List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Differences listed between Deluxe and original version:

• Dynamic coloring - Goodbye gray, hello color!
    • Enhanced animation, graphics, and lighting effects
    • Refined audio for better atmosphere
    • Improved user interface

Colorization seems to be the main selling points, the other ones could just as well been added with a free update to the original version. Suppose everybody has to decide for themselves if the enhancements are worth the extra 3 dollars (or € 3.40) for the Deluxe edition but I tend to agree with you. It’s basically the same game with color and some other minor improvements. Think I’ll also invest the extra 3 bucks in a new game and buy the 99c (€ 1,09) version from last year.

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I will say that the interface was definitely not a strong point of the game, but you are also correct that it could (and in my opinion should) have been a free update to the original game. Oh well. Hope you enjoy it whichever version you buy.

3. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Thanx :) The game is certainly much better than I expected. Creepy, captivating story and even though most puzzles aren‘t the hardest, for the fact that the inventory only has 3 spaces they are very well thought out. I bought the 99c version btw and you were right - The interface isn’t the strongest point of the game but nothing terrible either. And most of the game is already in color anyway. Glad I didn‘t buy the $3.99 deluxe edition.

4. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Glad you liked it. One of these days I'm going to have to go back and play it again (probably from the beginning since it's been a while). I'm assuming that it wasn't a very long game?

5. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    No it wasn‘t, depending on how fast you solve a few puzzles ofc you usually should be done between 2 - 4 hours. Was definitely worth the Dollar :)

6. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Just saw that The Room like puzzle adventure The House of Da Vinci has been reduced from $4.99 to $2.99 since last week

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That's tempting. It doesn't say in the iTunes description that it won't run on an iPad 2, but I feel like someone told me once that it wouldn't. Guess I might need to drop the developer a note and see.

8. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    New release:

Through Abandoned

From what I’ve played so far seems like a rather challenging Point‘n‘Click Adventure. First episode is free, the other two cost $ 2.99 together.

Haven‘t fully warmed up to the game so far but definitely has potential. And trying is free. Have fun!

9. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Yes, I recall that cut scene and an item being missing. I think I contacted the dev and for the life of me can't remember if I finished it.

10. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Episode 2? Is there a sequel to it I’ve missed. Or missed. Im guessing you had it in your cloud...

11. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Ah. Now you’re completely jogging my memory database. I’m thinking it was called something like Olympus?

On the indie dev topic, I guess anything can happen. Just like life. It gets me thinking of other games I’ve dabbled with and can no longer find.

12. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Yes. Something to look forward to...

13. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I really liked this game. A lot. Definite similarities to The Room but also there was a story going on to.

14. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I got halfway through the first free part and suddenly realised I’ve played this before. I don't remember it being called this though...

Appunwrapper has got a review and a walkthrough up, and it’s recent.

Have they added more episodes? Is this why it’s a “new” game?

15. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, this was a pretty cool game. Dark, ambient and involving.

16. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Hi pod, we‘re still talking about Perils of Man, right? Not really a sequel just the rest of the game - The first episode is free and episodes 2 and 3 were obviously released at a later date - It‘s possible that went by you (if we‘re talking about that game).

The game is definitely finished by now though and you can still buy it for iOS 11. just bought it about a week ago, no need for my cloud ;) Alas some of my favorite adventures disappeared from the purchase list and weren‘t in cloud/on device/iTunes Backup when it happened but Perils is still available as usual.

17. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Hmm, is that the reason why this game looked so familiar to me? I couldn‘t put my finger on it but something was off. I had a Deja Vu while playing through the first scenes and thus looked at the release date, which was 2th May, from that angle all looked recent. But wouldn‘t be the first time somebody released a remake or something in that vein. You could also be on the right track that they added more episodes and released it as new game. Iirc the game wasn‘t as long back then.

18. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Good day gents. I recently dipped my toe back into point-and-click adventures, having last played these games more than a decade ago on the PC.

Now not to sound like a cheapskate, but I'm looking for games series that are free/ ad supported. Would you guys have any recommendations?

I know of two devs that offer their games for free:

Rusty Lake: The Cube Escape series is completely free, 9 games in total. The additional 3 'premium' games are well worth the asking price for supporting the developer.

Haiku Game: The 'Adventure Escape' series, 13 games in total is free as well. There is an occasional ad, and you can purchase hints if required, but I've beaten a couple of games without having to pay. Nevertheless, I will be purchasing an IAP pack to support the dev, just because the games are fair without resorting to cheap tricks to make you pay money.

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    As others come to me I will bring them up, but the first thing that comes to mind is The Silent Age. This isn't quite what you asked, since only the first of two episodes is free, but even if you don't buy the second episode I think you'll find the first one worth playing. I actually played through the entire first episode a second time once part two came out and I enjoyed it just as much the second time.

20. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6920 Gambler, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Forgotten Hills - A little resemblance to the Rusty Lake series, completely free with an optional ‚no ads iAP‘. Four parts (so far) - First one is a bit short but it really picks up from there.

And ofc there are some games mentioned recently (especially last two/three pages in this thread) who have their first episode free with an option to buy the rest.