Universal Bug Heroes (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nekcik, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Kannon

Kannon Member

Dec 20, 2010
    #2801 Kannon, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Thanks for getting back at me for the video and yes, I understand why the game sessions shouldn't last that long, but what I don't understand is how, a lot of times the game just ends right there on the spot as soon as one hero dies (75% of my games end as soon as one hero dies, especially in early game when cash is so limited). It doesn't have to be like this, at all. While I can tolerate losing a game because of some bad luck, I can't really speak the same for many other folks. There are just times when you know your strategy is working out well and that feeling of accomplishment is just awesome, for a lack of better word. The times when things aren't working out so well, I would be at the edge of my seat the whole time searching for spare food, if not slowly being chipped away. And the game is the most fun when I am at the edge of my seat. Games like this are very rare, and Bug Heroes is one of those games. But having all that said, however, there is a difference between a satisfying death and just getting owned because of some dumb luck.

Either way, I don't see why the game couldn't be more forgiving but at the same time still providing similar challenges. I much rather be killed by say, an extra scorpion, or a bigger combination of bugs, or an extra centipede at my base, or the combination of these things — than being say, completely screwed by a Hungry Bug or Flea Gunner Team (for example). These two enemies in particular have enough firepower to kill a near full health hero in some situations, especially if they are attacking in groups. I don't understand why can't their damage have a diminishing return or something. I don't understand why Hero costs have to be so high to the point where losing one hero before round 40 already means you lost the game. Especially for a game where the player is so incredibly restricted in his vision that there's almost no way to anticipate what is actually a few feet away.

Other people might have another opinion, but I feel that the game is a lot more enjoyable when I can make more than a few basic upgrades; ie having at least 3 skills and upgraded weapons for all 3 heroes, as well as an upgraded base. Versus say, trying to defend a naked base with barely naked heroes. Perhaps this is why I tend to enjoy playing on Normal over Hard, or even Easy for some of the lesser capable heroes (hey, the game isn't as balanced as you think!).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    1. Round 150
    2. Round 170

I have made it to round 178 on Easy Attic, while there were countless number of "boring" rounds, however, by the time I was over 150 and after making a few mistakes, things have gotten so intense that it was perhaps the most entertaining time I have enjoyed playing Bug Heroes of all time. Playing in Easy is more fun in some cases, in the sense that it allows more room for experimentation, more room for mistakes, ultimately a more forgiving experience. To be sure though, it is almost "too forgiving" in its current state. My point isn't to make the game "easier", but just to illustrate that, for example, some hero combinations become workable as the game lets you survive to a point where you can actually buy enough upgrades to make them sustainable, for example.

Game balance is understandably something that makes or break a game like this. Right now, the balance is pretty good (a heck lot better than many other games anyway), but still far from perfect (in my opinion). I don't like how, for example, that the game basically requires us to have at least Spider or Fly in order to have a CHANCE to do some of the game quests, if for no other reason than that they are the only ones capable of traveling at good enough speeds. Some heroes are obviously a lot better than others late game with higher cash reserves, while some others are just too good from start to finish, etc etc. While I like to see better game balance in the future, I would love to see the game change in a drastic way, such that the game could provide me a more forgiving, satisfying experience as well as a faster pace game overall.

Finally, I would really like to say thanks for all the work put into this title. Words can't express how much fun I got out of Bug Heroes 2.0. If you guys are considering doing a sequel or a 3.0, I would LOVE LOVE to see a 3rd person view. Like this picture that was wrongly advertised :p:

[​IMG]

The game looks so much more epic in this view. With this view, the game would have to be rebalanced. Rebalancing the game from time to time isn't necessarily a bad thing, just look at WoW.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant/comment.

2. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    #2802 Fastbridge, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think its the view when eqip is being equip/dequiped. It does look sick though

3. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Second on kitchen hard with no exploits. Could have kept going but until update is released there's no point because we don't know what scores are real or used exploits. In the beginning I didnot like the upgrades to hard mode. Less money per kill was tough but I just needed to take on more quests. My favorite hero by far is worm. He is amazing and with out him I could not have gotten that far. He's the hero I needed for my style of game play. I hope this update is out soon because I don't really want to play with out it.

4. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    A little help please? On my insectopedia I'm only missing 4 bug enemies their between crabbie & Pincer ant. Can someone please tell which 4 they are? & from which map? Thanks

5. Takamichi

Takamichi Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Coliseum mode, picnic battlefield :) to complete ur insectopedia

6. WCFields

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Thank you very much!

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Dang I still haven't been able to make it past round 20 on normal Restaurant. No matter what combination of heroes I use.

Anyone have any tips on what heroes are best to use on Restaurant?

8. Takamichi

Takamichi Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I used fly bettle and worms

Fly for money n walk trough poison
    Beetle to knockback bugs on d brige and stun all of them
    Worms for nuke, claymore and killing horde of bugs

I reached round 27 but too bad no wi fi to post my score, and some mistake with the tower strategy

Culvi MG
    MG MG

I would go for 4 MG next time since restaurant had too many small bugs

9. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #2809 Tower Defender, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    I just picked up this game this week and boy this game is fun.

I ended up buying all the IAPs too.

What I found was the Mite makes everything easier with his turret building ability, along with the food processor ability :),

especially on maps where it is hard to gather food.

Oh and IDEA on a new unit

I got this idea when playing the fly and his ability to hire 2 extra buddies to gun with him. Why not expand on this and make a new

unit that is mob based.

What I had in mind was...

Tick
    Primary Weapon: Pistols
    Units: 3
    Defense: Low
    HP: High
    Speed: Low
    Damage: Low (Individually) Medium (Together)

Description: The tick comes in a group of 3 units that are banded together. Each initially carry a pistol as a weapon and have slow rate of fire. They all have a "rebel" look and the middle tick has a red bandanna to signify him as the leader.

Upgrades:
    Increase HP
    Increase Speed
    Battle Cry: With each bar increase the members of your team fires their gun 10% faster.
    Leadership: For each individual tick on your team, you gain 2.5% defense and speed with each bar increase.

Weapons Upgrades:
    Level 2: Better Weapons: Your team members (Not the leader, but pistol ticks only]) will gain assault rifles. Assault Rifles fire 3 shot bursts, but have the same cool down in-between bursts.

Level 3: Even Better Weapons: Your team members (Not the leader, but pistol ticks only) will gain light machine guns. LMGs fire 5 shot bursts, do slightly more damage per a bullet, but have the same cool down in-between bursts.

Ability upgrades:

Reinforcements: $1000
    Add 2 additional pistol ticks to your team. If you activate this you will gain a moderate defense boost. 20 second cool down.

Command and Conquer: $800
    The leader will gain a commanders cap, sunglasses, and pipe. Your team members, including yourself will gain a slight boost in all

stats. If you activate this your team members will receive a large increase in all stats. 1 minute cool down.

Honorary Rifle: $1000
    The leader will gain a rifle weapon that will replace its pistol. The rifle deals medium damage on its own and has long range. When activated, the rifle will fire a single shot dealing heavy damage. 20 second cool down.

Honorary Revolver: $1000
    The leader will gain a revolver weapon that will replace its pistol. The revolver deals medium damage on its own and has medium range. Its rate of fire is faster then the pistols, but it has a long reload after every 5 shots. When activated all 5 rounds are
    fired at 5 different targets within the instant. If there are not 5 targets the revolver fire will hit the first target again and repeat. (For example, if there is only 1 target, all 5 rounds will hit the single target) 1 minute cool down.

Porta-Firecracker $1000
    Add 1 additional special tick to your team. You can only have 1 special tick on your team at a time. Porta-Firecracker can only fire when team is not moving. He fires a mortar like mini-firecracker that can hit long distances, dealing heavy damage and medium splash damage. It has a slow refire rate. When activated, his refire rate will x4 for 10 seconds. 1 minute recharge.

Porta-Laser $1200
    Same as above, but has laser weapon. When activated, his refire rate will x4 for 10 seconds. 1 minute recharge.

