Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    See, this is why I repeated this, like, 4 posts ago or something:

2. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Sorry I missed that. Either way, I'm more than ok with paying 19.99. The game is huge and I can't imagine that big of a chunk is missing from it

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's true enough. The "reveal" on the zombified enemy in the tutorial, for example, is absolutely laughable when the lack of lighting means that his true nature is clearly visible from the outset instead of being obscured by shadow as in the original version.

This is made even more unintentionally comedic when the cutscene shows the player walking up and slowly tilting the lamp towards him before responding in shock, which makes no sense whatsoever if you weren't already aware that you weren't actually supposed to be able to see his face before that point.

On top of that, the sectoid "secretly" controlling him is lit up like a rather conspicuous Christmas tree that the player character mysteriously can't see, which again makes more sense in the original because there the alien was almost fully in darkness, with only intermittent flashes of lightning from the storm revealing it in more detail (the iOS version is missing the weather effects entirely).

While this kind of cosmetic issue won't affect the core mechanics or content of the game, it does work against the narrative, which is unfortunate in this particular game.

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The last report I read on the matter said that only two maps had been removed, so we'll see if that was accurate.

5. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Fortunately it doesn't take a majority to make something a success, just need a critical mass of "true" gamers looking to pay for top shelf gaming. There's at least 100 million devices out there that can run this game, if just 0.5%, a statistical nobody, of them drop the $20, that's a cool 7 million+ for the developers to port an existing title, and I reckon break even point is considerably lower.

I'll be doing my part, squeezed enough iTunes cards in with the groceries this past week that my wife won't see the big bank account transfer to iTunes, and freed up over 10GB on my device.

6. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    What ever it is "technically" or not..I want and will buy it and I know I'll enjoy the heck out of it..

(Applauds at mr. Jake Solomon):Your efforts and vision are deeply appreciated..

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Local app store is down! Waiting for it to come back up...with xcom available!

8. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    In all honesty, and I'm being completely honest, if a game comes out on consoles/handhelds/iOS that I'm mildly interested in but don't want to pay full price... I have no issue waiting for it to drop. I think it would be pretty rare to find someone that didn't take advantage of a sale price or even free deal. GTA games have gone $0.99, some of 2K's other games have gone to $0.99. Sega's too... and even within 2 months from launching. $60 console games eventually hit the $10 bargain bin... I don't have an issue picking up something later... even years later... it's not like I'm ever without a massive backlog of games to play.

It's fully in the publishers hands what the pricing is going to be on a game and how to take advantage of the market during the life cycle of a game. Even Square has had some pretty solid sales with some games hitting $0.99.

Whatever the case, I'd be more interested in this if it was a port of the first game or something. Sprites and a smaller file size would have been heavenly. Still, I'll see what everyone thinks of this. Often new releases need tweaks anyway and I'm not one to pay to beta test.

9. CosmosMan

CosmosMan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Researcher/Teacher/Scientist
    Canada
    What is this running on?

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Now that's what I call a healthy marriage.

11. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    aaaaand downloading...

12. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Just WOOOW!!!

I don't know how to free 3,23 Gb space on my 16Gb device but i think for this one i'll be forced in a way or another...damn Gb cool games, you're literally pushing me to own an ipad 64Gb!

This game looks terrific!!

13. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    TouchArcade review is out. Front page, 5 Stars.

14. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    lol! So I'm not the only one who does that?! Funny how we grow old but we are still kids inside. Honey, can I buy x-com? Please, please, please!!! :eek:

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    TA already reviewed and gave it 5-stars.

Gawd i cant wait for this to show up on the PH appstore!

16. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

No I know it's there I just ment it's about 35+ hours even before playing on ironman classic and marathon modes

17. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Syncing! this is taking reeeeaaaaally long.

18. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    it's out! just done downloading. now syncing. used the link on the 1st page of this thread

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Edit : deleted.

20. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Does it supports iCloud sync between iPad and iPhone?