the most interesting looking thing is that the characters and the way they are drawn and their description and dialogue look like they might have personalities and that may translate to caring about them (like in Fire Emblem).

More and more TBS games are trickling in, I feel most are trying to get in before FFT hits. At this price point, polish, and having hexagonal movement/targeting, this game may end up being a bargain.

13. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Phil,
    First off, I know your games are glossy smooth to the littlest detail.
    Second, the art is just dreamy. Love the style. Well done!
    Third, turn based games of this nature are a new rhelm for me and it looks like you've done it right. The characters are identifiable and I hope the music in the vid is in the game. Great.
    Hope that puts me in line for a code. If WtC is half as good as Card Shark, I'm in for an epic treat!

14. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I certainly have to agree that the art looks like the most interesting aspect. This includes several details--characters, terrains, animations...everything looks great. I like that there seems to be a slight manga influence, but it's clearly western in its execution. You can see this in the costumes and facial details (more full facial expression compared to exaggerated eye expression).

Aside from the art, the difference in the units is interesting to me and makes me wonder what kind of tactical impact comes from it. Ninjas, samurais, and knights as well as what I think are mages make for a very intriguing combination! Here's hoping for a code to try the game out. :)

15. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    You had me at turn based - then you held me tighter with swords - and now I am in your grasp for good with sorcery!

Please release me so I can play with a promo code!!!!!

But for real - the campaign mode WITH a story WITH all these cool characters WITH awesome artwork is what is going to make this stand out!

16. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Are there plans to make this universal? This would look SICK on the ipad2 screen!:) TBS is a joy to play when you have that much real estate.
    If it does happen, I would definitely consider savegame online storage a la Aralon. It's a great way to integrate both platforms IMHO.

17. Sxethang

Sxethang Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Well as already mentioned by others, art looks great! I'm really interested in campaign mode. And seeing how there are so many different characters really has my curiosity going! I do hope that I can be chosen, so I can have a WtC!:D

18. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I was hoping for more skirmish maps in your update to 2.0, but alas you didn't add any. Are you still planning to add more in the future? :)

19. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Waiting for more impressions by promo code takers. Also chiming in on the iPad question too. I'd buy the game but I have no wish to pay for the same thing twice if I could help it.

20. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Hi Marcus,

Sorry about that - I was intending to include at least one extra skirmish with each update, but missed that with the most recent update. We've got a big pile of not-yet-included skirmish battles tucked away, but most of them are imbalanced and puzzle-like and so not really suitable for human vs. human challenges.

The big milestones on our roadmap (not necessarily in this order) are:
    1. online multiplayer
    2. a new mini-campaign
    3. in-game skirmish map editor
    4. introduction of new units