Zombox

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by zombox, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Are you allowed to tell us what else is instore for us and Will there be co-op or multiplayer

2. zombox

zombox Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Currently no plans for multiplayer....maybe in the distant, distant, seemingly infinite future :p

3. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #223 cplr, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    Just saw this posted on RPS. This looks totally sweet.

Sorry for not reading 22 pages of info, but have you thought about a permadeath mode? that mixed with the procedural city generation would make this a cool roguelikelike!

I don't really care about co-op or multiplayer, but since you said that one of the main problems with multiplayer is performance, maybe you could come up with some sort of cool game mechanic which would involve asynchronous play. although i cannot for the life of me think of what this could be. maybe a way to trade items with people, and invite them to your city?

4. zombiesmoke

zombiesmoke Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Yes!
    A mode with perma-death like Diablo II's Hardcore mode would be awesome!

5. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I asked the dev on twitter about this and he said:

6. zombox

zombox Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Hey guys....yep, if each of the 5 playable characters dies, the game is over.

As for asynchronous play....I've thought about that too, but like you, was unable to come up with a fun way to integrate it.

Also this last week I added some more craftable items...click the icons below to see an animated .gif of them in action!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    #227 VaroFN, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    Time being alive? For leaderboards.

And about asyncronous gameplay, how about bosses? Just like Clash Mobs in Infinity Blade 2, everyone deals damage to the enemy (with massive HP) and then everyone gets the reward. For example, a zone called "Zone 0", where everything started. Here, there is a giant zombie, the first infected man, and you need to kill him. You can use every weapon or object you have to deal damage, just like everyone in the world, but he can kill you easily, so you need to think if the reward is enough or not. Just some ideas :D

8. zombox

zombox Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    The problem with 'Time for being alive' is that all someone would have to do to win, is sit in a safe spot for however long they want.

But I get your idea, and certainly a leaderboard system could work for other things (most zombie kills, biggest kill combo, etc).

As for a big boss area or something, I've thought of maybe having a Zombox 'arena'...a small area filled with zombies that multiple players could enter. It wouldn't be part of the main game, but you could use the character you've developed in the main game to play inside.

What do you guys think about something like that? I've thought about maybe even making it part of the storyline.....it gets "unlocked" when you "beat" the game.....maybe the game ends with you escaping the city but crashing on a desert island where you find other players you can co-op with, killing the zombies that are on the island too.

Obviously it would be a lot of work to integrate such an off-shoot multiplayer system from the main game, but it's do-able and the performance could end up being okay.

9. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Looking good as usual.

Random idea for asynchronous play ideas: how about you add a house somewhere in the map where you can go in and play various board games with other players.

To expand on that, your character goes into the house, a window pops up asking you to select a board game, you choose whatever game (chess or similar), and then you select an opponent either from gamecenter or through a list of players who have made it to the house already. Once you start a game, you make your move then leave the house and wait for the opponent to make their move. From there you could take it in several directions (make the player return to the house to check if it's their turn, or implement a message system, etc).

Like I said, it's just a random idea. Maybe something to take your mind off the zombies for a while :D

Maybe you could include that in the sewers instead of in a random house...

10. Oktagon Games

Oktagon Games Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Game Developer
    Brazil
    #230 Oktagon Games, Jun 26, 2012
    Hi. We're facing the same issue to make our game (Cuanatun) with a strong multiplayer mode as well. BTW, your idea about a multiplayer mode sounds interesting. But why not giving the multiplayer mode since the begin?

11. zombox

zombox Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    As I've mentioned elsewhere...the main game wouldn't be able to handle extra players and still perform well on iOS devices....the processing power required would be too much :)

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    So no arena mode?

Well, I think that trading items between GC friends could work too.

And, here comes another idea: how about S.O.S. system? For example, when you're dead (5 characters dead) you can send a S.O.S. message to someone and he could rescue you. It could be an Asynchronous mission, for example, there's a zone where the zombies eat the character, and after sending the S.O.S. message, the character of the friend will be showing there in the other friend's game.

13. zombox

zombox Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes...arena mode would be possible! It's the full-game multiplayer that would not.

As for why arena mode would need to be unlocked. I dunno...could be interesting and give people something to work for (although I realize some people would just want to play multiplayer mode and not singleplayer at all). Or maybe it's not locked but as you progress in the main game you can goto bigger and bigger arenas.

The S.O.S. idea is neat, but I think it would be too unreliable. For example, if someone is playing where they don't have an internet connect, they'd have an unfair disadvantage over a person who's online and has closeby friends.

14. Oktagon Games

Oktagon Games Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Game Developer
    Brazil
    #234 Oktagon Games, Jun 26, 2012
    Sorry Zombox, i was talking about the arena mode too, it's clear now, thanks!

15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    This game looks great!

16. zombox

zombox Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    This week in Zombox development....

-Books with crafting recipes can be found throughout the world. Dragging a book onto your character in the inventory panel will allow you to read its contents

-A quick-craft panel has been added, that saves your crafting recipes and allows you to access them quickly. Clicking a recipe will add its ingredients to the crafting panel, for quick crafting (assuming you possess the necessary ingredients)

-You can upgrade certain items and weapons in the NPC stores now. Upgrading an item or weapon will increase its damage/crit/etc stats.

-You can build storage chests for stashing your items.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Amazing update this game is looking amazing and it already looked amazing before this update. I know that this will definently be an instabuy for me.

18. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here. keeps getting better and better every time I check it out. Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

19. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    i like the quick crafting. i think the way most games do it is clunky and unnecessary UI interaction for the user. this is the perfect implementation, IMHO. this game looks great! can you give an estimate on % completion? I don't want to ask a date as this is usually impossible to foresee..

20. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    why in god's name would you want multiplayer? i tell you right now, i would pay $10 for this game.