The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Oh yeah! Vagrant Story. I’ve got that one too! And Crimson Gem Saga. There are so many, it’s hard to remember.

2. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm playing Vagrant Story now! Different and hard, but I like it a lot.

3. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, it took me a while to get the hang of it. Of course, it’s one of a dozen games I’m currently playing, so I’m not that far yet.

4. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Yeah me too. I always have way too many rpgs going lol. Right now it's FFVI, Xenoblade, DQVI, Vagrant Story and I also have a bunch other ones started.

I woke last night too and just wanted to play some Vita, but more relaxed than Vagrant Story. I started Home, but soon figured it was not the best way to fall asleep again. So I picked up Trails of Cold Steel again. I'm 80 hours in and I finally got through the place I was stuck.

5. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Is xenoblade on vita? And what about legend of heroes?
    I’m putting a ton of time into FF8 right now

6. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    It’s been a long couple weeks. My wife and I just had our first son and were at the hospital last week and acclimating here at home this week. Anyway, I was in need of a short break, and after doing some housework and yardwork, I sat down with my Vita. And I remembered your twitter and all those posts of you playing Trails of Cold Steel. So... I gave it a try. And I am LOVING it! Trails of Cold Steel is exactly what I wanted Final Fantasy Type-0 to be. Guess I’m a sucker for the cuter version of war. Haha. Anyway, thanks for posting about it. Hope I can find time to play even after I go back to work!

Also, I really love the voice acting and music... man, they should totally port this to mobile. It probably wouldn’t make much money, but I wish I could play it on my phone too!

7. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    It's on Switch unfortunately, but you can get Legend of Heroes!! Trails in the Sky is there and Cold Steel I and II. Europe can't get first Trails in the Sky, but US can I think.

8. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Congratulations!! Are you all well? :)

Cold Steel is a quality game! There's a lot of dialog and I might have wished for a little less sometimes, but there's a lot to chew into and if you get interested in politics and history in games it's so well done!

9. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Myself I'm still playi g DQVI. Do you guys manage to navigate that game without a guide?
    I'm over half way now. I have also played more Vagrant Story. I'm closing in Trails of Cold Steel. Also I have been playing my switch a lot. Still Xenoblade. Also played some Lost Sphear and Atelier Lydie and Suelle. Yesterday was gamingday, it was great to mostly relaxe all day.

10. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    We’re exhausted, clueless, and thankful. October, or Toby for short, is healthy and knows how to fall asleep while I read to him, watch sports, or narrate a game. But his mother and I are learning that parenthood is tiring! Hahaha

Yeah, Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel I is fantastic so far. I love how you can save anywhere, save to the cloud, and even just put the Vita to sleep anytime. It makes for the perfect pick up and play game.

Do you know of any mobile games that are similar? The closest game to the same look, feel, and gameplay is Chaos Rings III. And I am going to try and finish that soon. I’d love another turn-based JRPG with a similar style.

11. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Ever since I was young, I’ve loved strategy guides. I love looking at the art and screenshots. So, I bought DQ IV-VI and VIII. In fact, VI didn’t have an online pdf, so I bought two copies and took one apart to scan and upload. I mainly like to use them on my iPhone so I always have them with me.

12. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    If it's a game I am not familiar with I will use a walkthrough but once I have it down I don't use it anymore
    I don't need one for games like FFVII and VIII but I do for most all DQ games

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Gonna pick up a couple vita games this week
    What do you guys think about the Persona series
    I’m thinking of getting 1 and 2 to start with
    I do like Atlus games
    I may pick up a Ys title too
    I would get persona 3 or 4 but with only a 4GB memory card I have to watch my space for now until I can grab a bigger one soon

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    DQ Builders is on sale 27.99 right now for vita not sure if it’s a sale or permanent price drop but I am going to grab it for sure. The bonus is doesn’t take up much space. So I think I’m gonna get it and a Persona game just still deciding on which one. Also looking at Breath of Fire III or IV
    Which one do you guys like more for Breath of Fire?

15. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Persona 1/2 and Persona 3/4/5 are so different from each other that they're practically different series. I like both styles but for very different reasons. Heads-up: there are two parts to Persona 2. Innocent Sin is part 1 and was made available in English for the first time with the PSP remake. Eternal Punishment, part 2, also got a PSP remake but for silly reasons it was never released in English. Instead, Atlus re-released the old PS1 version which did get an English release back in the day. There are some name changes that might be a little confusing, and the localization isn't as good as their newer releases, but you should still play it.

DQ Builders is on sale at the moment as part of Sony's Golden Week sale, so get while the getting's good.

As for BoF, most people prefer BoF3 to BoF4. I like them both about the same, but I don't like either of them as much as the first two or the fifth. Decent RPGs for sure, though, and the spritework is fantastic.

16. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I got Dragon Quest Builders a while ago, and enjoy it. It's not my favorite style of game, but it is so well done. I just picked it up on PS4 despite SE not implementing cross save on it. And I picked up Persona 4 Golden on a sale a while back, but don't have enough space to install it at the moment. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is my escape at the moment. I need to pick it up on PS3 still because it does have cloud saves.

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Thanks! Yeah I see two Part II's for Persona guessing I should start with Persona 2 Innocent Sin and go in order and just grab them all eventually if I like them I am sure I will as I love all Atlus games currently i have Conception II (my first vita game) and I like it a lot. I am 100% grabbing DQ Builders on sale that's a must since it's the only DQ game for Vita. So strange there are no other DQ games sure wish DQIX was on Vita.

18. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Legend of Heroes is awesome I have the Trails In The Sky trilogy on mobile all 3 are on the Japan App Store so I can't wait to get a better memory card for cold steel
    i would get it now but I have a small memory card and I would like to pick up a few games that don't eat up space

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #2119 Dailon80, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    I wish DQVII was on Vita
    I have only played it in Japanese on mobile and many hours of playing it but I would love to play it English but I guess 3ds is the only one right? I do still have a PlayStation so I guess technically I could find the original ps version but I’m sure it would be expensive and it would be Dragon warriors VII on that version I think
    What consoles do you guys have?
    I have Xbox one, PS3, ps2, ps vita, (PS4 very soon next week or two), 3ds but that’s my youngest daughters I don’t mess with it much :), ds, wii, wiiu, and Sega genesis. The PS3 is my oldest daughters and she’s getting the PS4 so I will get to jam the PS3 a lot.. I’m sure I can find some games on there and can link it to my ps vita so that will be sweet

20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Disgaea 4 looks great... wish they had more from this series
    Just takes up a lot of space
    Down the road I want to try that series
    Have you guys played it?