why nintendo should go on app store

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by itouchbd, Aug 13, 2011.

1. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    i understand that nintendo doesn't want to make new games for the iphone unfortunately i think it would take a big economic fall for this to happen in nintendo. but a thing they could do is port older games to the iphone such as super mario or zelda. i desperately want to have kingdom hearts and super smash bros for the iphone. they could make money just doing ports and keep us somewhat satisfied. eventually they will be forced to make games for the iphone i think. look at square enix charging high amounts for games. nintendo could do that if they put out a good enough game. any games you want to see on the appstore from nintendo

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Why you should learn how to use TA....

3. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    How much are you willing to pay for these games? Are you willing to pay $35 for Kingdom Hearts on the iPhone, because it has never sold for any cheaper then that on any gaming platform for which it has appeared.

You willing to pay $40.00 for Super Smash Brothers?

When you consider Apple's 30-percent fee, I cannot imagine any of these Nintendo ports would cost less then $9.99. Even the NES and GBA and GBC ports would run 9.99.

4. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    I´d love to have Zelda - Links Awakening. Go for it, Nintendo. :)

5. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Taking this from a different forum, which sums it up nicely:

"As you may have read in the news, Nintendo investors are putting pressure on Nintendo to start making games for Apple’s iOS platform. This idea obviously sprung to life when Pokemon Co. announced its iPhone game and Nintendo share value did its first little happy dance in a long time.

Personally I think this would be a bad idea.

Now, as you know I am a big supporter of the idea of Nintendo going software only. They lost the knack for creating competitive hardware and when it comes to applications, operating systems, infrastructures and other non-game software they never knew how to make that in the first place. Playing Zelda or Metroid with PS3 graphics and a dual shock 3 seems like a really appealing proposition. One less console to buy, better quality graphics and controls, etc.

Going iOS means going full-on casual. And though the DS and Wii libraries were 99.9% casual/children/family games already it will be a different ballgame getting into the casual mass gaming market on the iOS platform. It’s an insanely whimsical, volatile and dynamic market. Games are sold based on their individual qualities/popularity and hardly ever based on the fame/status of the developers behind it.

Nintendo have proven with every generation that their life depends on their loyal fanbase, people who recognize the Nintendo brand and want to know exactly what they’ll get before even buying a game. This is the total opposite of what the App market is like (and just looking at the eShop you can tell that Nintendo have no idea how appstores work).

Also, Nintendo need their own platform to determine the tempo of innovation. I doubt they would be able to cope with the quick rate of upgrades and innovation on the iOS platform. Things go slowly over at Nintendo HQ. They still haven’t come to grips with online mechanisms, whereas you see iOS developers jumping on every new feature Apple introduces literally within hours of releasing a new OS or device.

Although I tend to disagree with most of Nintendo’s managerial decisions lately, I believe this would be a disastrous move for them to make and the investors/analysts are clearly wrong here."

Also, yeah, iOS users are now too spoiled (incl. me) to pay 35 dollars for a mobile game.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I have to disagree with you. Square Enix is proving that there is a market for expansive, satisfying game experiences-- and at a premium price, too. The market is 95% casual right now, but it's only going to become more and more of a dedicated gaming device as companies start to realize that there is actually space to invest. It might take awhile, though.

7. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Nintendo should target the market of gamers who played classic Nintendo Games (Pokemon, Zelda, Mario) in their youth. Those gamers usually won´t buy a separate handheld anymore, but would be very happy to relive their childhood by purchasing those games on the App Store.

8. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I believe that if Nintendo sold Virtual Consle games on the appstore they could make a decent bit of money. However this could only happen if Nintendo went all software, due to the fact that Nintendo exclusives(even their old exclusives) are pretty much the only thing that keep their hardware markets thriving.

On another note, if you personally would like to play some Nintendo games on your ipod, you may want to make your way over to the "Emulation" section :D

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I think Nintendo can try an experiment of porting maybe 2-3 select games and see how they do. They can experiment with pricing with these games. I do think they shouldn't price it at 0.99 or something low. If they price it high enough (like Square...), mostly the people whose really interested will buy, and leave appropriate reviews...

10. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think Nintento have a long way to go before they start doing this, while they definitely have a slipping market share they are still putting big bucks into their hardware.

The iPhone doesn't have anything like the 3DS display, yet! Nor does it have real button controls. Translating their current games to touch input is not an easy task.

I think it will be a few years before we see any cross-overs from Nintendo, if at all...

That said, I'd love to play 4-8 player Mario Kart via an iPad hooked to a TV and wirelessly controled by iPhones :D

11. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    If you want nintendo games go buy a nintendo console. Nintendo will never put games on the app store.

12. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    That's what you think! They are forced to now, otherwise they will go bankrupt. Do some learning.....

13. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    lolol their not gonna go bankrupt thats crazy too even say that. The wii is current winner of this generation consoles and the ds sold better than the gameboy. The 3ds is selling not so good but once some really cool games will come out it will pick up in sales. Its stupid to think nintendo will put out cheap games on the app store, and they have their own store that sells the old games for cheap.

14. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Oh well go and read the news mate.....

DS is shit and they are losing money on the device. The games nor the device are selling. Unless they enter the IOS market we won't be seeing any new Nintendo consoles for a while....

15. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    lol ive been reading the news and Nintendo is doing fine. And you say the DS is shit? Its the best handheld ever! I dont even think IOS is a threat to the real hand held consoles. The ds has amazing quality games that are worth the price tag. And IOS games have cheap quick games, with some quality ones.

16. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Uhhhh I hate to say this, but 2 months is way too short to form an opinion on iOS gaming. And btw, what u said is an opinion. U have no idea of the rate that iOS is progressing. And it's clear tons of people prefer iOS gaming to ds's. Every year, it cuts a ton more outta Sony and nintendo's share of the handheld gaming market. Hate to break it to u, but iOS is why nintendo is failing....

17. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Nintendo isnt failing though, look at the DS sales.

18. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    They are failing mate.......... Check out their stocks.....

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    They're way too heavily invested in the Wii U at this point - there is no way they would not follow through with that before jumping ship.

And while the 3DS is faltering, the DS is still kicking some serious butt (and is a decent console to boot!)

20. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

LOL! Yeah, this is going to happen ... on Opposite World.

Newsflash for you: stocks go up and down all the time. Up. Down. Up. Down. Businesses run through cycles all the time. Good. Bad. Good. Bad. This has been going on since the 14th century.

Might want to take your own advice there, sport ...