Universal Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon (by Tiger Style)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=267677][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267872][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267701][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267695][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267582][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267824][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267858][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266486][​IMG][/thread]

Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

August 6th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

2. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

I think so... I would have said the next thing to happen is something during the New Moon on Friday, as hinted at after you solve the Gargoyle puzzle.

I think on the map you'll need to make triangles between locations using the numerals on the gold triangle coin. (i, v, vii) (i, iv, iii) (vi, ii, v)
    Hopefully this should complete the symbol one piece at a time.

I'm currently trying to work out the story behind the game by compiling a list of all the rooms and their contents. It's something to do with Alchemy and the Triangle book of St Germain. If you google NOTAMARGATET which you find written in the study, you'll find translations of this book. Two things mentioned in it which I've definitely noticed hints of in the game are to do with life prolonging and turning base metals into Gold. Both of which are associated with the Philosopher's Stone.

The one thing really bugging me right now is the Blackbird in the Treehouse. I'm supposing it was originally in the Smoking Room but has been moved to the treehouse to be played with. What is that sound that's played while it has its wings open and what do the drawings (?) on its wings mean?

I've never got so obsessed with a game! Thanks so much Tiger Style!

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    It would be good if the time machine could jump to moon phases as well as day and night cycles. You would still have to wait a few days for the machine to reactivate each time, but at least we wouldn't have to wait for weeks for the real-world moon phases. (assuming we are correct about the moon phases causing events to happen)

4. BlottoBrah

BlottoBrah Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    US
    Just wondering, to solve a mystery, are all clues tied to that specific area? As an example, can Mansion North clues apply to Barn mystery?

5. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Clues found in one area can apply to a different area.

6. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Hey, we're really happy y'all are getting into the game. It's rewarding to see all the work paying off for folks. Just a thank you for such a warm response from us non-David Tiger Stylers. :]

7. raygan

raygan New Member

Really enjoying this game, even if the drought in California is making it harder to play some of the levels. (I think the 30 minute timer on the weather machine and the fact that it only resets once per moon phase is a bit too restrictive.)

While trying to solve the switch puzzle in the windmill, I had something really confusing happen. I entered a switch combination which turned out to be the wrong one, and suddenly got an achievement I hadn't seen before. I wonder if it's a bug? It just read "USTAEL" with a description that only says "NA".

[​IMG]

Anyone else see this? Is it a bug, or part of a puzzle I don't yet understand?

8. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    #128 tamon76, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    I solved the windmill puzzle (entered a number of wrong switch combinations too) and I haven't seen that.

9. Saitis

Saitis New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes! I did the windmill puzzle and got that achievement, finally found someone else who was wondering about it too! I think you get it by punching in the code of the stone wheel without the overlay, at least because that's what I was trying to do when I got it.

I think it's very intentional, although I don't know what the NA means... (spoilers ahead?)
    I originally thought it was an anagram of salute, but turns out Ustael and Notamargatet (from the chalkboard in the study, I think) are both from the Triangular Book of the Count of St. Germain, which is what you get by searching for these. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, and talks about prolonging one's life and finding gold (sound familiar?) There's four sides of the circle, and Ustael is at "the side where the sun sets". Has anyone found any other weird words?

10. unorigino

unorigino Member

Mar 24, 2013
    London, England
    Windmill puzzle spoiler:
    It's worth noting that Ustael and Notamargatet aren't the only names from the Triangle Book mentioned. The working password for the windmill is "TELARO", another name mentioned in the book.

11. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

#131 SPAMBOT, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    [Respectfully Removed]

12. Saitis

Saitis New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Check out the symbol code explained on the chalkboard in the Study.

So, what are some theories about what went down in the estate? Because the more I search the more I find, and it's getting to be unnerving. For instance, I just realized that apparently
    something really nasty happened in the milkroom
    , and I'm not even sure how it ties in to the rest of the bigger mystery
    besides that red shoe
    . I really need to make a big image file to link all the screenshots I ended up taking together...

13. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi guys! You are on the trail of one of the deeper mysteries in the game. Oh sure, there are the puzzles and the clues. Then there is a more holistic puzzle which some of you are getting pretty far along with. But that's not all. It goes much deeper. If you like solving puzzles and mysteries, you could be here for a while.

It's fun to watch you get on the trail! Secrets are everywhere! Sometimes they are in parts of the game that don't even seem like they are parts of the game!

- Randy of Tiger Style

14. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia

That right there is why I love your work!

15. unorigino

unorigino Member

Mar 24, 2013
    London, England
    Does anyone have any clue what the deal with the Temple area is, secret-wise?
    I've
    lit all the candles, following the "Bring Light to All" engraving, which opened the pillars on either side of the chamber,
    but aside from that, I'll be darned if I know where to go from there, and the game seems to be telling me there's more to that area. Just curious if anyone's figured anything else out about that place.

16. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    My guess is that there is more to do in that area. (it's where the triangular item found in the Captain's quarters fits) But I think the next event is going to occur in the Carriage House on the next moon phase a few days from now. I think it is going to be a case of activating each segment of the triangular object by linking the roman numerals on the map, and ultimately placing the object in the space in the Temple.

17. malkuth

malkuth Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Mysteries abound~

So... there's obviously a lot going on in this game and I adore the historical references and the puzzles- much like everyone else. I've been waiting for this game to come out for a long time. I've been doing a bit of research and I am submitting the following lore to, hopefully, help shine light on the puzzles and the story behind the secret society. I certainly don't have all the answers but I am hoping we can help each other come to a decisive narrative.

