What's wrong...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rjsim, Dec 24, 2010.

1. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Recently, a game that I co-created went live to the App Store and I was pumped to get it out. I had a promo code contest all ready to go to create a buzz about it. I created the thread... and nothing. No one wanted a free promo code. Changed the rules to just giving it out... and nothing.

So the question I have is... am I doing something wrong? Or is the game just not worth the time getting a free promo code? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

It actually looks like a cool game. The problem isnt necessarily your game, but people are so used to seeing games not worth buying, so they may not click on one they haven't heard of before.

3. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I agree with what Paradiso said. I also think that it's bad timing--there have been a LOT of major developers having massive sales on very popular games lately. There have also been a lot of major releases by big developers. I think most people have been focusing their attention on these games, so that a new game by a small developer will not get the attention that it might usually get.
    I can see where it would be kind of disappointing, but I really think it's just bad timing...

4. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Paradiso & gekkota - Thanks for the feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Could it possibly be also that its strictly for the iPad rather than Universal? Any tips to help spread the word more?

5. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

It depends on who you want your target audience to be. More people own iPhones and iPods than iPads.

Many indie devs have a hard time getting the necessary exposure and sales to justify staying with a game, and so they drop it, which is a bad move in my opinion.

I've always found it best to take pride in anything with your name on it that your putting in the public market. Reputation and word of mouth are big factors in the success of a game. Just look at any of those casual games that are selling like crazy for months on end.

In the end it comes down to the actual game though, and having never played it I can't tell you if it's good or not. On this platform some games come off as cheaply made, "coded in my spare time" projects, while others have that special Quality X that makes it catch on.

I've always been taught to do what you love and the money will come. If this is what you love doing, don't give up :)

6. Ikeandme

Ikeandme New Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I agree with the poster who said bad timing. Indeed, the timing might not have been worse in fact. For an indie developer you're just asking for your game to be swallowed up by the bigger name devs.

Also, being an IPad only game just made it twice as difficult on yourself IMO. Youre cutting off a huge buyer population on an already unestablished game.

Another thing, looking at your main thread I think it might help if you used You Tube for your gameplay video since many people browse on their idevice and I can't even view it on my iPod touch. Also embed the video rather than have a link so it's ready to go and just looks better that way. Links get overlooked but nobody will miss an embedded video, and gameplay vids are hugely important.

Good luck sir! Hope you have success. :)

7. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    guess it's because of the time. now the big names rule the store. maybe try it later. usually, we don't launch contest for promocode giveaway. i think for the promocode, the thing you could do most is to ask people LIKE your facebook page. if you make the procedure too long, no one will be willing to try it.

8. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Thanks again for all your input. Anybody needing a promo code, let me know.