Porta-Magnifier $1500
    Same as above, and works like the base turret. When activated he is able to fire at night as well. 30 second recharge.

Porta-Food Processor $1000
    Same as above. Works like the base tower. When activated he is able to produce food x4 the normal rate for 10 seconds. 2 minute cool down.

Etc. on the base turret units.

What do you guys think of the idea? :D

10. krakencalamari

Feb 26, 2011
    I like the concept, but it sounds crazily good (read: imbalanced).

The five shot pistol burst is an interesting weapon. It would be good to see it implemented as the normal weapon for a new hero. Adds an additional dimension to the new hero, much like how worm's weapon pierces through enemies and how termite's drill pushes small enemies away. You know, something that makes the hero even more different to play.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #2811 Ayjona, Apr 27, 2011
    I've always been fond of the idea of treating several smaller characters as one unit in games. And the Tick squad certainly seems well executed, so nice work!

However, I can't immediately identify which purpose/role/function the Ticks would serve. Are they high damage dealers (seems most likely), and if so, against groups or heavily armoured enemies? (The latter would require some armour piercing on weapons/abilities, most probably.) Or are they ranged support?

Also, a tad too many of the abilities seemed geared towards doing damage or increasing offensive or defensive stats (all but the Porta-Food Processor). Even high-damage units such as Spider and Ladybug have a few support and crowd control abilities.

They seem a bit too narrow in scope, with only one support ability, no crowd control, and lots and lots of passive damage upgrades.

While the idea is really cool, I'm not too fond of autotargeting in general, and especially not in Bug Heroes, a game built partially on precisions and reflexes (don't even mention the auto-aim option ;) ), where most active offensive abilities (such as Spider's, Beetle's and Ladybug's special melee attacks) requires aiming, and where even some of the AoEs require at least a modicum of timing (Spider's bomb, for example).

Letting the revolver fire 5 *very* powerful shots in rapid succession, but still with enough milliseconds in between for the players to turn and aim at different targets if they so wish, would make for a very cool but still skill-based special attack. Perhaps add a special effect that makes an enemy immune after the first hit, thus *requiring* players to spread the bullets around (a drawback that could justify each shot being particularly powerful).

12. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Ahh! So Fly can walk over poison, eh? I always wanted to try it, but was too afraid. Thanks for the tips!

Also, when is the best time to use Barter? When you have a small amount of food or a large amount? Is it merely based on chance?

And are Termite's turrets actually worth it? How much damage to they do?

I thought about a new ability for one of the heroes. To be able to just pick up food and then have it automatically transported to the food stash, if it's not full, from where you are. So you won't have to walk (or teleport) all the way back to the base to stash it.

13. WCFields

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    I think I'll try this myself, seeing as I can't seem to make past the late teens.

14. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    I tried it just now and Worm just got slaughtered so fast, only cuz I was foolish enough to let him face a Hungry Armored bug by himself. Luckily it was cheap enough to revive him.

15. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #2815 iJay, Apr 27, 2011
    okay, so here is Kannon talking about getting round 108 on normal restruant:
    and video:
    and here are the turrets and abilities he was using in the video.

16. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    #2816 ninjackid, Apr 27, 2011
    Sweet! Lotsa good info there. Thanks!

EDIT: Since he says Termite's turrets aren't that powerful, should I substitue Termite for another hero, like Hopper?

17. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    you could if you want. but it might be worth trying termite...
    if you do switch him out, I would recommend either ant (for his support abilities), or spider (for his high damage abilities), or maybe even worm.

18. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, plus I forgot Termite has Food Cultivator. That's worth it.

By the way. what are the best abilities for Worm? I hardly use him, as I don't find much use for him.

19. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I haven't used him a lot yet, so you are better off asking Oxynidus.
    but from what I do know, exploding bullets is very useful, and autocannon can be real powerful.
    and pro-tip: worm's riot gear weapon knocks devourers off the table in one shot. (this is being fixed in the update.)

20. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Ok thanks a lot for the tips! I'll remember to use them.