Your fav procedurally generated games (including roguelikes/rogue-lites)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Jan 8, 2014.

1. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I'd still go for Pocket RPG though as it meets you're criteria. That said, it does get stale after a time. Still good for short mindless bursts though.

XCOM also has randomly generated levels if I'm not mistaken.

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #42 Jorlen, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Pocket RPG is on the list. It also gets my recommendation, played it for about 10 hours and had a blast.

Xcom EU doesn't have random maps, but the enemy placement is. Here's a excerpt, "The layouts themselves are hand-crafted, but we have a huge [selection]. You could not play through a complete game twice and see the same level. They're hand-crafted, but what happens on those missions – what mission type it is, what aliens appear, where they appear – that's all procedural."

Also - just added GUNSLUGS, never saw this one before.

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I've had Pocket RPG on my wish list for two years now... I'm still super curious but I've somehow never picked it up.

Also curious about Gunslugs. This is a great thread.

4. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Best comparison I can think of for Pocket RPG is Solomon's Keep, except that Pocket RPG has more structure. However, a lot of it is the same; you go from area to area, killing, leveling up and getting better items. Each "quest" you do takes about 30 minutes and then your gear resets, but all the unlocks stay. DOn't let this bother you though, it's part of the game mechanics and works really well.

Pocket RPG has my full recommendation and easily made its $5 worth long ago and I will definitely replay it. Each class adds its own spin, and the levels are random.

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Gunslugs or Heroes of Loot? Can't decide between the two

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I prefer Gunslugs because the Heroes of Loot aiming feels too automated for me. Gunslugs isn't much of a roguelike.

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Thanks for the breakdown man. I'm not much into spam-fest fighting, but I love roguelikes and RPG's. The gear reset doesn't bother me, especially if there some are permanent unlock mechanics. :cool:

8. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I didn't see it mentioned, and the game tries to hide it's core, but A Dark Room ends up being an ASCII RL, sort of, you don't exactly have perma-death and play a whole community but not like dwarf fortress either.

I'd love to see Doom RL or liberal crime squad on iOS.

9. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    it must be said that Pocket RPG, having no story or (permanent) leveling to speak of, ends quite abruptly and unceremoniously... the only sense of progression is with the skills and weapons you unlock but that sometimes feel rather bland as well. Then again, its still mindless fun...

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Added Devious Dungeons, since it has randomized levels.

Any other recent releases with random levels I may have missed? If so, lemme know and I'll add to the list.

11. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Does Out There count?

You have Hoplite listed twice.

The bosses in Starborn Anarkist are not procedurally generated - they're the same every time.

Thanks for the thread!

12. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Haven't played Out there. But isn't it more of an interactive adventure book style game? Does it have "levels" per se?

I've corrected the duplicate of hoplite. So Starborn Anarkist - never played it either (someone else provided the description) - is there anything random about it at all or should I remove it?

13. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Out There has roguelike elements, along with interactive adventure elements. You make decisions but they're not at the same time / in the same place / in the same situation each time like a CYOA game book would be.

In Starborn Anarkist you collect loot, strategically design your ship with said loot, and fight waves of randomized enemies, but the bosses are not randomized. There aren't "levels" but waves of enemies interspersed with boss encounters.

Edit: sorry for the delayed response, I thought I subscribed to the thread but it doesn't look like it worked.

14. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    #54 expleo, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    An Ipad game comming this Thursday is 'Lich tower of Doom RPG'. I am pretty confident there are no other roguelike on this planet with the same amount of big pixeled sprites and hero animations.

Anyway, roguelike with boardgamelike-elements. Defeat 3 of the 6 dungeons to gain access to the 7'th: the tower where the Lich itself holds residence.

Be warned though.. any attempts will most likely end in players death.

15. codeb0t

codeb0t Active Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Rogue. Ro - gue. Not rouge. This is misspelled in your post, in your signature, and in your YouTube video.

16. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Lol, at least it is consistant. well, a bit funny and a bit emberasing. Fixing the signature, will look at the video. The post (at least in headings) I cannont change. Thanks for pointing out, guess its one of those things you just go blind on.

17. codeb0t

codeb0t Active Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Oh, it's a very common mistake, but I thought I should point it out in this case as you are trying to sell an app.

18. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Yep, appreciated. Video and signature fixed, better check the itunes descript as well.

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #59 Jorlen, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Sorry Expleo, I have been neglecting this thread. I'll check it more often! Edit: I subscribed to it with e-mail notifications so I won't miss posts any longer.

Anyways I added your game and a whole bunch more that I've either seen or personally played as of late.

20. Empfmil

Empfmil Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    For me Wayward Souls is the definitive roguelike/procedurally generated game.