XCOM: Enemy Unknown (by Firaxis)[Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    +1000 to this..With the advent of iOS 7,we might see this change..For my understanding that's the whole reason they have reduce things in the first place..The maximum filesize on what they can put to the AppStore is very limited..But there are such a thing as updates,hehe:D..

Plus WE ARE GETTING THE MULTIPLAYER FOR FREE,which is a fantastic news..

2. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    The gameplay video looks awesome.

3. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

5. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Ew. Yup, count me out on this one. I'm not paying $20 for any iOS game, let alone one that is a genre that I suck majorly at. It is a much better fit for iOS than other console games of this generation, though, and so far it does look impressive here. I respect that, and I'm glad for people that are finally getting their iOS version! :D

Me as well! Despite not liking this genre much, and sucking at it so much, of course I'll take advantage of downloading it for free. I mean, come on! It's FREE! And one of the highest-rated games last year. :)

New idea: I will buy this on iPad if I fall in love with it on PS3. But that's very... unlikely from what I've seen. I hated the demo :(

6. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I'm way too excited for this. Ive realized over the last year or so, that strategy games really shine on touch screens. Card and Turn-based specifically are especially great on iPad. This is the perfect game to port. I always planned on getting it on Xbox but never had time.

I know the comments about less maps is a bit of a concern, but I don't think it's going to be of much concern once you are turning alien heads into a red chunk mist from a sniper rifle. This could change the game, lets get fired up!

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Done :)

I genuinely hope this is a game changer and gets supported (by the gaming community) well.
    Its success will set us up nicely for a lot more quality on iOS.
    Really, really hoping it does very well.
    As much for the developer brave enough to make a jump like this with such a recent game but also I just want to see more of the same on iOS.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I seriously want to see XCOM up there in the Top 10 paid apps. Seriously...talk about potentially restoring faith in humanity.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can't say for sure I'll dump £13.99 down for it straight away. That's almost what I paid for the PS3 version, but with less content and generally being toned down somewhat. So considering I already own a technically superior version of the game, I'd have to say £9.99 is the price I'd be happier with.

10. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I seriously want to see this on the top grossing chart on the 3rd or 4th slot...Like what KOTOR did or even higher if possible...To me that's a more important statement/message..

11. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    ""XCOM: Enemy Unknown lead designer Jake Solomon explains, making it fit on iOS meant "down-rezzing" the textures and "cutting the map count... quite a bit".

I notice many peeps are more than happy to pay £13.99 $19.99 for a console conversion but if the graphics are toned down and the map count cut, is it a console quality game??

What's the difference between this and an ios version of FIFA? Which is also based on the console game but is far cheaper in comparison.

This feels a bit like your paying half price for a cut down game not a full console conversion

12. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Would be nice if they let you download the missing maps as free dlc, in the veins of walking dead where the app itself is small but you can potentially download a ton more stuff to it. But if they didn't already make the game with those plans then never mind.

13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#213 killercow, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    It's something that they want to do with the dlc maps at least.

14. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    FIFA has a completely different engine. It's a different game compare to PS3/360 versions. It's based on the PSP version.

XCOM is the PS3/360 game in all it's gameplay glory, but with reduced graphical quality.

15. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Difference is EA are a monster company who have the resources to pull anything across to ios that they wish. They are rich enough to undercut prices and from now on will be going with FTP models.

The devs had to do a fair bit of tweaking to xcom to get it ios ready. They have flatly ruled out IAPs so to make it worth their while they are charging $20.

This is about good devs choosing traditional pricing models to make their IPs work on ios. The few guys that have consoles and can play the full version then power to you. Just try to remember next time you are wishing for ports and slamming F2P models that you had a chance to send a message to the industry with xcom.

This is a $20 investment

16. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    ahhh, no. FIFA wasn't even close to the console version, and it had its own engine and different set of features. The gameplay experience of the game is completely different from the console.

With XCOM, this is the EXACT game from the console version, brought up to iOS. But had to down res the textures and remove a few maps to compile with iOS devices and follow the guidelines in the App Store. And they could potentially bring up more maps with free DLC.

Afterall, you will get the same experience playing XCOM on your iOS device as you would on PS3/Xbox360/PC, at least that's what Firaxis is claiming. We'll see on Thursday! ;)

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...and with a bit less gameplay.

18. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry if its been answered but, what is the filesize of this? Not that it matters, ill delete KOTOR to make room for this if needed.

19. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    No info yet on that matter..

20. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Already bought 25$ gift card
    Now just wait for the countdown :D
    And freeing some space on ipad