Wayward Souls (Mage Gauntlet spinoff by Rocketcat)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

what do you mean she looks hard to use? the controls are pretty good. I'll say some monsters are annoying though.

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Stop holding so you live. I just died on the boss.The music is as amazing as the graphics and gameplay.

On to round two today.

3. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    The controls are awesome, the mage is hard though. Shes weak and has to kite everything with directional attacks.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    C'mon, enter MLG Pro Gaming mode

5. Chris Brady

Chris Brady Active Member

You gotta be pretty purple by now.

6. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This promo contest would be the perfect twitch stream. Wish I could record.

7. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    that would be epic, non-stop stream of people trying to complete the challenge. Too bad you can't natively stream in iOS...

off topic: finally made it to the 2nd boss, it gets hairy! I think he was almost finished when his minions overwhelmed me... game gets better every time I play it... except for those damn slime enemies, i friggin hate them!

8. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    There's a master mode that sheds more light on the story when you replay

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I love being purple

10. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    Nope I didn't but I can imagine that being nuts!
    I dunno if this thread will spike with activity or go silent from all of us playing furiously haha

11. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Goooood morning Vietnam!

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I've had the honor of spending the last few hours with Wayward Souls and can honestly speak nothing but good about it. I dunno what it is about Rocketcat, but they've got a knack for creating instant classics. Whether it was the Hook series, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet or now Wayward Souls...bloody hell, these guys are truly a force to be reckoned with, not just on mobile, but gaming as a whole.

First things first, it need not to be said that the game is a total package. It's a universal app with retina graphics, no advertisements, no visible in-app purchases, achievements and is polished up the wahzoo. It's what we've come to expect from these guys and is nothing short of stellar. As NEG mentioned, everything (including the kitchen sink) can be found in the game, whether it's control options, screen rotation, etc. Oh, and hats...lots of delicious ****ing hats. :)

I don't want to call Wayward Souls a spin-off of Mage Gauntlet since this game was the original idea behind MG, but the first thing you'll notice is that they look extremely similar. Now, the same thing could be said for all of Rocketcat's titles, but if you're a long-time fan, you wouldn't want it any other way. Even on a 3GS, Hook Champ's pixels were popping with so much life and that trademark style is still present in Wayward Souls in full retina and it's still unmistakable and still oozing character. There's so much attention to detail in the characters, the backgrounds and foregrounds are equally as gorgeous and the lighting is a pixel-junkies wildest dream come true. I could spend hours and hours talking about how great this game looks, but I'm sure everyone reading this has already had a taste of Rocketcat, so there's no point in that.

Now, considering the majority of my time has been spent in the first area of the game, I'm not sure how much variation there is in the music, but it's another highlight so far. The narrow, deep and dark corridors are matched with an equally dark, moody, yet atmospheric and catchy soundtrack that, also something WS has in common with Mage Gauntlet.

I realize by now you're wondering when the hell I'm going to stop comparing Wayward Souls to Mage Gauntlet...but, I can't really. Let's just say Wayward is Gauntlet's younger, much, much, much more sinister brother. The following is going to seem like Wayward Souls 101, but I'm writing it so that even someone who's net yet familiar with the game can understand. While it may look pretty much the same and has the same absolutely flawless controls, gone is all "linearity" from MG. Even though you have 3 checkpoints/areas, everything is procedurally generated. That means no two games will be alike...which in turn means infinite replayability, even if there is an endgame. Not only that, if you take Gauntlet's difficulty and turn it up to 11, you get Wayward's difficulty. Right from the ****ing start. The game can be relentless if you're not familiar with rogue-likes and permadeth means you're going to be cussing a HELL of a lot right from the start. I'll be completely honest and say that I was expecting less from the game and thought I'd be able to complete my challenge right from the start. I purposely avoided watching any recent videos of the game, so booting it up for the first time truly felt like booting it up for the first time. EVER. I've already said it once in this thread, but I'll say it again...I got lucky beating the first boss with the skin of my teeth. I could've STILL been at it.

Also, unlike Mage Gauntlet's one main character, you've got six here. Whether it's a warrior, mage, rogue, etc, the first feel you get for the game is that each character could have had their own separate game. No two play alike, and the fact that you have separate progression (unlockable areas), upgrades and medals for each means you'll be playing this game for a long, long, loooooooong time (especially since there's a massive update due soon which expands the world considerably [yus, tenk u TA pewdcast]). Not only that, just going by the first area and a little bit of the second, you can see a ton of enemy types, each with their own beautifully animated/gorgeous/horrible/annoying/bad-ass/varied attacks and attack patterns and I can't wait to see what Wayward Souls holds within it's devious, deadly, dangerous, dastardly halls...

...so much that I think I'm going to cut this short (heh, is anyone still reading this? :p) and get right back to playing this awesome, awesome, awesome game. :)

PS: If this "review" comes off as a little "kiss-assy" towards Rocketcat/Kepa, forgive me. It has nothing to do with the fact that I got a promo code, but for one reason and one reason only: PLAY THE ****ING GAME AND I DARE YOU NOT TO TURN INTO A GIANT FANBOY! ;)

13. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    ^ that's awesome! I'm so pumped. 3 more days and I shall have this beauty in my hands. I'm so glad to hear it's a great game, and it seems like it's pretty darn challenging as well.

14. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY

Thanks for making the wait until Wednesday night seem even longer. Two years for tracking progress coming to a head. Jealous of all those who got to play and the next few days are definitely going to drag.

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    C'mon scotty

16. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Taken from the press kit

"Basically like how we wanted Mage Gauntlet to be, now designed for extreme replay value."
    -
    This game is awesome

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Metalcasket that's not sufficient feedback

18. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    Can you guys please add what device you're using so we can have an inpression?

19. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    You're joking.

20. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    As I said, one does not simply activate MLG Pro Gaming Mode, they are forged and created with it.