List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6941 Gambler, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Yeah
    I agree. The main TA site definitely looks smoother and I like the fact that you can see more games in the Top and New Games lists but adding URLs really stinks now. The pop up closes 90% of the time if you tap at the space to add your URL - Adding an URL and a name for it was much easier before.

You can still write it per hand though: Panic Room 2 (with the “[ URL= ] [/ URL]” command)

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    True, but that means I have to work harder :)

3. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Yeah, granted - A site "upgrade" should usually lead to the opposite :)

4. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
  5. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
  6. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Ewww what happened to this place??? Any good recs?

7. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6947 Gambler, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    I know what you mean - I’m scanning Appshopper every other day for new adventure releases but can’t find anything worthwhile. No idea if the site made some changes but nothing new pops up.

Well, except rather uninteresting things like that some Hidden Object Game (this week it’s Dreampath by Big Fish) has been reduced from $6.99 to $2.99 for example.

It’s the same on the TA site for more mainstream genres though. If you look at the “Hot” Games list most of the premium stuff there is at least a few weeks old (and PnC adventures aren’t “hot” enough to be found there anyway) the rest and also the New Games stuff is about 90% freemium cr@p and even the few premium games are nothing to write home about.

In conclusion, I can’t find any new interesting adventure games and even finding other good premium games from different genres is getting harder and harder. I’ve got no idea if this is because of the Nintendo Switch or just because premium games sell even worse than a few years ago but it definitely sucks. Just read a few days ago that the apparently big hit Temple Run only started to gain traction after the dev lowered the “terribly high” price of 99c to “free". Obviously even 99c is too much on the mobile market.

Doing a freemium Point and Click luckily is nearly impossible but that probably also means that few dev/publishers will even release a premium adventure on mobile nowadays (and even on PC most don’t even seem to do very well, just look at the pitifully low number of Steam reviews for Odysseus Kosmos). The great resurrection for Point and Clicks from a few years ago where nearly every good adventure was (re-)released on mobile seems to have died down and good premium mobile games in general seem to get even less traction than they did one or two years ago.

Also, no word from Joe/Fire Maple Games anymore about his new game (about a year ago he wrote his last post here that it’s in the works but that he got behind cause of Zelda: BoTW) or Glitch’s planned game Veritas. Both devs stopped posting here a while ago and we’re all left in the dark.

Believe me, I’d love nothing more than to post about new adventure releases here every day but if there are any new ones it seems nearly impossible to find them. Appshopper doesn’t show anything new and even good premium games of less niche genres seem to appear less and less - At least for mobile :(

8. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Sad. This new site design is horrific! I’m craving a good adventure game:( Eric knows the type of games I like :) Does appshopper still work? The app doesn’t work on my phone and the site takes forever to load. I’m also not able to narrow down categories. It’s been so long that I’m sure there are games I haven’t played. What a shame that Maple and Glitch stopped posting. I can’t stand hidden object games and can’t imagine who is purchasing those Big Fish games. Productivity and photography seem to be the big categories. I still play Dragonvale Lolololol Guilty!!!! Has Appunwrapper been around? She is usually on top of the newest releases.

9. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6949 Gambler, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    I‘m not a big fan of the new site design myself. There are so many little annoyances. For example you can‘t long press on a game in the Hot or New Games lists and open its link in a new tab or split view - No matter how long you press, no prompts appear (on iOS devices mind you - Which are the main audience devices for TA after all). Adding links in the forum has become an absolute chore and doesn‘t work very well, even if you write out the URL command. The alternative - using the ‚add link‘ button which had worked flawlessly before - doesn‘t work at all as well, as the pop up disappears every time when trying to insert a link.

Or just now, I tried replying to your post on my iOS 10 device and it didn’t work at all. Every time I tapped on quote or reply a new page opened up that said something like „Reply to thread“ or „Edit Post by Gambler“ but there was no text field to write anything into - The only options shown were to „watch this thread“ or „receive email notifications“ - Nothing to do with replying to or editing a post ... Very weird, I had to use my iOS 11 device and with that one it worked without issues. I hope TA will be able to iron those issues out.

Anyway, regarding Appshopper: As I already discussed with PoL a bit a few weeks ago there was a long while when nearly no new releases appeared on the site (they had about one new premium game release listed per day which is virtually impossible to have been accurate - Even if premium releases get fewer, one per day is impossibly low). Eric said he wrote Appshopper about that issue but never got a reply.

Appshopper finally seems to have gotten this issue fixed as there are more new releases listed again but I can‘t find anything worthwhile regarding new adventure releases lately. I usually scan under the categories ‚All iOS‘, ‚New‘, ‚Paid‘, ‚All‘ (instead of Popular. Sadly there are rarely any Point and Clicks under Popular) and ‚Games‘.

Until recently there were at least one or two new adventure releases to be found per week but now there seems to be a drought. Maybe I overlooked the one odd new PnC but just loading the last three pages now, there‘s quite a few new releases but nothing in the adventure genre. And as mentioned in my last message above, even the quality and quantity in other genres seems to be lowered down significantly for mobile atm.

Hope this is just a short drought but the market seems to be leaning more in the direction of f2p casual games than it ever has before. I haven‘t seen PnC games under ‚Education‘ so far though. Have you ever found PnC‘s in this category?

