The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos

I am not looking forward to that part at all ha
    Geez us

2. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Finished up FF Dimensions last night. I'd intended to give an interim update as to how it was going, but never got the chance to type much.

Basically, the gap between the light and the dark crew only grew when I found a perfect grinding spot with non-threatening enemies and a mid-dungeon healing point. The Light team ended up a full 10 levels higher than the Dark team and had some neat fusion abilities, so when we got down to business and I could finally select my own party, I just threw Nacht in because he was the furthest along in Ranger and called it a day.

Once chapter 4 started, I found another good grinding point and finished off a couple of the character builds I was working on, which left me with the following final party:

Sol: Master Monk w/STR+20% and Counter
    Diana: Seer with Doublecast
    Aigis: Paladin with mastered Bard secondary
    Dusk: Monk with mastered Dragoon secondary
    Nacht: Ninja with mastered Ranger secondary

So, basically every boss battle devolved into the following:

Sol: Attack
    Diana: Berserk Sol, then start doublecasting either Holy twice or Holy / spread Curaga
    Aigis: Fusion Ability Mighty Wall round 1, Hastega round 2
    Dusk: Fusion Ability Final Heaven if party at high HP; F-Ability White Wind otherwise
    Nacht: Spreadshot

The only boss that gave me significant trouble was the one that absorbed Holy. As one might imagine. Nacht was the star of that show. The only other boss that made me think was the final boss, who has Ye Standard Reduce You All To Single Digit HP Attack. Elixir on Dusk, White Wind, we're back in business.

I also was able to breeze through much of chapter 4 thanks to picking up a Moogle Charm, which was invaluable and saved me several hours. I finished right at 35 hours.

3. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I'm in the dark world in FFIII. I'm finding a lot of things frustrating. The grinding, the job system, the enemy formations... but I do like the kids and the story scratches a lot of itches even as it piles on trope after trope. I'll push on for now.

I've got a level 99 Warrior, Thief, White Wizard, and Black Wizard. The amount of time spent getting there makes me never want to change jobs again.

4. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I did not count on how horrible the armor choices would get as time went by for the warrior. I'm going to try to hold out until I get the final set of jobs before I switch classes to Knight/Ninja/Devout/Magus so I can grind all at once. Wheeee :/

5. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Oh what a difference the sunken cave made. Serious jumps in levels, gil, weapons, and armors. Feeling much better about my original plan to stay as Warrior/Thief/W.Wiz/B.Wiz until Onion Knight time.

6. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I know a LOT has changed in the DS/iOS version, but that was, at least, a viable plan in the original as well (except we were looking forward to Ninja and Sage instead of Onion Knight). I emulated fhe game in Palm OS. I think I did two warriors instead of thief and warrior, but it worked like a charm.

7. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Got the final job set and decided to grind out Knight/Ninja/Devout/Magus. So dead halt again while I work on FFIII.

8. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Or maybe not. I reverted back to my original Warrior/Thief/W.Wiz/B.Wiz set up to loot Eureka and get the Ultima Weapon. I ended up getting the Legendary weapons for those four classes and now I'm seriously thinking I'll just make a run at the end with these guys. I need to level, I'm only in the mid 40's and the idea of gaining levels and job levels feels like too much grinding.

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #1669 Dailon80, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Ubisoft has launched a new Might & Magic game and right now it's on the Canada App Store in soft launch so of course it's FTP. I am getting it now and will report back on it. Not a fan of FTP much but i do like the Might & Magic series so I will give it a shot.

Update: this one is hard to say it def has all the FTP mechanics that most don't like so there's that
    The battles are nice on the eyes with good graphics and so on
    The best game I can compare this too is the OZ RPG game
    Not one I will play for a long time but may play here and there as a time waster
    And when combining all the things about this game into one I would say it's a mix of Oz, Skullgirls, and Dynasty Warriors the latter two meaning the FTP mechanics stuff

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Interesting. I haven't played a Might & Magic game since my old Motorola V400 flip phone. But I also don't like the FTP shenanigans of most games. Well, except FFBE. They've really given us a ton of stuff for the 1 year anniversary. I'm sitting on almost 400 NRG at the moment. Guess I need to play more and stop pulling characters or running around doing free quests.

11. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Yeah I like brave exvius and record keeper
    They seem pretty fair and you can play in small doses but I have a hard time liking any
    Other ftp games this one included

12. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I got frustrated with FFIII and decided to push on into the dark world rather than do any more grinding. I'm level 50 across the board with level 99 job levels for the Warrior/Thief/W.Wiz/B.Wiz. I'd normally be terrified to do this but I do have the legendary weapons for the classes and my team is able to kick out around 40,000-50,000 damage a round if they all go on the offense. Advance with Ultima Weapon and Giant Axe is a beautiful thing.

I've beat Xande and am working through the big boss rush. Here we go.

13. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Everyone ready for the August playalong? I'm pretty excited - it's one of those on my to-do list and this is the kick I need to get started. Completely lost steam on KotOR - but that's because I was trying to play iPad only. Sticking with the phone this time, and putting the Switch down!

14. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Wait, do we know what August is yet?

Beat FFIII over lunch time. That final boss rush was tough, but I beat it. Whew. On to FFII.

A few thoughts:

The job system didn't work. It's simply too annoying and without being able to do any customization it felt useless. I pretty much stayed in my first crystal jobs all the way to the end. Maybe in the original release I'd be tempted to switch, but once you've maxed a job it's hard to even justify trying another one.

The story mostly worked, but I really wish the Cloud hadn't just come out of no where. That was super annoying.

This wasn't as bad as I'd heard FFIII was, but yeah, it would be in the bottom half for sure.

On to my least favorite one, FFII...

15. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #1675 RHess00, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Shaun gave some hints a few months ago. August was...But we're still hungry. It's a pretty major RPG but you might not get the reference if you haven't played it in a while.

Oh and you really should try FF II solo. The beginning is a little rough but by the end you're evasion will be so high nothing will touch you. Add in Osmose to sap MP and you're good to go.

16. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Had to google that. That will be a big replay. Don't own the game yet but it's on my want list. Maybe it's time to pull that trigger.

A solo run through FFII sounds fun. I hate that game quite a bit and doing something to shake it up may be the way to go. What weapon did you choose if I may ask?

17. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I used swords and I went with a shield instead of dual wielding. If you're solo, it's more important to evade than having that extra attack.

18. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks! If I were going in with the group, I was going to barehand it with a strong magic focus. Solo with sword/shield/magic sounds good.

19. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I don't remember using a lot of magic but Teleport is great for one shoting bosses. If you end up doing it, I'm looking forward to seeing how your experience compares to mine.

20. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I finished up Persona Q this morning. Now ready to play along with the August game - I dug out my copy of the DS version this afternoon when my wife took over baby duty. Hard to justify spending the $10 on it on iOS when I'm afraid of the controls and I already have a handheld version available. But I should be here poking along at it with you folks.

I might try to change up my party this time through - I have a habit of settling in with the same couple of characters and using the same strategies. But we'll see about that when we get there...