Universal Zombies. - (by bignic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 17, 2012.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Watching Sanuku's video. Did he just beat the crap out of a coat tree?

Bought!

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Couldnt play it until now... And its wonderful, nice zombie killing time, great dialogues with full voice and Sanuku is right, great soundtrack. Btw, game could use leaderboards and achievements in GameCenter, as for the dpads, I find them good. And responsive. Going to enjoy it

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The track "Modern" is my current favorite. It's like Rob Zombie+Skrillex and remastered in chiptune.

I've listened to almost all songs in the soundtrack and will purchase everything from Bitnic if there isnt anything else i'd buy off this week's games list.

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    All I can say about the game, is that it is pretty solid with one of the smoothest responses on a DSS game. The controls are just perfect.

The graphics other than being glorious retro, is one of the most stylish art styles, which remind me a bit of Sword and Sworcery.

The sounds. Well, let's just say that I think this has one of the best soundtracks for 2012, and could easily be one of the best ever. The sound effects of smashing things is well varied as long as you keep moving and attacking different things, as attacking already destroyed things while being stationary may sound irritating (but not by much). The voice acting is pretty well done, and I have to say the writeup is pretty funny.

As for gameplay, as mentioned above, the 2 v-sticks (but disguised as being 2 d-pads, but they are v-sticks!) control your character flawlessly, and the crosshair helps so much in making sure you dont limit yourself in 8 directions because of this game's nostalgic 8-bit visuals, and cleverly disguised v-sticks.

Everything in each level can be destroyed, and blood and debris is flying off everywhere which is always satisfying. The levels are also designed to be like mazes and rooms and are very well made here.

While moving through the office building you encounter zombies that you punch, bat, chainsaw, and shoot with different pewpews, and you rescue some uninfected officemates along the way. Zombies drop temporary boosts and heal pickups as well, so that is always a plus.

There are also boss fights which have you both duking it out 1v1 style (the first boss at least, coz that's what i've seen so far) in a smaller area, which is the Boss's office space.

The wordplay in this game is also funny and spectacular. The term Corporate Zombies has been played well, and the dialogue even includes business terms like "deadline," "schedules" and "reports" spoken in zombie tones.

I am pretty impressed by this title, and to me is one o the best DSS games of 2012, as this is one tight package with fantastic graphics, great controls, funny scripts and cutscenes, and one hell of a soundtrack that will make that bieber kid cower in a corner rocking back and forth in the darkness, eyeballs rolling left to right, nail-biting, and all the while thinking of his pathetic existence.

5. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for your coverage of this game Exact!
    Can't wait to dive in
    Lol at your Bieber description!!!!
    Throwing up on adoring fans who want more of that and cowering after each concert is over ........yup fame is a cruel master

6. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    No plans for Android? It feels right at home on my smartphone :D

7. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #47 retr0spective, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    I picked this up after reading Exact-Psience raving about the soundtrack which is indeed glorious. It seems to have been significantly inspired by Superbrothers' iconic pixel art style and the themes of the brilliant Jim Guthrie music video The Children of the Clone:

(P.S. Can someone look at my video code and tell me why it is not embedding? I have been having trouble with that function. Thanks!)

[EDIT: You are awesome! Thanks for the fix!]

8. AmpliHelix

AmpliHelix Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    East Coast, USA
    Here you go. You have to use either:

Code:
    [youtube]VideoID[ /youtube] 

[hqyoutube]VideoID[ /hqyoutube]

or 

[hdyoutube]VideoID[ /hdyoutube]
    minus the spaces and use the video's ID (which is after v= in the link) in between the tags. In this case, your video's ID is "uBgGwZYfSdU"

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Played further, and this game owns. Haven't had this much zombie killing fun since Left4Dead, and that says something. If you like zombies in general, get it, I was hesitant at first but Im really glad I bought it.

Only thing lacking is GameCenter, both leaderboards (something like total zombies killed or like that) and achievements. Then it will be perfect :)

10. Unperson

Unperson New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Quick question.. ..is game play on the iPad zoomed in as the screen shots show on the App Store, or does game play appear zoomed out as it shows in the PC screen shots?

Almost sold on this game, but if it is zoomed in, then that kind of ruins it for me.

11. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    same here... if dev will promise Universal build - i'm buying!

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah. Forgot to mention that it isnt universal, and no ipad version yet. But other than that, it is one divine game filled with zombies. You know it's something good, if zombies are considered divine.

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    For those who have this, mind if I ask how's the weapons switching in the iOS version?

I tried the pc demo last night and found the weapons switching difficult/cumbersome on my laptop keyboard.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Easy as tapping the weapon you want to use.

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thx! I'll pick it up after work.

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Six pages of positive impressions = downloading now.

17. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Is there any chance we will see iPad support?

18. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Nothing but good things to say about this. Controls are great. Same for the retro (pixel) artwork. The humor and pop culture references help zombies stand out from other dual stick shooters. Overall, just a really well put together experience.

19. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #59 Delusionaltool, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    this game is amazing!!!!!! music sound the super brothers style graphics and you can DESTROY everything hahahah

even tho its not universal its not gonna look that much better on the ipad it doesnt really look bad at all zoomed in

20. all74

all74 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Great game! One problem: I appear to be stuck on the rooftop level. I've killed everything I can, but it shows a few zombies left. I've retried the level multiple times and each time it shows some left. Are they hiding? Is this a bug?