Universal Zaga 33 - by Michael Brough (Sci-Fi Roguelike)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by magihiro, Apr 24, 2012.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I just rediscovered this gem after getting hooked so hard on 868-Hack. Sure this is a bit lighter with a lot of luck, but you can really see some of the common threads between Z33 and 868H!

I think I actually like some aspects of this one better (dang tough but don't need to worry if you can afford to use a skill and I love the needing to rediscover artifacts' use each game like Rogue).

2. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Agreed--great game in both style (including audio) and play. Can't put my finger on it, but it works for me! I still play it every now and then, even though my luck seems to have nosedived! I actually won the game a couple times in the first few days I had it... but seldom since. Fun regardless, and doesn't ask for much of my time if I lose.

Have to try 686-Hack soon.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This or 868? Or both?

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Haha, though I haven't bought this one yet (I know whats wrong with me) watching it on the stream, it reminds me a lot of 868. 868 is different in ways but I'd say buy Zaga first since it's $.99 and see how you like it. If you do, definitely get 868Hack. I'm a big fan of Hack - offers plenty for lots of replay. I'm sure both are good RL investments. :)

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Sounds like a good plan, it's pretty impossible to say no for only 99c

6. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I found 868 HACK pretty hard to get into at first: a low but steep "learning wall" where I didn't grasp how a person could ever survive past the 2nd or 3rd screen. I just don't "think" the way it "thinks" I suppose. It didn't click.

Whereas Zaga made sense very quickly. It's the simpler of the two, and lacks depth, but as a result, I think it "gets fun" quicker.

Plus it doesn't hurt that I beat it on about the second play :) But it's NOT that easy, I just lucked out. I lose much more often than I win.

(I've heard people say 868-HACK is easier, but not for me.)

7. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

868-Hack is really easy if you don't go for score. The most important program for me was .reset, which allows you to heal. Once you also understand that you can 'mine' resources out of squares that don't cause any enemies to spawn, it becomes fairly trivial to win. Unlike many psuedo-roguelikes, 868-Hack isn't really about winning, but getting high scores/repeat wins. Winning with a score of 0 (which is usually how I play) isn't too hard.

I preferred 868-Hack to Zaga, although to be fair, I haven't played Zaga that much. I really liked that winning unlocks new programs (abilities) in 868-Hack, which make the game more complex horizontally.

8. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm pretty sure I'll end up preferring the deeper 868-HACK (it's on my home screen so I remember to get back to it). Zaga-33 just happened to hit me as fun really quickly.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Just got the new update but still am getting crashes on my iPad Air, iOS 8.1.

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woohoo!!! I've been hoping this would get an update! Sorry it doesn't work on iOS 8... I'm still on 7 because of the controller issues, but hopefully it'll get fixed quick. Great dev support here. =oD

Love it... And with Helix I've been in a total Brough mood lately.

So yuppa, THANK YOU Mr. Brough!!!

Wonder if Glitch Tank's gonna get updated too? Anyone know?

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It's been crashing for me too.

12. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #52 sinagog, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Love this. The thread bump convinced me to take it off my wishlist (wishing that I can buy a 99c game is a pretty low-rent wish). I mostly find that it's the games that initially leave me so confused that I wonder why I wasted my moolah on this which end up being permanent favourites. The real hardcore Rogue experience is too much for me- I hate going back to basics and starting over after my inevitable crash- but this bite-size version I can dig. Level 25, I'm coming for ya!

Great write-up on the game by Brough here, by the way: http://mightyvision.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/zaga-33-assorted-comments.html

Eta: Woah, anyone else found the secret warpgate to level 26?

13. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    sorry i missed something, guess i'll have to do another update soon

14. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    If it's any help, the crashes occur during use of an artifact. It's not specific to one artifact though.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, I think that would correlate with my crashes, good find.

16. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Same here since I updated to iOS 8 app has been pretty unstable

17. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Thought I'd crack open some Brough today for lent and opened this one up again. Quite a lot of crashes though. Not a big deal at all, played the heck out of it on long train journeys in the past - just fancied playing it all over again.

18. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    Yeah I've spent a while trying to track this down. I haven't been able to get the usual ios debugging tools working on it anymore (possibly because it's using old versions of some libraries? I don't know) so I can't get hold of what line it's crashing on.. without that and without any consistent pattern to the crashes it's turning out really hard to find the problem. I'll have another stab at it later, I really want to get it fixed, but honestly right now I have to prioritise making new games because 1) constantly fixing old things is super depressing for me and 2) I need new things to make money.

I'm sorry =[

I will fix it one day

19. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Perfectly understandable, looking forward to your next projects.

20. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Hi Michael,

Good to hear that you're going to fix it when you have time.
    I bought it last year with all your other games. :) And they are all fantastic!!!

I know it's a pain to update all these games, especially when you're alone.

I hope that you will make some new iOS games too!? That would be great!

P.S. I've read at Twitter that Helix didn't sell that good, so that you won't bring it to other platforms. That's really a shame! It should've sold more copies.
    Helix is one of my favorite iOS games ever. Every platform should have their Helix. ;)

So thanks for your brilliant work on all these games & much success for the future!