iPad Zombies The Last Stand (by Rocking Pocket Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ipadboy, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Fmrfox

Fmrfox Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Manitoba, Canada
    Tried rebooting and redownloading... On both the iPod and my computer neither has worked. Any more suggestions?

And the ipod is a 32 gb running on 3.1.3. Could that be the problem that it is not updated. I just haven't updated because it never works, always has an error.

2. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    I should've known I'd regret writing that, it has indeed got tenser quickly! Have just encountered my first 'special' zombie, the crawling green ones, very satisfying when they go up in a crowd! The zombies coming over the wall silhouetted against the moon was a nice touch.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have enough pennies to buy the shotgun, I must depart. :D

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Is it jailbroken? You can try updating to iOS 4 since it does use some Game Center functions.

4. Fmrfox

Fmrfox Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Manitoba, Canada
    #24 Fmrfox, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    It is not jailbroken nor has it ever been.

I really hope updating works, This game looks great and I love me some FPS zombie killing.

5. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Just picked it up and beat the first round. The game plays smooth, the shadow and flashlight effects are very cool! totally worth the buck!

6. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Good zombie shooter well worth a buck look forward to the new maps .

To the person struggling to get it to run on there 3rd gen iPod you need the latest OS as it has Gamecenter and it will keep crashing as it trys to find it .

7. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    #27 Maniacfive, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    So I played up to about the 17th mission last night, thought I'd post some impressions. I've been using an iPhone 4 and turned the shadows up to high with no ill effects that I noticed. Really does look great. Retina graphics would be nice, but the lighting effects and shadows really do make up for where that is lacking imo.

Things I really like:

The zombies, I like the way that clipping them with the shotgun causes them to just crumple to the ground, hitting them square In the chest sends them to the ground with a satisfying jolt.

The sound is nicely polished. Effects and music. I can hear a zombie running for me, but where, where, where, AGH! Nicely terrifying in a silly way.

The upgrade system. I've only bothered to upgrade the shotgun so far, but it feels satisfying. There is a noticeable difference between not upgraded, half upgraded and maxed out.

The controls. Simple and effective, joystick to move, swipe to aim, tap to fire. Job done.

Things I don't hate but am indifferent about:

The health bar, i only ever get to see the top quarter of it, my thumb blocks the rest, it would be better personally if it were at the top of the screen, between pause and credits?

The visible controls on the screen, an option to fade out, or remove the joystick and fire button would be a nice addition. As I've played enough now that I don't need to know where they are.

Verdict:

For 59p, this is a bargain. Way way better than Undead: The Last Refuge. It's definitely in my top 3 favourite zombie shooters along with N.Y. zombies and COD:Z. I am looking forward to when more levels get added.

Oh yeah, one more thing. this is an unscientific observation on my part but it didn't seem to cane my battery as much as I was expecting from the visuals. That was good.

8. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Love the icon. Can't believe it's 59p.

9. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    So how about some ideas for new locations?

1. A city street, cars overturned, store fronts
    2. A bridge
    3. ??? What would you like to see?

I'm also thinking it would be great to have random special weapons appear at the ammo locations, like grenades or a chainsaw.

10. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    The first thing is to support Retina display devices I think.

11. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Retina display WILL NEVER be added to this game. The game uses very complex shaders that are too slow to use with that many pixels on the screen. I've tried it and it runs at about 1 fps.

12. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nice! Post some more shots :D

Here is a comparison of the detail in NOVA and ZTLS:
    [​IMG]

13. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I am submitting the next update for the game today.

What's new:

-Added new campaign map : "The Pit"
    -Added reload button
    -Moved health bar to top
    -Increased zombie texture resolution by 4x
    -Switched to 32 bit color
    -Improved sky quality

There is a big increase in rendering quality. For the initial release I used compressed textures because it was running out of memory on the iPod Touch. Now that I've finalized things I've put back the original uncompressed textures and used 4x larger ones on the zombies. The sky looks much smoother now, especially on iPhone 4.

While that version is in review I'll be working on adding gyroscope aiming.

14. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great update.

15. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    You know what, I've been watching this thread trying to convince myself that I'm sick of zombie games, and I don't really need anymore... but then with the sounds of this update and Halloween around the corner... sold sir. Sold.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Was excited looking at all the pics and comments, then saw that it won't work on 2G iPod Touches. Oh well, can't afford a new one at this point.

17. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The developer site was down a few hours today while I was trying to submit, so I went ahead and finished gyroscope controls, and added a zombies left counter. Both of those will also be in the next update.

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    About how many hours of gameplay does this have?

19. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It might take around an hour to complete each campaign. It promotes quick plays and even if you don't finish a mission you save the money earned to upgrade another time.

There is no story, it's really just mindless zombie blasting. It does have some replayability though since you can choose what to upgrade.... do you save up for an assault rifle or do you upgrade your speed to outrun them, or clip size and fire power? The choice is yours and you can pick a different strategy each time you play through a campaign.

20. godofodd

godofodd Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Game Impressions

I sort of feel like I've stepped into some sort of Bizarro world. I didn't care for this game at all. The physics are way off; a shot way above the head of a crawling zombie still kills it, the collision time after a zombie swipes at you is such that it often won't flash red until you're ten steps away from the zombie. The patterns of the landscape are reminiscent of DOOM level creators and not in a good way.

I suppose I've been spoiled by some seriously high quality games out there. I certainly don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but this one gets a big thumbs down from me.