worms vs starhogs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by backtothis, Jul 13, 2009.

1. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I'm only using a first generation iPod Touch on 3.0 firmware. I don't know why it's lagging for you, though. An iPhone 3G should be faster than a first generation iPod Touch.

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I think the problem may be that the devs didn't test the game out on different devices. There's clearly a problem when you have such a wide array of performance issues and a disparity in who does and doesn't have issues.

3. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    Absolutely. I don't have an answer, I can only tell you my experience. I've been running games that are a lot more graphic-intensive than worms. Again, it's not like a 5 FPS sort of unplayable framerate... it's just noticeably choppy.

Edit: Agreed, Big Albie.

4. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I just found that the crosshair moving was very, VERY unresponsive and I would find myself jumping all of a sudden without even touching the worm. Something needs to be done with the crosshair response and the overall moving controls. Zooming in and zooming out, and scrolling through the map using two fingers, was also very laggy and unresponsive.

5. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    Same exact problems here. I can't say my worm has randomly jumped around without my help, but I found them incredibly difficult to control... when I tried to move around, my worm would begin jumping all over the place in directions I didn't think I specified, and would usually culminate in my worm ending his own life, right off a cliff.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Haha well anyways....

Starhogs is great! It has a lot of details and the upgrading system is pretty cool. I love the innovative maps that are like..uhhh not flat=round! :D

7. toiletbob

toiletbob Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I kinds like the simplified gameplay of Worms. Star Hogs does allow you to customize your team in ways that the Worms series has never touched so if depth is your thing that's your best bet.

Worms is classic though, and I've always enjoyed it gameplay, even on the iphone.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Oh and I almost forgot...

THANKS FOR WELCOMING ME INTO THE JUNGLE BIG AL.
    grr

9. hex_me

hex_me Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Estimator
    Earth
    I guess it could come down to your device, i'm running worms on the 3GS and haven't found to be as gluggy as others have described, but i am biased towards worms i grew up with it. It's probably not as good as all the hype, but im just going to have faith in updates. From all that it sounds like a quite poor. i still enjoy it.

10. Six3

Six3 Member

Gameplay vs. Graphics?

Im looking to get one of these two games, I dont think I need both... But I had a question about them first.

Does Star hogs have different backgrounds/scenery through out the missions? All the videos I see show the same rocky starfields... I also thought I saw in a Worms video that you can change the terrain, background and particle effects independently, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

11. Bucks

Bucks Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Student
    TouchArcade Supply Closet
    in this case worms would win easily

12. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    That's true. It's too bad that Worms just doesn't have any depth right now and too many performance hits and misses.

13. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm starting to wonder if Star Hogs should be compared to Pocket Tanks more than Worms. Only because it has been released at the same time are they battling out for supremacy really. PT is often likened to iShoot because of the...well...tanks! But the game play of PT is more akin to Star Hogs I find, with it's one-on-one element.

14. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Well, they all fit in the trajectory, turn-based combat category if I had to make one. I don't think it makes sense to start dissecting them by different elements because then you could technically do that with every game out there.

15. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    That's true, and it is already complicated enough to have the current Worms/SH debate as is. It was just a passing thought really....

16. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Just don't go starting new categories on me ;)

17. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Have no fear;)

18. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    I'm still wondering which one to get. i like star hogs lite but i also love worms. star hogs also has multiplayer which i love. the reviews are too mixed...:(

19. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Well, Slide to Play posted their review for Worms
    http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/worms-review

It's harsh, but I agree with the deficiencies mentioned. The game is lacking right now.

20. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    I read the review today, and it echoed a lot of my own thoughts. I think the company has the capacity to make this a hit, but it just was not ready for release. They should have strung us on a bit longer to prolong the hype, and done further testing and released it with more features, rather than have half the community here and at Slide to Play up in arms about how let down we are with the released product.

The other half, of course, are a mix of fan boys and people who legitimately haven't had issues. :rolleyes: