iPhone wwTouch, turn strategy. FIRST PREVIEW

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FrozenPepper, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    If the amount of money to be made from commissions on the store is very small compared to the amount of money the overall business is worth to them, then it is counterproductive for them to structure the store in a way that degrades the user experience and empowers competitors, even if it gains them a (very small) amount of extra money in the short term. I just don't think they are that dumb. They wouldn't have these app store restrictions if they didn't think it would give people an overall better user experience and lead in the long run to more usage and more sales.

Why are they launching iAds? Primarily to help app publishers make more money while providing a decent user experience, so that more people will write better apps for iOS so Apple will sell more devices. This motivation is pretty clearcut and doesn't require any zero-sum thinking (Apple is doing things to help Apple and Apple users, not to "stick it to Google").

The empirical evidence suggests that strategy has worked pretty well. Perhaps Android will do better (I hope so, because I'm a Google shareholder). But I think the Android supporters/Apple opponents fail to recognize some of the advantages of Apple's strategy.