Worse. Review. Ever.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MrSpud, Dec 16, 2010.

1. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    you should change your sig.

corporate fury is not a device :D

2. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    lmfao. I'm surprised no1 ever mentioned it before. My sig been like that for ages =P

3. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    As cliche as it sounds, I think we're all entitled to our own opinion. Even if I agree or disagree with pocketgamer's review, I'm not going to be able to change their minds about it by complaining. So if they feel that way, it's okay with me, because I know how I feel about the game.

4. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wow. I thought I was the only who realized how bad pocket gamer is. After they called tilt to live "shallow" and gave archetype the same score as eliminate, well, I knew their reviews were crap.

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

If I can go off on a slight tangent here: there are some things I agree with in the pocket gamer review, others I don't, but what is standing out to me, is Josh's reaction to it.

Rather than defend Aralon from the slings and arrows of outrageous reviews, and taking the viewpoint of others in the thread, he's taking things away from it to make the game even better. For me, that matters most. I also think it's one of the very unique things about iOS gaming and this forum in particular. We get to interact with the devs and publishers. A lot of times they even listen to what we have to say.

A true pro can separate the wheat from the chaff in a review in order to build something stronger. When I see a dev take criticism to heart it makes me want to support them even more.

Having spent more time with Aralon, I have to say I'm enjoying it as much as any game I've played this year. Despitte some warts, Aralon has achieved something in iOS gaming that no one else has, and for that CM has to be applauded.

6. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Right so you like the game, and some review site don't like the game. I don't see what you're trying to get here? Unless the review site is saying something ridiculously stupid like Aralon is a 2D side-scrolling shooter, does everyone have to agree with your opinion? Are you that upset that someone doesn't like a game you like? Boohoo. :rolleyes:
    And I lol'd at your thread title. Specifically the first word.

7. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Full stops in the middle of sentences are. completely. unnecessary.

8. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    remind apple that =P

9. polycontrale

polycontrale Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Breaking news: Someone gets mad at a negative review.

The Pocket Gamer review might have been harsh, but it made a lot of good points. Yes, the review focused on the negatives of the game and glossed over the good points, but most of the other reviews glossed over the negatives and emphasized how much they enjoyed it anyway. I think we're also getting to the point where the games are getting better and better, and we should be a little more critical of what's coming out. If I'd reviewed it, I'd likely have put it somewhere between TA and PG. I am having fun with it, but the problems with it are definitely taking away from that.

And I agree: Scores don't mean anything. The text is what's important. Even one review is pretty worthless anyway. Multiple reviews + opinions from forum posters who have the same taste as you are all you need to decide if you're going to like a game.

10. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    yeah dudes - I know some of you guys are mad but look at it this way - some good points are made. They may have been a little harsh - but since pretty much every other review we got is outrageously glowing of the game, its good to see stuff WE ACTUALLY CAN IMPROVE.
    Probably the biggest one (I don't remember if it was in the review or not)
    those iPad menus. We just didn't have time to make all new menus - we needed it out for Christmas to sink or swim.

11. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    love how the kids are more mad about a game's review than the dev's themselves =P

12. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    No, not at all, that why I said "What do you think?"

Yeah, I know, those things happen when you learn a new language, I'm glad you find it amusing. it reminds me of the kids in school making fun of the foreign exchange student, those were the "cool" kids :cool: