Worst thing about iOS gaming.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Metalhead980, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Hmmm. Might have something there......

2. Kane2007uk

Kane2007uk Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Amusements Cashier/Security
    UK
    Having to be Jailbroken just to be able to backup my game saves and not have to rely on the flawed iTunes backup system, Apple needs to impliment some sort of system to let you send your saves to your computer when deleting a game from the device.

3. alain91

alain91 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I don’t really have the very demand of looking for the sheer number of excellent games like one hundred or two. The chance of crap, rip-off and greedy price get me down is more slight. I think the real issue is HTML5 coming to us...

4. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    As soon as appstore users will stop complaining about prices that are over one dollar, you will start seeing much more quality games and less rehashes/clones.

Until then, nothing will change.
    This is not like if some people already mentionned that reason on forums before anyway, is it ? ;-)

5. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #45 c0re, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    Ah, thanks Szczekec, those are great additions.
    If only there could be a conscience injector delivered with each "buy" button press ...

edit : here is the full article by Epic : http://www.industrygamers.com/news/epic-99-cent-apps-are-killing-us/

Now, let me quote Epic's comment once again, in bold :

What's really putting me down is that it's been ages since a lot of us devs has been saying it, begging other devs not to fall into the 99c trap. But still, it has to take a game giant to say it for them to believe it :/

Anyway, I understand they're talking about console games here. But still, if you want AAA games on iOS, you have to bait for AAA game makers to try their chance. And it's not 1 dollar price tags that will cover AAA production costs, especially in a world where mobile graphics become more and more on par with console graphics.

if you're afraid that your app won't sell at a higher price, wouldn't it be better for gamers to just work longer on it, instead of turning it cheaper ?

6. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Nope; not buying it. That's inventing parallels that really aren't there.

2011 is not 1983. Just about every single aspect of the games industry has changed significantly between those two years. Off the top of my head, I could list distribution, production, marketing, and advertising, not to mention how drastically the games themselves have changed from a physical standpoint. The rise of the cheap and easy internet has also changed just about every aspect of American life (I can't speak for any other countries), including the creation of an increasingly informed base of consumers.

There were lots of reasons behind the crash of console gaming in the '80s; it's silly to point to "tons of games" as being the sole cause, and sillier still to somehow extrapolate from that a nightmare scenario that causes an eventual App Store crash, just because the App Store has "tons of games." In many ways, the two eras are apples and oranges (yuk-yuk, get it? "Apples"? No?).

Entire books have been written about this subject; I'd suggest the ding-dong who wrote that post you quoted investigate at least one of them.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    THIS. It costs barely anything to distribute digitally, compared to what would have been very costly gas/transportation/distribution/licensing for shovelware in 1983. There's just no way you can compare the two because technology has advanced to the point where it is significantly cheaper for people to distribute digitally than physically.

8. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    But games production cost were 100 times smaller in 1983 :)

9. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    It's pretty simple

Back in the old days or even now with consoles, large developers made games. Programmers introduced ideas to console-game-makers and those ideas were either implemented or turned down due to similarities of other titles. The quality control between console-maker and developer was tight, and even then there was the usual crap.

Now there is practically no quality control for comparable titles. The only requirement is that it works, and of course doesn't imitate the basic iOS functions. Everyone with an idea and $100 can make a game, and they are.

The solution would be to segregate the quality software with a premium-app-store/Indie-app-store. Blocking indie-apps from having a chance isn't proper, but providing an alternative for the typical flea market that is the app store would be well received. What determines Premium from not would be determined by apple staff.

You have to be honest though, it is exciting to find a diamond in the rough. Much more than just getting what EA and GAMELOFT give us.