Universal Super Mashteroids

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by The Binary Crucible, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 The Binary Crucible, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Do you love classic shoot em ups? Then you have come to the right place!

Super Mashteroids is about to be released on the App Store! The game is a mash-up of many classic arcade titles together with Asteroids - fast, fun and very, very hard!

Pure pixel insanity at 60fps!

(Sorry there is no music in the youtube video, I had trouble with capture - the game actually has a full soundtrack created by chip tune legend I Am Your Destruction)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Do you remember the 80's?

Play in Game Boy mode and re-live your childhood!

[​IMG]

3. Maybe the Commodore 64 was more your era? You can play with that graphics mode too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #4 Qwertz555, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    After watching the video, call me very interested in this nostalgia.
    No, not to test (what and where is UDID?), only to buy your game, if it has
    top-notch relative touch controls and Gamecenter right off the bat !

It's free with an unlock the whole game iap - Price doesn't matter to me.

It has a crappy timer/energy system - No comment.

Edit: I quit buying/downloading games without Gamecenter. Makes no sense to me to chase a highscore without compairing to the best out there. And promises from the Devs, it will come in the next version, holds me off, too.

Looks like you found your testers since your description has changed as well as saying it beeing free.

5. Hi Qwertz555,

thanks for bringing those points up. I want to assure you and everybody else too that I am totally against timer/energy pay-per-play and ALL monetization mechanisms like that.

- The game has ads in the menus ONLY
    - You can play classic mode as many times as you want for free (this is the full game but without any power ups)
    - Playing classic mode will give you a credit every few minutes to play the other game modes for free (power up mode, and all the challenges)
    - There is ONE in app purchase to enable free play so you never need to worry about credits again (it also disabled ads forever). I will NEVER make a game where I nickle and dime the player, or hobble the gameplay to aid monetization, or anything like that. I am old school and don't make games for any publisher - just what I like, and I do NOT like screwing kids out of hundreds of dollars with unethical IAP's

There is also a game center leaderboard for every game mode already implemented in the first version - really how could I not have that, it's all about the score in a game like this :)

Oh yes, relative touch is the control mechanism - I will never understand how anybody can play a touch screen shooter without that, it just makes no sense!

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    What a great attitude, thanks. Instabuy day one and good luck !

7. Thank you! I really think you will enjoy the game, I've been playing it myself all through development and I'm still not bored of it, which I think means I've got the balance right. I'm looking forward to seeing what scores other people get and just how badly I get beaten at my own game :)

8. Submitted to the app store

Super Mashteroids has been submitted to the app store! Annoyingly the review time is up around 11 days at the moment :(

Watch this space soon or follow us on this twitter thing I've just learned about and set up:

@BinaryCrucible

or #BinaryCrucible - I don't know, one of those or something!

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Wow! Instabuy for me too! Dev said all the right things IMO! Cool old school game looks like a cross between Asteroids and Galaga---couple of my very favorite games from back in the day! Looking forward to this!:D

10. O-Skiz

O-Skiz New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Retro fun!

Looks and sounds like a whole load of retro fun. Cant wait to get it. I hope its like real old school games; hard, challenging but you want more and don't feel cheated when you lose. Looks like its all touch screen as well, i.e. no overlayed thumb stick which makes me happy as they are generally not that great. Wonder what game modes are in the game?
    If it is anything like the games bigrand1 mentioned then its going to very addictive.

11. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States

Oh... I am in love. ♥️
    I am very excited for the release. Everything you wrote is very reasonable!
    Thanks.

12. The original design was to have everything onscreen at the same time - Asteroids, galaga style, space invaders, centipede etc. but it was a bit of a busy mess :) After doing some play testing I realised that "asteroids + 1" worked really nicely, so that's what each level is, asteroids + a classic, with a Gorf (my favourite as a kid, so it gets two different levels) style progression.

Each time you complete a cycle you get another asteroid on screen until you get an insane amount of stuff happening and the pixels really fly! When you have a fully powered up triple shot, plus rapid fire and startburst you have hundreds of bullets on screen and the particle effects engine is moving thousands of pixels for explosions - it's insane, you will love it!

13. Super Mashteroids is LIVE

The game is up on the app store now everybody! It is FREE - here is a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id915466127

Apple's search is as slow as ever to update, so it might be a few hours before you can just type the game name in and get to it.

Since the game is out now this will be my last post in this thread - please send your feedback and suggestions to me in the new thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=245462