iPad Zombies The Last Stand (by Rocking Pocket Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ipadboy, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
  2. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #42 RPGGuy, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    I read that :) They gave ToyShop Adventures a 4, which lasted about 30 seconds on my phone before I deleted it. It all depends what kind of a gamer you are.

I think I've added most of the things people have been asking for in update #2, and now just have to work on more maps. Having the hit detection a bit larger makes the game less forgiving when you're aiming and that can be a good thing for many people. There's no location damage, no headshots. I wanted it to be faster paced carnage like Left 4 Dead and not like RE4 where you have 20 seconds to line up a headshot on a single zombie.

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Here are some shots from the upcoming version 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also started work on the Downtown city level. It has 2 adjacent streets and 3 alleys between them. I'm working on getting the textures and basic layout in place. Once that is done I'll be adding overturned and burning cars, debris and other details to make it look like the zombies have taken over!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #44 RPGGuy, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
    I've got a new bump map generator that makes fantastic looking results and have started using it to make the Church level look nicer.

I've also added parallax mapping to the ground so it looks like a displacement map with lots of ground detail. I've also changed the side stone wall and ground textures so they don't repeat as much.

Version 2(!) screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'd like to add another whole page of weapons (room for 6 more). What else would you like to see?

Grenades, Rocket Launcher, Chainsaw...

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I've decided to pull back version two and resubmit it with all the new textures and some other features.

Here is an updated list of what's new for version 2.

- Added new campaign map : "The Pit"
    - Added reload button
    - Automatic reload when ammo is empty
    - Moved health bar to top
    - Added zombies left display
    - Added gyroscope controls
    - Increased zombie texture resolution by 4x
    - Switched to 32 bit color
    - Improved sky quality
    - Smoothed hedges
    - Added ground bumps and better textures
    - Fixed hit detection of poppers
    - Fixed zombie attack detection
    - Changed to red blood and added blood splotches on zombies

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Good on you, you're working very hard to make your game better. Keep it up.

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Final screenshots from version 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Musclegiant

Musclegiant Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I know you didn't want to use head shot mechanics but if you have the ability to I think body part detachment would do wonders for your game. Shoot a zombie in the leg and it falls off after maybe 2 hits for example. I also think possible boss battles would add some depth to the game. Merely ideas though :D

10. pcgeek73

pcgeek73 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Hadnt seen anything about this game.... For 99 cents Im all over it!!! Looks great!!

11. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Wifi multiplayer? :) amazing game btw

12. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    it would need to be 4 players and im not sure if this game includes fat zombies/ mutants but if it does it needs that to be a clone of l4d

13. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It does have big tank zombies that are twice as tall as you and 1000 HP. There are also jumping tanks that can leap over objects.

Once I have a number of maps done I will probably try adding Game Center multiplayer with 4 people. I've got all the code from iFishing World Championship. Just need a player model(s).

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    1. Yes I could see if I can expand the shooting area a bit more. This won't affect you if you're using the new gyroscope controls in version 2.
    2. Yes I've noticed it too. Might be hard to figure out.
    3. Perhaps. I'll probably want some gibs if I add grenades/rockets later.
    4. I wanted to do that but the switch weapon buttons were too small and too hard to hit. So the area with the gun is divided into left/right for switching weapons and another reload button down below.

15. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Looks like yet another must-have zombie game! :)

16. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Can you make the same controls as mc2 also with auto aim ?
    That would be awesome :)

17. Nesvand

Nesvand Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Review Editor
    Australia
    To clarify, I believe there's good potential for ZTLS, but it felt like it was released too quickly.

The new content screenshots look impressive and the small changes implemented look like they'll go a long way to improving things :)

And RPGGuy is bang-on about reviews and reviewers - anyone who claims to be entirely objective is leading you on. I'd much rather be honest about my personal experience with a game and let others make the final judgement on what they like and dislike for themselves. This may not enamor me with some, but opinions are never so cut and dry ;)

Definitely looking forward to these updates, keep me posted! :)

18. miraclehazelnut

Nov 3, 2010
    Are you able to see the all that difference on the small screen? :p

19. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #59 RPGGuy, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    I released what I had in time for Halloween. It's probably a good thing because I've been able to react to what people are saying and make the game better. I don't think you spent much time with the game before reviewing it. It starts out slow and easy but by mission 5/6 the zombies start running after you very fast. Also did you know you can play missions in any order so if you have little patience you can skip ahead to see the variety of zombies. But don't expect to live very long! :)

Many of the other things you said were true and I've fixed up most or all in version 2.

Right now I'm thinking the game I have now could just be the arcade mode of a much bigger game, with a story/quests. However it will take 5-6 months to build something. I am still learning what the engine is capable of.

Right now I'm adding a slum level with lots of little houses, and ghost zombies. Yep, they came back from the dead... twice. ;)

20. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Definitely! Here are some pics from the upcoming slums map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]