Universal Year Walk - (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Crzychkn

Crzychkn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Utah, USA
    I bought it hoping my wife and I could AirPlay through the game together. She went to bed however, so I put in headphones and ran through the entire game and companion app.

Incredible. I'm telling everyone I know to get this. Just incredible.

2. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    I can't stop thinking about this game.
    And I can't quite let myself believe that everything has been solved.
    Spoilers follow.

Firstly, I think I figured out the story - at least for the first run-through. What no one seems to mention is that one of the Mylings can be found at the mill. This leads me to believe that it was Stina's child. Possibly even Stina's child with Daniel. So, maybe she becomes pregnant with Daniel's child, and because of this pregnancy Lucas will no longer marry her. Presumably her father will not let her marry Daniel. So her life is ruined. As a result she murders her own child, which is what finally causes Daniel to murder her - which would explain why she is killed months after his year walk. Now that I type this out, it's not as complete as I thought. What do you guys think?

There is another thing that hasn't been talked about, as far as I can see, and that is the cellar. In the cellar we find the symbols of the huldra, myling, and the night raven, but not the brook horse. Obviously the corresponding dots are for the gravestones to enter the church. I correctly guessed the brook horses number of dots, but how did everyone else get that?
    Additionally, there are three symbols in the cellar that I haven't seen anywhere else. Their dot numbers are 5, 1, and 6. Why would simogo include these? Theodore wonders if there are other watchers that he doesn't know about...could these three symbols represent three other watchers?

I feel like there are still too many things floating around for this to be the end.
    Is anyone else still curious?

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I believe the woman who drowned the babies drowned four of them, so while that myling's location might have the significance you suggest, that would simply mean that Stina hadn't actually killed the baby, but had thought it had just been taken away where, unbeknownst to her, it was drowned. Then again, the mylings are part of the watchers, so perhaps that one was just portending Stina's fate and it had nothing to do with being her child. I do like your idea better though. Of course, that would mean that that myling is from the future.

That said, if Daniel was actually going to murder Stina for whatever reason, I don't think he actually would be apt to save her, knowing he'd have SOME reason to murder her later. I think it's more that the whole time continuum balance made him do it somehow because he year walked or even just was about to year walk. Hence why his only solution is to kill himself rather than just decide that he won't kill her. I think the note in the box said something to that effect.

4. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    That's a good point. Maybe Stina gave up the baby, and the woman who took it drowned it with the others. Perhaps that's the woman we briefly see sitting on the wagon...?

I wish I wasn't late to the show here. Seems like everyone has given up on looking for more.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Trust me, there is no more.

Just one thing for you to think about: have you asked yourselves why Daniel knew the right symbols to open the box before the second ending? And why was his knife given to him? He must have had it before ending one. If not, how could he murder Stina? And why was Stina already laying on the ground, bleeding, as we found her?

;)

6. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    I just assumed Daniel was given the symbol order by the watchers, much like Theodore was. He didn't need the knife on the night of the year walk, because Stina is killed months after the year walk. Plus, maybe it's not his knife, but instead a knife for him to use. It has his initials, but also the grim church symbol - why would he put that on his knife? Maybe the watchers are providing this knife.

That's a bummer if there really is no more. Not that I don't think this game is amazing, but did simogo really just severely underestimate everyone?

What really confuses me are the three symbols found in the cellar - the ones that don't exist anywhere else. Are those really there just to screw with us?

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #527 Vovin, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

There are a lot of games which set you on the wrong track sometimes.

Mmmmmmh... ok... and why do you think that Daniel would wait several months to kill Stina? He learned the terrible truth on New Year's Eve, after all.
    Wouldn't it be more reasonable if he killed her immediately, in blind rage?
    He's a guy, deeply in love - and not a killer with an extraordinary sense of patience.

What do you think?
    Almsten knew the answer, I assume.

8. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    This is what keeps me going...

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

And what about the 5 symbols at the end of Theodor Almsten's letter to Daniel?

10. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    I can't tell if you are suggesting that I'm missing something (which is likely), or that these plot holes can't be resolved. Does the whole thing feel complete to you? It doesn't feel complete to me.

I don't know why Daniel would wait months to kill her, but I suspect it has something to do with the myling that is found at the mill. Maybe that is a smaller future glimpse...Stina screaming, a dead baby? That can't be a coincidence.

11. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Right? Can't we assume that they represent other watchers?

12. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    He learned that he would kill her, not precisely why. Personally, I don't think just knowing that they'd kill someone would drive them to hurry up and do it, especially since the timing of it is part of the fate aspect of it.

13. cosmic68

cosmic68 Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Inneresting....

There were updates to both game and companion today....

14. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    This game is beautiful but I don't like the shaky cam. Makes me rather nauseous and distracts from the beautiful Visuals. Any plans to have an option to turn that off?

15. KuangEleven

KuangEleven Active Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Just bugfixes and a minor text error corrected according to their Twitter. They were very specific, presumably because they knew people would think something might be going on otherwise :)

16. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Yeah, this game is really really awesome. But sadly I can barely look at it because it makes me nauseous. I want to stare into the backgrounds but my eyes just can't focus. I understand the reasoning behind the effects that it would be nice to be able to turn them off for people that are sensitive to it. Jittery cameras and flashing lights don't need to be relied on here. The game is good enough as it is.

Devs reading this?

17. brittspace

brittspace Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Really curious. Are the devs planing any major updates to the story, or will jt be a sequal if anything.

Since I've *completely* beaten the game should I delete it from my device?

18. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Looks that way. :/

19. Heavnsix

Heavnsix Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Ok guys j need some help here. I never play puzzle games and this is has me stumped right off the bat. I can't figure out what exactly the game wants me to do. I literally can't make sense of any of these puzzles. I've already me the huldra, looked at the thumbprint stone and I looked up the solution to the owl
    Puzzle online because I literally had clue as to where to go next. So im inside the tree now and all these sounds sound the same- well not the same, but I can't differentiate between them well enough to figure out any kind of pattern. I guess I really
    Just need help figuring out how to think about this game to solve the puzzles, because what I'm doing ain't working

20. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Just listen for the one that seems to be the best, the off-key sings are wrong.
    when you select the correct path, it makes a 'correct' sound. Learn how many times you have to go left/right to get to the correct path because its the same everything it resets when you get one wrong. There are about 7-8 paths to go, and it takes a while but once you learn which paths to go through its really easy