iPad Zombies The Last Stand (by Rocking Pocket Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ipadboy, Oct 26, 2010.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #61 RPGGuy, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    Version 2 was rejected by Apple because it is crashing on iOS 4.2 (not yet released). I'm going to take a look at it tonight and see why. A bit disappointing but on the plus side when the game is resubmitted it will include all the content that was intended for version 3, the slums level and ghost zombies, and a few new bug fixes.

Now that more info about Carmack's Mutant Bash game is out, what do you guys think? Hopefully the Zombies TLS engine and future games will give you more what you're looking for.... shadows, parallax mapping, free roam, dynamic lighting, etc.

I'm a bit disappointed that Touch Arcade hasn't said anything about the game or engine, while Carmack is getting all the attention for something that isn't as advanced. Nevertheless I will continue adding more features and levels to the game over the new few months and hopefully they will feature it later on.

2. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Version 2 has been approved and is now available! This is a major update:

- Added new campaign map : "The Pit"
    - Added new campaign map : "The Slums"
    - Added ghost zombies
    - Added reload button
    - Automatic reload when ammo is empty
    - Moved health bar to top
    - Added zombies left display
    - Added gyroscope controls
    - Increased zombie texture resolution by 4x
    - Switched to 32 bit color
    - Improved sky quality
    - Fixed input rotation from multitouch bug
    - Fixed losing ammo while switching weapons bug
    - Smoothed hedges
    - Added ground bumps and better textures
    - Fixed hit detection of poppers
    - Fixed zombie attack detection

3. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Congrats! Somehow this got lost in the shuffle of apps and looks really good. I think you are doing a great service to the game by posting in these forums and responding to peoples questions and comments.

The engine looks really good as do the graphics. I'm going to pick this up tonight to show my support. I hope you continue to support this game and more future content as well! :)

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Looks like a huge update! Kudos to you, I see a lot of potential in this game now! Too bad I can't play it on my 2nd gen...

5. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Played for about an hour and like what's here. The upgrade and difficulty progression feels good. Only comments I have are that the shot gun seems a little too accurate at a distance. I was able to pick off zombies from more than half way across the church court yard.

The only other issue I noticed was the ahot gun reload animation continues while firing a shot. Instead of bringing the shot fun back on screen and stopping the animation, a shot is fired, but no gun is shown.

Awesome!

6. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Interesting, too bad it's not universal for iPad

7. WonderingIf

WonderingIf Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Kid herding
    In an alternate reality
    I actually picked this game up soon after it hit the AppStore, even though I only had an old 2G iPhone because it looked awesome. Well, I just got a new iPhone 4 this past weekend! I loaded up ZTLS, and I haven't been disappointed!

It is fun, and it definitely gets tense as the levels increase. I have played tons of zombie games, and I found myself breathing harder and my heartrate increasing at certain moments. The sound effects and music are great. So far, it is an entertaining game!

I will put in my vote for some kind of story with missions, maybe where you can hints and clues through the various levels as to what really happened (files, newspaper clipping, secret docs, etc.), with this version as an arcade mode. As it stands, though, thanks for a great game! Keep those awesome updates coming!

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Version 2.1 has been submitted with these changes:

- Fixed some memory leaks
    - Fixed reload shooting bug
    - Reduced shotgun damage distance
    - Fixed text spacing on profile screen
    - Added achievements and leaderboards for campaign 3
    - Brightened flashlight
    - Brightened church ground
    - Compressed some assets to reduce file size

For the next version I am working on an indoor prison level, barrels that explode, gibs, and more.

9. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Tonight I found time to make a lite version of the game.

It includes the first 2 missions on each of the 3 maps, and caps your cash to $2000 which limits you to buying the shotgun only. Apple seems to be pretty slow with submissions lately so expect it in a week or so.

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Version 2.1 has been released. It is a maintenance release, no new content, just some bug fixes.

11. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Early screenshot from the upcoming Prison level:

[​IMG]

12. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Zombies HD

I finally got around to trying the game out on iPad 2 in 1024x768. The game runs great thanks to the new graphics chip! On iPad 1 it was unplayable with shadows and per pixel lighting turned on.

I'm working on the HD version with updated graphics now and it will be released as simply "Zombies HD".

13. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Version 2.4 is out with these improvements:

- Increased responsiveness of controls
    - Decreased virtual joystick size, now compatible with Fling
    - Made virtual joystick autocenter when not being held
    - Reduced chances of running out of memory while loading level
    - Added Bank feature: In-App purchase of cash for faster level progression
    - Updated hud graphics
    - New zombie textures
    - Changed to more natural lighting
    - Changed angle of flashlight
    - Darker blood
    - Fixed bug when rotating camera very fast
    - Reload saves ammo in clip
    - Made poppers and crawlers easier to hit

The game is also now free, with freemium in-app purchases.

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008