So much of what I am about to post is directly related to the lore of the game and is very 'not game mechanic puzzle related and TLDR' so if you have an interest in the society behind this mystery, enjoy. If not then please skip on ahead:

The following terms are all from the ' The Book of Triangular Count of St. Germain ' and here is their context:

Notamargatet- the name for the incarnation of the highest spirit. (I read this but have had difficultly sourcing where I read it, so if you have another definition/source please contribute!)

Ustael- Side Where the sun places

Telaro- After will call you the spirits which I gave the power to chair during hours of the night while beginning on the side where the sun rises, statement

This ritual is quite long and you can read a nice translation of it here but for those who would like to see the words in situ here they are:

"When you arrive at the intended place, you will again give to you Levite the figure with which you entered; then Levite having occupied to it his, you will bless his circle by pronouncing these crowned words:

NOTAMARGATET, -- bless that circle -- bless YANODA -- MIOLE bless -- bless quel' alag -- bless-the aothio -- bless SORIDIS -- blesws it APHAL -- bless AGEMO, bless it THOBASSA -- bless-the arif -- bless BADORA, the thou which saw and reigns by every century of the centuries. Your Levite Will answer AMEN.

After will call you the spirits which I gave the power to chair during hours of the night while beginning on the side where the sun rises, statement: LEAMAN, LECIAB, LATRANAVIO, RIBRAL, TELARO.

Side where the sun places: ELANA, LEPAB, USTAEL, THAERRUB, SOTARECO, ILIBAPAC.
    "

The book itself is outlining a ritual for attaining the secret to longevity and transcendence: "St. Germain was an alchemist renown for his longevity and youthful appearance. Alchemy begins and ends in the quest for eternal life. It is a spiritual technology of rebirth using natural methods that in their effect transcend nature by amplifying that which is immortal within us. It does not exist in nature but must be prepared by Art. Art is a form of manifesting, making and objectifying the world - spiritual physics."

...more from the book itself:

"Holy magic said to Moses discovered in an Egyptian monument and carefully preserved in Asia under the emblem of a winged dragon.

1. Find things lost in the seas of the globe since the flood.

2. To discover mines and diamonds, gold and silver in the earth's bowels.

3. To preserve their health and prolong his life for a century, and that with the freshness of fifty, and the strength of that age.

You should do your operations for the first two objects only when the sun, earth, and moon are found in conjunction in the same line, and in the same plane. As for the third marvel, you can perform the operation at any time, but it is necessary to continue your person a figure as you see here.
    "

I believe this excerpt outlines how the final puzzle must be achieved and the first two are outlining the 'rite of the shrouded moon'. If the sun, earth and moon are lined up perfectly then that means either the moon is completely occluded or there is an eclipse. (right?)

I additionally began researching burial methods due to the disturbing corpse/bell situation in the family graveyard. I can only assume if this is alchemy related the body(salt) is one element and the second and third are either Mercury(soul) and Sulpher (spirit). These have been buried in a liner fashion as the book dictates is necessary during the first two stages of the ritual. I'm not quite certain why but I like to believe it was an earlier attempt to bring someone back to life that failed and that little bell was never rung?

Finally after David's last post I began looking at the menu pages- specifically the inventions on the main page. I am uncertain about the upper illustration of the chamber but the second, lower illustration is a machine with three lenses. I believe this mechanism is used for "capturing a person's soul". But to what end? Looking more closely alchemy and the Merovingian Dynasty: "The skulls of many of the monarchs and been ritually trepanned, a ritual reflecting the old belief that the soul resided in the head and correspondingly trepanning was designed to allow the spirit of the deceased easy passage to the afterlife." Perhaps that is another clue.

I hope any of this was helpful and sincerely look forward to other people's thoughts- LET'S SOLVE SOME PUZZLES! :)

18. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Another bit of info from Twitter- Tiger Style said yesterday that there is a big surprising thing still to come in the game. They also posted this hint -
    "The secret society invented a type of glass that's polarized based on moon phase."

19. malkuth

malkuth Member

Apr 5, 2009
    #139 malkuth, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Really interesting...
    the only hit I can find for that is the "Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 41"and you can check it out here. Also worth noting the next set of eclipses that are upcoming- here!

20. Saitis

Saitis New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Malkuth: regarding the
    bell in the graveyard, that looks to have been there for the buried person to ring if they were not actually dead. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_being_buried_alive, apparently that was a thing for a while due to people possibly being buried alive

Some more observations (MAJOR spoilers and speculation ahoy):

It's probably meant to be obvious and it took me embarrassingly long to realize it, but S Bryce and SB Blackbird are the same person, with SB standing for S Bryce. In the Master Bedroom, her side of the bed has her necklace and her anchor pendant from when she was younger.

Who is the mystery man in the coffin? The only identifying feature is the ring, which seems to connect him to DV Blackbird (the only one with that ring)... But DV's bowler hat and walking stick are all over the place. Imposter? Note also that the coffins in the graveyard (besides his) are all filled with rocks. Given what we know about the secret society extending their lifespans, have they impersonated multiple generations and faked their deaths each time?

The mausoleum is that of VV Blackbird, DV's father (as far as I can tell), as evidenced by the big VV on the pediment and the VV lock in the doo. Going by the footprints in the mausoleum, the hall, the butler's room, and the dock, something sinister has been going on... From what I can tell, the butler (P Fenn?) went into the mausoleum, crowbarred the tomb open, pulled VV's body out, and filled it with what seems to be gold/copper nuggets. He also dragged the body out to the dock (footprints with double line between them), losing one of the shoes just before the end, and chucked it into the lake. VV's wooden arm marks that spot. The butler then returned to his quarters, took his boots off, and hung up the key... and that's where the footprints end.

Now, is this related to the milkhouse, where apparently someone kidnapped someone else and barricaded themselves in? Or was that person trying to hide from their pursuers?