And P. S.: I don‘t like Hidden Object games as well ;) They don‘t provide a lot of challenge imho. Just used the Hidden Object Game as an example how little interesting stuff one can find on Appshopper atm when searching for new adventure releases.

Tl;dr: I’m having quite a few issues with the new TA design as well. Appshopper works better again than a few months ago but new Point and Click adventures seem to be absent.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    AppShopper is definitely up and going, but that being said there hasn't been a lot there to see lately. I've been trying to go through the new releases the best I can, and as pointed out it's mostly garbage right now, or even if there are good games they certainly don't fall into the Adventure Game category.

As far as I know Glitch Games is still working on Veritas - I haven't had much time to spend with the beta but last I checked their Discord channel was fairly active. Not sure about Fire Maple Games.

What I find sad is that G5 seems to have given up. I know there's a lot of resentment towards hidden object games around here, but at least it was something, and G5's offerings were among the best. Now it seems like all they do is keep adding to their freemium junk, which is not only bad but ruined several decent series they had going. Hopefully someone will come in to pick up the slack soon.

11. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6952 Gambler, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    I agree, G5 also made some decent Point and Click games.

Alas this seems to be a trend. Daedalic a big German developer for Point and Click just said they‘ll completely drop the production of adventures. They even cancelled their last adventure game in the pipe, the from fans hotly anticipated The Devil‘s Man, despite the game being 2/3s done already.

Their reasoning was that there‘s just no profit to be made in the PnC genre anymore. Reminds me a lot of the beginning of the 2000s when everybody and his mother declared the adventure genre dead just for it to return with a bang a few years late - Especially with the start of mobile gaming and the release of tablets.

I‘m sure it‘ll be similar this time around but for the moment it seems to be slim pickings. Gotta just hope for some new Indies to pick up the tab - And of course the Glitch Bros :)

Slightly OT: This forum is for mobile ofc (which I vastly prefer) but as not a lot is happening here atm, so if anybody’s interested, the Point’n’Click games Unforeseen Incidents and Darkestville Castle for PC look rather interesting.

12. elvis333

elvis333 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    its too bad the pricing for ios games is so out of wack ..... anything under 5 bucks is practically the tax u had to pay for a point n click pc game u bought in a big box store 15 years ago..... yet the climate for ios apps in general is so ridiculous that most people consider 3.99 or so to be an expensive app.... so the developers that dont catch lightning in a bottle have a hard time making any money. when the market wants games enough that they are willing to pay 10 bucks or so for a good length game and the people that would want those games could find them, things will start picking up again. i had waited for a new 1112 game but thats never happening.... other myst games being released would also be great... sequels to hotel dusk for ds would have been great on ios....the list goes on....

Gambler likes this.
  13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    You hit the nail on the head. People aren't willing to pay $5 for a decent game. The irony is that instead, they are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on IAP that still won't guarantee that they actually win the F2P game that they are spending so much time and money on! I'm still blown away by a review I saw not too long ago where the reviewer gave the game 3 stars, and his explanation was "I'd give the game 5 stars if the developer made the rest of it free". Apparently it has become our "right" to be entertained at no cost, but the developers don't have a right to make a living from what they do. Go figure...

14. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    #6955 podbud, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    I just finished playing The Memoranda, beautifully executed art and sound wise. It was a bit confusing knowing what to do without clear prompts, even with a diary type book that logged my movements and interactions with characters and what they wanted it still felt obtuse. I ended up having to use a walkthrough which I loathe doing because I get lazy and just use it constantly.

Yes, there has been a lengthy drought with solid pnc games. I’m constantly looking and monitoring appunwrap in case she’s onto one we don’t know about.

Ohhhh. I’m having fire maple glitch withdrawals. It’s been eons....

I’m also not sure about the new look of this forum. And. Didn’t we have more pages than 348?

I forgot...Isoland 2 is due. I didn’t mind that game at all. It’s not FM or Glitchy but it is pnc and it is adventure.

15. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Newsflash…glitch are on discord ( the gamers server networky thing ) and released an alpha build of Veritas, so seems like we’ve missed a loop somewhere. I’ve just joined up. There’s also a game recs channel in their discord.

https://discordapp.com/invite/YK2wfeE

16. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I had not heard about this one, but I went back to check it out on AppShopper and it looks kind of interesting. Here's a company that feels good about their pricing as well. The game is $4.99 and it has been out since November '17 without a single sale. By the way, here's a link in case anyone is interested: The Memoranda

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. Sometimes I think the moderators trim things just for fun.

The ending on the first one was pretty weak and weird, and the second play through which only added a couple of puzzles seemed unnecessary, but otherwise I really liked the first one. I'm looking forward to playing the sequel.

This has actually been available for a little while now. For some reason I thought they had posted about it here at one point. Anyway, I've had the beta for some time and I don't think they've updated it at all since I installed it, which is kind of odd for them. I assume development is still going strong on it. As usual I haven't had much time to play, but the little I have spent with it tells me it's everything we've come to expect and love from Glitch Games.

17. Analander

Aug 24, 2014
    BTW, the Rusty Lake games are on sale...

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Here's a link to their App Store Page: Rusty Lake on the App Store. There's only three Rusty Lake games, but I put the link to their main page because there are also 9 cube escape games, and they all appear to be free.

19. Analander

Aug 24, 2014
    Yeah, I highly recommend the Cube Escape games. Free with no IAPs. They vary in length, but definitely worth playing. A tenth game is under development.