Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. CastlePage

CastlePage Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    New PP game fast coin strategy

A few posts ago, I suggested a competition for fast coin strategy for a new PP game. Here's my submission to my own competition :p

The assumption here is that class 3 (zero upgrades) airports generate more jobs per job refresh. Plus, you can use bigger planes. So the idea is to buy Class 3 airport asap.

1. Start a new PP game in Asia. You should have 30,000 coins at the start.
    2. Fly the planes from Sapporo and Sendai to Osaka (can't rmb the city names. Anyway, fly the planes to the class 2 city). Catch coins and bux along the way.
    3. Sell the Sapporo and Sendai (the class 1 airports). Together with the coins caught in step 2, buy Shenyang, the cheapest class 3 city in that region.
    4. Aim to open the next class 3 airport.

There are several ways to achieve step 4:
    • If unfunded, just fly the planes between Osaka and Shenyang until you earn enough coins to open another class 3 city.
    • If funded, you can receive some planes (from others or yourself) to help. No point gifting large planes because you don't have enough bux to build them. I suggest a couple of Mohawks (cheap to build, fast to fly).
    • Of course, you can always sell plane parts until you amass 50k. But I think some flying is still needed to earn some bux to build planes.
    • Regardless of method chosen, catch coins and bux while flying will speed up this process..

5. Where to open 2nd class 3 airport?
    • If funded, and enough coins to build a sequoia, then choose Tehran or some farther Class 3 so that you can start your sequoia runs to earn coins.
    • If unfunded, choose a nearby class 3 city that your small planes can reach.
    • If funded but less than 24 bux (to build sequoia), you can either wait till you get 24 bux and open a far class 3 city, or open a near class 3 city for faster coin collection. You can always sell your class 2 city to raise coin for the 3rd class 3 city. Just remember to have at least 2 airports open at any time.

That's how I started my secondary PP game on iPhone4. I opened Shenyang, then Seoul, then Tehran. Gifted myself 2 mohawks at the beginning, and when Tehran was opened, a couple of sequoias.

2. seattleheli

seattleheli Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Ugh, Seoul was closed like two hours ago, and now Shanghai is closed. What a night.

3. seattleheli

seattleheli Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Alright, I screwed something up. I was trying to setup a new GC account on my iPhone so that I could start another game of PP "fresh" while playing my current game on my Mac. I was following this post: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2595694&postcount=10575 but apparently didn't do it correctly (already had PP on my phone, not a new device) and even under the new GC account, opening up PP resulted in my current game being loaded (as opposed to a new one). So, I decided to abort this plan, deleted PP from my phone, logged back into my old GC account, and reinstalled PP, opened it up and....a fresh game. However, this is NOT good, because I'm afraid it will reset my current game on my Mac since these are under the same account.

As it stands, I've deleted PP again from my phone until someone here can help salvage the situation. PP is running fine on my Mac at the moment. Basically, I need help getting my old saved game that's running on my Mac, onto my phone again.

Thanks, folks.

4. alyssacroacia

alyssacroacia Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA

So.....is this for people with multiple iOS devices?

5. SuperPenguin17

SuperPenguin17 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I do! :)

That's how I keep 8 Cloudliner M going from LA to Tokyo without layovers or plains stacking up.

6. tfrichards92

tfrichards92 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Make sure you have icloud sync turned off in pocket pilots. It took me a couple of tries to get a second PP started on my old 3gs, and my god, is it slow.. :/

7. Harmoniamundi

Harmoniamundi Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Teacher/Musician
    Ohio
    Nimblebit's suggestions for loading from iCloud are very detailed and have always worked for me...when I follow the order correctly! I posted the link a few dozen pages back, I think, but its under support on their site. I have had the bulk of problems going back and forth from the Mac, not my iOS devices. You may need to keep following the steps until it finally "takes" Also, watch for XP and planes lining up, but not coins and bux! I usually have to force quit a few times on the iOS device to sync completely coming directly from the copy on Mac. Also, you can try landing a few planes right before you shut down and restart game on your Mac...then give it some time and restart with your phone. You'll fix it eventually, but protect your Mac version like it was gold!

