Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Deathsmile seems not working since last ios update/release? Am i the only one?

2. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Nope. It immediately crashes when I tried to open it. Hopefully they fix it....I'm not holding my breath though.

It irks the crap out if me that developers and companies abandon their games....The Atari Greatest Hits app is also broken on iOS 8.

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Best Cave shmup

I don't have any cave SHMUPS and I'm trying to find one that is also good for beginners. Any suggestions?

4. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I need a suggestion by the end of the night because the person getting it for me is leaving tonight. So any suggestions as soon as possible would be great.:D
    Sorry for sounding like an jerk.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My favorite is still Deathsmiles, but it's iphone-only. I have temporarily deleted this coz of that, so check first if it works on iOS8 coz i havent played it for a while.

I also like the Dodonpachi Maximum (that said, i dont have Dodonpachi Ressurection to make a comparison)

There are lite versions for most of them, why not try each one?

6. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Omg! I didn't even think to check for lite versions! Thank you so much!!

7. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    You can't go wrong with Dodonpachi Ressurection. That's the one I'd go with. :D

8. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #88 sinagog, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    I've only played a couple, but from what I hear Deathsmiles is considered one of the less hardcore Cave games. I like that it doesn't require building up huge chains (that sort of gameplay can bug me, probably because I'm so sloppy and inconsistent). Also think I'm a fan of the horizontal perspective, probably because I grew up platforming. It was OK on my ipad, though it is confined to an eensy weensy box. I think it's got a little box on the iphone version, too, so it could be worse.

I may look into Espgaluda II, as it offers infinite continues, so I can just roll through it without worrying about high scores (I know, I'm a soft-serve shooter fan). Bug Panic ditches the automatic side-scrolling aspect and lets you roll through the level at your own pace, so that's another one that looks like it's for me (loving Twin Stick Shooters doesn't hurt).

I got Dodonpachi Resurrection and it's, from what I hear, maybe one of the more difficult Cave bullet hells? I'm so not good at the give the bullets a little peck on the cheek but no tongue scoring system. Maybe not for beginners, though the hardcoreness of Cave shooters seems to be what attracts them to most. I just like the splosions and colours mostly. And a bit of challenge, but not too, too, too much.

9. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    They are all fantastic, so you can't really go wrong with any of them. Best idea is probably to try the lite versions and go with whichever you find the most interesting.

If I was to recommend something for beginners or new to bullet hell games I would probably say any of the Bug Princess games or DoDonPachi Maximum. They don't have as complex scoring systems as some of the other games and these just seem to be more accessible for someone new to bullet hell games.

On topic of this thread, I just attempted to list them in order of my favorite. I found it almost impossible to put one above the other because they are all so good. Here is what I came up with:

1. DoDonPachi Blissful Death
    2. Espgaluda II
    3. Bug Princess 2
    4. Deathsmiles
    5. Bug Princess
    6. DoDonPachi Maximum
    7. Mushihimesama Bug Panic

I put them in order but really the difference of my enjoyment between them all is so small that for me basically all of the above are tied for first place.

8. DoDonPachi Resurrection

For me DDP Resurrection is far below the rest. I just never got hooked on this one, I played it several times during the week I first purchased this, but since then I never seem to come back to play this one. All the other Cave games I continually return to even years later. DDP R just seemed to me like mindless blasting and that it doesn't have the depth of all the other Cave games. Still fun though.

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I've recently purchased the cave shmups. My favorite so far is DoDonpachi Resurrection. I did not like Blissfull death because it has IAP.