Universal Barbearian (by Kimmo Lahtinen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Aug 14, 2018.

1. NewZealand

NewZealand Active Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I have an iphone X and am having the same issues. Crashes constantly

2. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    For anyone who hasn’t gotten there yet, you’re in for a real treat with the second boss. Kimmo does boss battles like no other.

3. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    purple - a shield
    green - a speed up
    pink - a ball of doom

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Great game! This has to be one of my favorite iOS games this year! I'm only mid way after the 1st boss but Loving what I played so far. The large scale battles give me a Total War vibe in an action setting.

Quick tip: make sure you rescue the 3 peasants in each level. They really become a force to be reckoned with. And spend that money you earn - losing a third when dying can be a bummer if you go in wealthy.

My only gripes:
    - I think the island hubs are too complex, would have preferred a single hub island instead of this unnecessary complexity of running around hitting red switches.

- The game does crash from time to time. I'm playing on the new iPad (whatever it's named these days) with newest iOS. It can be annoying but not frequent enough as to spoil the game. I guess there's a memory leak somewhere.

5. gimblll

gimblll Well-Known Member

#85 gimblll, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Sorry about the crashing! I've yet to find the root cause for it. From the stack traces I get from Apple's bug reporting, it seems to possibly have something to do with audio. But the crashes are super esoteric (far inside the operating system, not my code), and I'm having a really hard time reproducing it here. Regardless, I'm trying to work something out for the first patch.

Edit: Submitted the first patch to the Apple system, should be out when it gets through approval. No new features, just a few fixes and hopefully stability should be a bit better.

lilneo likes this.
  6. Sieye

Sieye Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    East Coast
    Fantastic game man. First premium game that I keep coming back to.

gimblll likes this.
  7. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Awesome game!
    Any change too add Spanish language?

8. gimblll

Thanks! I'm not actively working on translations, so not in the near future, but it's something "on the list" of possible future additions.

lezrock and lilneo like this.
  9. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
  10. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Absolutely superb... The best ios game I've played in a long while.

I've completed it (beat the last boss and reached the 'The End' screen) but my progress only shows 75%. I've been back to all areas to see if I've missed anything but it seems that I've dove it all. Is this a bug? I'd be surprised, as i haven't encountered any other issues.

gimblll likes this.
  11. gimblll

Yeah it's been featured in a few places. Which country store are you using btw., was it a good spot?

Thanks!

It's not a bug, but I don't want to spoil my own game really, maybe someone else wants... :) Let's just say that it counts the missing minions, weapons and etc. into the the percentage.

12. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

?

Unless the irony is that you’re calling something ironic, when it isn’t?

Also: I am slightly frustrated that a good bit of grinding has been... counterproductive. Really enjoyed getting my bear souped up, then suddenly realised I have £16,000 with literally nothing to buy, 2ish levels I’m likely to die on ahead, and the prospect of losing ¼ of my income at each death. I assume there’s a balancing reason for my not being able to buy infinite peasants of escalating price, but I would’ve liked to know - at least - that the cap was approaching.

13. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    I told you to take my money.....you didn't listen to me so I just gave to you. Best 8.99 i've spent in a while. The only thing I can even begin to speak on is just a selfish desire to see WAY more goodies drop. Like different main weapons (swords, spears, elemental enchants) etc.

BUT, other than that this game is PERFECT AND I LOVE YOU

thanks bye

gimblll likes this.
  14. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Dammit.

Completed the next level, and... can’t bank the winnings. Have to collect it before the next level opens, only there’s nothing I can buy with it (I’ve bought everything currently unlocked) and I’m fairly confident the winnings will be whittled away with a failed attempt or two at the NEXT level.

That is a bit tedious.

1863A62D-94C4-4164-950B-0134118BD77E.jpeg

15. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    US AppStore!
    Now, Barbearian #4 in Arcade. Congrats! XD

+ Update Live :>

- Fixed direction arrow setting not getting saved
    - Changed title screen text to be more appropriate for touch devices
    - Fixed tips sometimes getting skipped
    - Improved stability

Note: You can zoom in the camera and also make the text larger through the Accessibility menus.
    Note: You can change the location of the control stick and buttons from the Controls menus.

16. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Ok. I have all the minions, but there is at least one weapon that I’m missing. Hard to imagine that accounts for the missing 25% but I agree with you - you shouldn’t be posting spoilers for your own game :) I’ll keep searching, but I’ve been quite OCD about completing everything before moving on. By the way, I took 21h19m to complete it. I expect others will be much quicker but I enjoyed it from start to finish.

lezrock and gimblll like this.
  17. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    You should have read my tips ;)

But yeah, always spend as much as you can before going into a new battle. Only grind when there is something available at the shops.

I actually don't mind losing a third on at failed battle - it makes battles more tense + it encourages you to spend.

18. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Did you complete the Master Class challenges? (Battles where you can only use a specific weapon, without using the axe nor minions)

19. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    i really want buy this game, but what about replayability ?

20. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I’ve done four or five of those I think, which is all that were open at the time. There’s probably at least another one available by now, and I know there’s at least one weapon I don’t have too.

Just buy it. Even if you only play it through once it’s still money well spent, but it’s definitely worthy of a replay. You have three save slots anyway.