8. tfrichards92

Dec 10, 2012
    Aly,

I'm playing a second game of PP from scratch on my old iphone 3gs to experiment with starting up strategies. I'm trying the east asia methodology that Castlepage(?) mentioned a few posts back. I'm flying back and forth from shenyang(3) to osaka(2) with the starting 4 planes.

I have no idea how I managed to stay interested in this game in the beginning since it is slow development....

9. tfrichards92

Dec 10, 2012
    Faye:

Thank you so much for the parts, can you please let me know what you want me to send back to you?

tim

10. MacSym42

MacSym42 Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    France
    Great tips. When you have got enought coins, you buy London then New York then Los Angeles isn't it ? (To make a straight line)

11. SuperPenguin17

SuperPenguin17 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2013
    @tfrichards92

Just saw your PM..

Add me and we will work out a trade.

12. PocketDaddy45

PocketDaddy45 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Minnesota
    MacSym, help!

What am I doing wrong? I'm following your bux strategy but am just getting frustrated.

I have 3-Cyclone M's on Bux route. Same route as yours except Cairo instead of Tehran.

They seem to sit and sit and sit and no bux jobs except 2 or 3 bux jobs show up. Do I just need to be more patient? How often do your planes fill with good Bux jobs?

13. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks! Much appreciated. I am a professional computer engineer (a hybrid betwen electrical engineer and software engineer), so I suppose that's why I have the "mind of a researcher". :)

Yes, it did indeed take some careful work to reach an airline value of exactly 2,147,483,647. I kept an eye on the value as I was getting close, and stopped most of my planes from taking off to ensure I didn't accidentally go over. When I got within a thousand coins or so, I sold some Supergopher-P mystery parts at 376 coins each to get closer. Then I used a Huey between Paris and London to get closer still, and finally used an empty hot air balloon to catch four large coins and three small coins for the final 43.

14. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
    I currently have 50 planes in operation out of 56 slots available. I have 18 open cities, 16 of which are fully upgraded level 3 cities plus Honolulu and Sydney (level 2).

The app crashes for me every job cycle, sometimes twice per cycle. :mad:

15. MacSym42

MacSym42 Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    France
    When you start the strategie, you need to be patient to fill your planes.
    Check the job list at each job refresh to load the maximum of bux jobs.
    Send your planes only when the P or C slots capacity are full (load some coins jobs to fill the planes when P or C are full).

16. MacSym42

MacSym42 Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    France
    I have two questions :

- Does the coins from a bux exchange give xp ?
    - I can't do the achievement in Easter Island. It's indicate that I'm at 99%, so I send a plane to EI but the achievement is not done. Is there Anobody in the same case ?

17. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
    XP is only gained from flying. You don't level up after a bux exchange.

There have been many bugs with achievements in the past (and described a few hundred pages ago in this forum thread!) With the Easter Island etc. achievements, the counters have never been accurate. It took me about 150 jobs for 100 to register. Are you saying that you are stuck at 99% indefinitely? Or just after the one plane was sent? Try a few more...

18. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
    I love the Sci-Fi Convention event

Caption this image:

[​IMG]

Best reply gets a starship engine

19. MacSym42

MacSym42 Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    France
    I tried 6-7 times, nothing :(
    I've to wait an udapte. Thanks for reply.

20. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
    The official Nimblebit answer was to press "RESET AWARDS" on the settings page and start over... :mad:

Most of the achievements re-trigger immediately or soon afterwards, but you will have to start from scratch for the Honolulu, Easter Island, Punta Arenas, Barrow, Tiksi and Mahajanga achievements if you have already closed the airports. If you haven't, the achievement will re-trigger after a single landing at the respective airport. I had to do some of these events three times before I finally got them all registered correctly in Game Center! (And that was delivering 150-200 jobs for each one just to get 100 of them counted!)