List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Love that game.

2. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    @Analander (and everyone else for that matter): Discovered another completely free game which is some kind of mix between adventure and beat’em’up (based on a TV show I’m not familiar with) released a few months ago:

Stranger Things

Played a bit so far and those two genres together certainly is an interesting mix. And as I said, it’s completely free.

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    :eek: Forgive me while I ponder the fact that you aren't familiar with Stranger Things :) IMHO, this is possibly the best original show on Netflix at the moment. It captures 80's sci-fi geekdom perfectly, and it's just a whole lot of fun. The game actually reminded me of a Legend of Zelda (original 8 bit version, for all you young'uns out there) knock off, and what I played of it was a lot of fun.

Also, this one came out a few days ago: Escape Code - Coding Adventure. I tried to get hold of a copy, but the developers seemed less than eager for a review from me, and without the ability to confirm that a game will run on my device I won't plop down any money any more. If someone does try it please post your thoughts here. I'm curious if an adventure game mixed with programming lessons can really be entertaining.

4. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I think there’s sarcasm in there maybe? Seeing as it has become a cult of its own.

Or maybe I’m wrong. Maybe ther is a small group of people who have avoided flix and Stranger Things. If so, you have to watch it NOW.

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Potentially my bad. Sarcasm is hard to read when people don't use emojis :) However, it's entirely conceivable that someone without Netflix wouldn't have heard of the show. If we were talking about Avengers: Infinity War, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

6. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Ok, one OT post about TV shows - Stemming from the comments about Stranger Things and the game ;) :

No sarcasm :) I watch more TV than I should, rarely watch Netflix though (even though I got an account). Usually prefer our pay-per-view stations from Sky and their streaming program Sky Go. One problem with that and the other stations here is though that they don’t buy everything from the US so you gotta discover a lot of the good stuff yourself.

Even Game of Thrones came to my attention months before it was broadcast here. Now we have a station that hosts a lot of HBO content (Sky Atlantic Go) but it’s relatively new.

Aside from Wynona Rider the whole cast of Stranger Things seems to consist of kids and that’s kept me from looking into it these last days as I thought it was more of a show with and for kids. Guess you should rarely trust first impressions.

Some of my currently favorite shows will end soon like Game of Thrones or The Americans so I’m always on the lookout for something new. Dramawise I also like The 100 (despite it being a show with plenty attractive teens especially seasons 1, 2 and now 5 are much better depicting a believable apocalyptic scenario than (especially the later seasons of) The Walking Dead), the newer seasons of Fear The Walking Dead, The Last Kingdom (UK), Gomorrah (IT), Homeland, Better Call Saul, Colony also isn’t so bad and as guilty pleasure I’ll always love the original Law & Order (especially seasons 5 - 14) but none of its other spin offs, except maybe the new True Crime iteration.

Comedy pickings are rather slim lately, with only Rick & Morty (my absolute favorite, unfortunately they need ages for new seasons), Silicon Valley (despite its repetitiveness) and maybe the Middle coming to mind. I also sometimes think I should give Atlanta another shot. Regarding other current HBO comedies alas I’m no big fan of Veep or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Thinking back 10, 20 years with shows like Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle, the Simpsons still being good or even some decent sitcoms like Seinfeld, the first seasons of BBT and Two and a Half man, Raymond or King of Queens it looks like Comedy was better off then. Never liked (the recently canceled) Brooklyn Nine Nine or slapstick comedy like Angie Tribeca. I’ll also never understand how anybody can find Man seeking Woman funny.

Based on this, you guys think I’ll enjoy Stranger Things? (Honest question without a smidgen of sarcasm :) )

7. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    To counteract my question/post about TV & Stranger Things a little bit, listed below two gamebook adventures released lately:

Killing Time at Lightspeed

Dust and Salt

@PointOfLight: What’s up with Appshopper btw? When searching for “new, paid games" (under all, not under popular ofc) one would get the impression there’s only one new game released per day (if even) which seems rather unlikely. Does Appshopper only add a small percentage of new releases to its list?

8. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I have to admit that aside from knowing about most of those shows, I can't really relate to the list that you published (other than The Walking Dead, which I was a huge fan of for the first five seasons, and The Simpsons, which was good in the beginning but has been on for way too long now). I would honestly suggest just watching the first episode. Unlike many shows, it doesn't really take much time to get "ramped up". What you see in episode one season one is pretty consistent throughout the show, so you'll know by the end of the episode whether you want to invest the time in it or not.

