Universal Zombies!!! - (by babaroga, llc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MrMojoRisin, Jul 11, 2013.

1. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    The tutorial is rubbish. But in my case that was a good thing as I already knew the rules. It's forced upon you, but it's extremely quick. It gives you an extremely abridged version of the game and shows you how to accomplish the "main objective" (it doesn't even mention the whole killing 25 zombies victory rule). However, it's a pretty easy game to figure out considering like was already stated about not needing to worry about doors, or where to place tokens (there's an automatic placement button) so it's not really a big deal. There is a manual on the main screen that is a quick read.

Also @funkyflychicken, I agree that they should allow customization/flexibility with the rules. Especially since the original board game ENCOURAGES fiddling with the ruleset.

I fricking hope that they add on expansions. I have wet dreams just thinking of the possibility of them incorporating HUMANS!!! with this app as a standalone game or a combination of the two.

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, does it at least include a full copy of the rules? I'm sick of buying complex games for which the developer feels no need to include instructions. You can include a .PDF as part of an app package...geez.

3. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    To play and to enjoy. That's the point. It's a game.... You play games.

Unless you mean the point of The word this, and I would have to say its probably the dot above the lower case i.

4. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    As a Thank You for all the awesome music apps you post, I just checked.
    There is an easy to read and understand eight page tutorial, an option to see and read up on all cards of the game and an ingame tutorial that walks you through your first game.

I never played the board game before and rarely play board games in general, but I had no problems at all to get it.
    And I usually feel overwhelmed when I try out iOS board games.
    Hope that helps ;)

5. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Haha. No I meant like a basic guideline to how the game is played. However, I thank you for your in depth analysis. Very creative.

6. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    If you REALLY need it, a full .pdf of the board game rules can be found at Twilight Creations website. But you won't need it. The game is very straight forward.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    There is an eight-page manual and an in-game tutorial, not to mention that this game is anything but complex.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jeez, they are taking all of my favorite boardgames and making them into app form aren't they! I had no idea that this was "that" Zombies! And dismissed it as another game... Glad I dropped in the thread to find it was the boardgame! I have to download this to add to my collection of digital boardgames!

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Don't worry, itt is a very easy game, this is a pick up and play game in which the rules can be explained in about a minute. Games like Munchkin and Fluxx are more complex in comparison, but that doesn't mean that the game is not fun.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #50 MrMojoRisin, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    In a nutshell (or a shotgun shell, in this game's case), you and up to four other players (or AI's) take turns placing town space tiles, moving, and fighting zombies. There are street tiles and building tiles. The building tiles have a number of heart and bullet tokens that are placed as soon as the tile is revealed, and most tiles have you place a given number of zombies on it.

After you draw and place a tile, you roll the blue die and can move up to that many spaces on the board. When you move onto a heart or bullet, you pick it up. When you move onto a zombie (or start your turn on one) you have to fight it. Roll a six sided die, and on a 4-6 you kill it. If you roll under a 4, you can spend bullets to add +1 to your roll per bullet, or hearts to reroll. If you can't do either, you are killed and lose all your cards and half your zombie kills, and start back at the center tile that everyone started the game on.

Somewhere near the bottom (or the center if using the "Quick Rules") of the stack of town tiles is the Helipad tile. Once that tile is revealed and placed, whoever makes it to the center square of that tile first (and kills the zombie there if there is one) wins the game. You can also win by getting 25 zombie kills.

There are a few other things to note, like there are cards that you get that can have different game effects and boosts, or things that mess with the other players. One type of card is the item card, which will list a building that you have to play it in and then an effect that it gives you once you activate it (you don't have to activate it right when you play it in the appropriate building.) Also, at the end of your turn, you roll the red die and move that many zombies one space in any available direction.

11. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Any more impressions of this game?
    I was following this one because it looks like it has potential. Funny, it seems like it has died down after the world wide launch.
    From what I've seen, the windows version that was released a while back was well received, but I haven't seen any reviews about iphone version yet.

I am hoping that this game doesn't get buried under all the midnight releases.

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

How the crap did I miss this?

I remember loving seeing this on Tabletop and how badly I wanted this in iOS format

I've got it now! Huzzah! Now, if I can just convince my family to play with me.

It's got a very munchkin vibe in relation to destroying your opponent, and apparently the AI is fair, which I'm happy with as well.

13. andsoitgoes

I did too. And while I love supporting makers of board games, Knowing I could have saved the equivalent of a Frederick Hamilton-Obama in the US (and I'm a US expat, too, so I'm terribly embarrassed that I can't remember who is on the $5 bill in the US OR Canada) is still a bit grating.

Holy crapsnacks, does anyone see that it will work on iOS 4.3? That's pretty nice for those still running old hardware.

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The reduced discussion after worldwide release is interesting but might be due to the difference in price points. I've been trying to decide on Zombies!!! because it looks awesome but is a bit too expensive for me to just blind buy right now. It was free for eligible countries during the soft launch so I imagine easily snatched up by anyone interested. I want developers to recoup expenses and reap warranted profit but wish there was a trial edition avaliable before taking the plundge.

15. andsoitgoes

#55 andsoitgoes, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    Oops. I was thinking of "Last Night on Earth" which was featured on Tabletop, it had a very similar vibe.

Here's hoping it doesn't suck.

16. andsoitgoes

Is this not retina or something? It looks blurry as all get out.

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm on iPad4 and it doesn't look retina to me, it doesn't look bad though and considering its a board game it doesn't really bother me.
    Here's a pic from my iPad.

Attached Files:

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Nope. As I noted way back on the first page:

I can live with the 3D models as they are, although I'd prefer them to be brought in line with modern expectations, but the text really does need to be cleaned up so that it isn't as blurry.

19. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Okey, thanks you for your information.

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Huh?
    It's world wide right now.