How to get reveiewed at TouchArcade?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by aegoshin, Mar 26, 2009.

1. aegoshin

aegoshin Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Hi everyone
    Hi TouchArcade team!

I wrote several days ago to [email protected] - to present a pre-release info about our upcoming games ("The Treasures of Montezuma", "Magic Ball 2", "Tank-O-Box") with screenshots, game info and pricing. But unfortunatelly I have no answer.

Maybe forum post will be more suitable for TouchArcade team to see us?

Open to any questions! :)

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Ask the big man. They only post stories and info they like.

3. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    THE Magic Ball 2!?!? OMG! I was just about to post that in the games wishlist thread!

4. aegoshin

Jan 27, 2009
    :)) yeap, Magic Ball 2! It's "in review" at App Store now. I will send a PM to you when released, ok?

5. aegoshin

Jan 27, 2009
    "Big man" - you mean Blake or Arnold, TouchArcade.com editors, right?

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
  7. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
  8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You're better off just emailing [email protected], Arn goes through all of those and we use the codes to try out the games. That said, Touch Arcade does push out a lot of content with a small staff so usually only the big name titles, or games which are getting a lot of forum traffic make it to the front page.

Short of emailing us, post a thread and try to drum up some interest.

9. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Good luck on making it to the front page really excited for Magic Ball 2 do you know when it will be out?

10. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

It's tough to get coverage because, despite the fact that there is infinite internet space, there is limited shelf-space for news. This is simply because the folks running sites like Touch Arcade have a limited amount of time and so can never print everything. It's also true that readers want to read about the stuff they know (the big names) so sites have to give more time over to the EAs of this world.

You need to search out the various iPhone/Mac sites and magazines, check out their contact pages, then drop an introductory email letting them know who you are and what you do. Then just follow up with press releases/emails when you have something to announce. Try to keep it clear and simple...
    Your company name
    What you are announcing (new game, new update, etc)
    Clear bullets on the key features such as format/price/release date
    Links to your site
    Links to screen-shots/video
    Links to the game on App Store

If your game is topical or you can suggest a link to some current topic, such as an election sim at the time of an election, then mention that as press will often pick up on it.

Also, put some time and effort into your screenshots and video. 10 great screenshots are better than 50 random grabs. Take lots of screen-shots then sort through them and pick the ones that show the game off well. Just like "framing" a good photo you want to make sure the player character is clearly shown, that the screen is (where possible) full of action, that important items aren't obscured or cut off by the edge of the screen. Also pick a variety of screens from different parts of the game, not just the first level. - coding in a cheat to allow you to jump levels, a Pause mode that doesn't print "Paused" on screen and even a slo-mo mode will all help you to take/select better screens.

In short you are trying to help the press write about your title by making it as easy as possible. Don't just send them a link to your site and expact them to go and find all the information. Obviously all this takes time and your time is just as limited as the journalists but try to build up a contact list over time and you will start to get more coverage.

11. aegoshin

Jan 27, 2009
    Many 10x to everyone who replied. :)

Not sure in certain date... it is in review by Apple from 18 of March. And still in review. I hope it will be "ready for sale" state very soon.

You can check few screenshot here for now :)

12. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    :D I can't wait!

13. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Looks incredible thanks.