I really don't know, and I'm starting to get extremely disappointed, as that's always been my go to site for new games. I know for a fact that they aren't getting everything that's coming out, because I've run across several games that I can find in iTunes but can't find in their listings. I'm not sure if Apple changed the format of their output and AppShopper just hasn't adjusted yet, or if there's something else going on. I haven't bothered to contact them yet, because the last couple of times that I knew there were issues they told me "that's just the way it is", so I kind of gave up on it. Thankfully it's not as crucial for me right now because I can't play so many of the new games that come out anyway, but if I ever get fully back into the iOS world and it's still messed up I'll probably give them a holler again.

9. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I think you will. It’s well crafted and clearly created by people who grew up or are influenced by Stephen King’s stories of 80’s kids on bikes finding creepy things, Spielberg and his E.T, Gremlins and Goonies kids and an overall 80’s vibe. Give it a shot. I think you may find, like GOT, once you begin, you can’t stop.

10. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Everyone, thank you for the recommendations. I will check them out. I was aware of Silent Age and how well received it was, I just need to make space on my phone since it's a ~1.5 GB download.

@Gambler, Thanks for reminding me about Forgotten Hills, I'd played them and they're definitely worth checking out.

As for Stranger Things, it seemed more of an RPG, and since I don't watch the show, I didn't bother with it. Might give it a try now. :eek:

I also went over my Appstore and Play Store list to identify some adventure games that I'd like to recommend to you guys here. Apologies if they have been mentioned before:

- Stray Cat Doors - Played and beat it today. Gorgeous art. Highly recommended! No IAPs, ad supported.

- Davey's Mystery 1 & 2 - Chapter 1 is free, Chapter 2 is only a buck. Worth checking out. I enjoyed both.

- Bluebird Of Happiness - Great retro style adventure game. Short but challenging. You can also check out 'Clock Of Atonement' from the same dev.

- Nobodies - This is a unique take on the point and click adventure genre. It's free, but requires an internet connection to play. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.

- Father and Son - More of a storybook rather than a game, great art.

11. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Wow thanks, certainly a nice quid pro quo. Definitely gonna check those out!

12. Analander

Aug 24, 2014
    I bought it and finished it. It is short, but it's worth it. It's not a traditional point-and-click adventure, in the sense most scenes are self sustaining, no clicking around and there are not many complex puzzles to solve. There are a few RPG elements thrown in as well. When I first started playing it, I hated the main character.

But... the game developer(s) tried something new, and it worked to a large extent IMO. Playing through the game, I grew to appreciate it. The art is gorgeous and when I finished the game, I felt it was time well spent. There is something 'wholesome' about the game. Considering it's their first game, they deserve some love from the community.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    And here's one from the Blackthorne Castle / Enchanted Books developers: Bigfoot Quest

15. Venkatrc

Venkatrc New Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Looking For Entertaining Adventure Game

Hi Everyone,

I love adventure in life. I just wanted to know which is the latest game with full of adventure where I can actually enjoy. I don't want something like finding the hidden objects. The game should have more fun.

Thanks,
    Venkat:)

16. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Looks interesting, but this is another one that requires in app purchases for both hints and fast travel. This seems to be a new trend, particularly from this developer.

17. Analander

Aug 24, 2014
    Haiku has a new game out: Adventure Escape - Haunted Hunt. It's pretty good, though I prefer their games with Detective Kate in them.

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  19. MilknBrains

MilknBrains Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Female
    These sound kind of amazing. I'll definitely add them to my list to check out.

20. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    This game is really good. Playing Episode 1 atm.

Intriguing story, very funny main characters, UI and mechanics perfectly implemented for touchscreens, very well thought out puzzles, not too easy but also not absurdly hard or illogical, hint system if you should get stuck nonetheless and after having played through the tutorial (or Episode 0) which is nearly half as long as a full episode of other episodic adventure games itself and being in the middle of Episode 1 now one certainly gets very good gamelength value for only $2.99.

This would deserve so much more attention, one of the best point’n’click adventures I’ve played in a while! The second episode is already out on PC and the dev said it’ll come out for iOS in August. Just hoping the game gets enough sales and the dev can bring it to a close by releasing all (5?) episodes.